Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check one off the bucket list! S&W Model 52-1

Boolit Master

Check one off the bucket list! S&W Model 52-1

A very neat & interesting gun to me since I first caught wind of it. I like the odd & obscure and even better if its a work of true craftsmanship. The S&W 52 checks those boxes! A very well made, hand fitted gun from the good ole days of S&W. Furthermore a highly accurate autoloader that is specifically chambered for .38 Special Wadcutters, NEAT! The 38/357 is a favorite of mine and I love wadcutters. I had to have a Model 52 in my life! Been looking for one casually for years. Finally broke the stalemate last weekend! Its not in as super condition cosmetically as I wanted but it has a loving home now. Gorgeous gun, fit, finish, bluing, etc is amazing. This one is no newer than 1964, a 52-1. Superb 1.0lb trigger, a treat to shoot. I am loving this old sweetheart!

Tune in next week for another Bucket List gun! Same bat time, same bat channel!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220212_230032.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	296184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220212_230007.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	296183
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 02-15-2022 at 06:43 PM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    The only CENTERFIRE S&W pistol for which I ever had much affection! I hope you enjoy it, thoroughly!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    I love this sweetheart of a gun! I have owned and still own other S&W autoloaders and a hoard of revolvers. This 52-1 is already at the tippy top of my favorite Smith's overall. I let my shooting buddies handle and shoot it Fri night, boy the looks on their faces! Priceless! A few were perhaps a little pessimistic of my excitement about it or what the buzz was about. A few rounds downrange more than adequately had them star-struck!

The gun is just a phenomenal shooter and so much fun to shoot. Its everything I hoped a 52 would be. No other factory gun has ever come close to or rivaled my custom built Atlas 2011 race gun but the 52 has.

Now the hunt for a few extra mags begins. Only came with the one, no box or the accessories unfortunately.

Probably get some beautiful Nill stippled grip panels for it. Keeping the originals.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Congratulations on the 52-1, they are wonderful pistols. I have a 52-2 that I love to shoot, makes me look good at the range!
    Good luck on the magazines, they are a bear to find and expensive when you do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    Congratulations on the 52-1, they are wonderful pistols. I have a 52-2 that I love to shoot, makes me look good at the range!
    Good luck on the magazines, they are a bear to find and expensive when you do.
    It is a tack driver for sure! Naturally, accuracy is what these .38 mid-range guns are all about! I'll have to sort out a load for it that it likes. I already have sorted out most of the wadcutter brass from the standard .38 brass. I have a small hoard of wadcutter molds to choose from. A couple of Hensley & Gibbs wadcutter molds in that mix. So far all I've shot is some boxes of Precision Delta's 148gr factory loads. Its okay stuff but not great. They used a micro lubed wadcutter (kind with "cannalure" rings rolled in it) and they have leaded the first few inches of every gun ive shot them through. On the other hand, my wadcutters lubed with Ben's Red have been fantastic. Need to load some ladders to test.

I have quickly discovered the hen's teeth rarity of magazines for the 52's. Wish it came with more for what they bring. Ill be looking for some.
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 02-13-2022 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Incorrect bullet weight
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master
    You might go over to S&W.com and expand your search for mags, but hold on to your hat; they will be expensive! Fortunately, serious Bullseye shooters who owned and shot Model 52s regularly would often get several extra mags. When old shooter’s kits get sold off, sometimes extra mags will show up, but most S&W folks know what they’re worth.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy

Congratulations on a wonderful pistol! I have the -2 version. The RCBS 140 wadcutter is the most accurate in mine over 2.8 grains of Win Super Target. If you're shooting one handed bullseye style, it will teach you about proper follow through.

Cool.
    They'll even make tight groups for Stevie Wonder!

A life long friend fell into a unfired 52-2, he kept it a few years and never shot it.
    I bought it from him, and shot it a bunch. Then sold it back to him, and again- he never fired it.
    Last year, I bought it back..... I think we're making a fair amount of extra money selling it back & forth.

Doing the research of when they were in their hay-day, there was a vintage Lyman DEWC mold
    that was the all time favorite for them. I found one on ebay for $40. with handles.
    From looking at the heat marks, I don't think it had made more than about 10 pounds of boolits.

There never was anybody making magazines for them except S&W.
    They're so rare on the market- I think even a treasure map to find one will be expensive.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats. I did not know about them. I do now. Thanks.

That is a fine pistol! Aren't the magazines for Wadcutter ammo only? To shoot the 158gr- are you single loading them?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys! I understand the love! Such an obscure but neat pistol and I love weird stuff!

I have not seen anything but S&W mags so I believe that. I know what it feels like having a gun with rare mags/parts but this is another level up. I wish Triple K or someone made repops of them.

Sorry correction! 148gr wadcutters! These were from Precision Delta as loaded ammo.

The M52 is definitely a wadcutter only gun, 5rd mags.
    You couldn't get more in because of the rim stacking. At 5rds the bottom cartridge is pretty steep. You might be able to just barely poke the bullet out or a button nose WC but an empty case is pretty much the max OAL for this gun!

My only concern with mine besides finding mags is the 52 & 52-1 had a more failure prone extractor that was redesigned for the 52-2. I'd like to find a spare just in case. Again hens teeth.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy

Had 1 several years ago that I tried for Internatioal Bullseye. Great gun but was hard yo switch back and forth between it and 1911 which was used for 90% of my shooting. One gun I regret selling,
    GW

Boolit Grand Master

I would recommend replacing the recoil springs. Most of the ones I have handled needed new ones. If it kicks more than you think it should it's past needing a new one.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004189437
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

The M52 is definitely a wadcutter only gun, 5rd mags.
    .[/QUOTE]

Its made to compete at some level of competition against & along with revolvers.
    One in the chamber, and 5 in the magazine to start.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    This example thus far has very gentle cycling. The recoil spring does feel quite soft however with the Precision Delta load it wouldn't always eject nor pickup the next round. The slide wasn't coming all the way back. Recoil was absurdly soft & gentle. Like a loud .22 really. But something I will keep an eye on as I work up a load for it.

Didn't know it was common to barney load for these but makes sense if you are competing with six guns.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Its made for 'mid-range' wadcutters.
    I load mine down a notch from full house DEWCs, and it does great.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Its made for 'mid-range' wadcutters.
    I load mine down a notch from full house DEWCs, and it does great.
    Ya, I see no reason whatsoever to be trying to set lead speed records here. Not at all what the gun or cartridge is meant to do. As long as it just cycles & feeds, that all I need. Accuracy is the play.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post

Now the hunt for a few extra mags begins. Only came with the one, no box or the accessories unfortunately.
    Wow. Last time I checked you could get new ones for $49.99 and used for less. Current fleabay prices are $185 to $225.00 each. Makes me glad I have a dozen or so.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-13-2022 at 10:14 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats, a Model 52 is on my bucket list. I once had the chance to put a magazine through one and immediately fell in love.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Its made to compete at some level of competition against & along with revolvers.
    One in the chamber, and 5 in the magazine to start.
    Never seen a 52 used for anything other than what it was design for and that is NRA Bullseye. NRA Bullseye does allow revolvers but that is 5 round load only. What usage did the 52's see that required 6 round barney loading?

I really really really wished I purchased both versions of the 952's but not willing to pay what they are going for today.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-14-2022 at 04:03 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast