WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was suspected of being a thief, then saw an actual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Well done. At my walmart and Lowes the workers are told to just let them go. My stepson was head of Loss Prevention for about a week at Lowes. He quit after being told to let the thieves go with around 5000 dollars of items. If the store does not care why should you.
    It is not they don't care.
    If someone gets hurt in the process, even the criminal, the store stands to lose a lot more in litigation. Yes, crooks can sue.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    So, made my weekly reluctant trip to Walmart today to get supplies. Leaving on a road trip to AZ next week and needed a large storage locker for the back of my SUV for gear. They had one clearance for $30.

So, I grabbed a shopping cart and made my way to the automotive section to get one. I put it in the cart and it barely fit. It filled the entire cart. But, I still needed food for the week, plus Superbowl snacks for tomorrow.

So, I got the bright idea to just put the items I needed in the locker. But, the lid wouldn't stay open. So every time I went to get an item, I would lift the lid of the tub and put it in, then close the lid. I got a few strange looks doing this.

I got the tub about half full and was going to do self-checkout, but I figured that would be a logistical nightmare due to the tiny little shelf space you get for your items.

So, I headed to one of three open checkouts.

Then I noticed a customer that had given me a funny look earlier, was now talking to a couple of Walmart employees and pointing at me. While I was waiting in line to checkout. One of them was speaking into a walkie talkie. Uh oh.

I finally got up to the belt and was able to open up the locker and start pulling all of the items out and place them on the belt. The employees and the customer stopped watching and left the area.

So, I had a nice chat with the cashier and she put all of my items back in the locker and handed me my receipt.

I start heading towards the door when I see a male and female walking from the grocery area with a box of merchandise. They are college-aged and he's a redhead wearing an old Army field jacket, and she's a chunky brunette that is mixed race of something wearing sweats.

They just walk briskly out the doors right in front of me, laughing.

The female immediately lit up a cigarette and the male started opening the box. Looked like it was a box of protein bars or something.

My first reaction was to yell at them or try to detain them.

Then I realized I was carrying. Then I thought about the actual potential outcomes and risk and rewards.

I decided to keep my mouth shut and just go to my car and leave.

It's simply not worth it to confront a criminal, while armed, over a box of protein bars being stolen from Walmart.

I even thought about simply taking a picture of them and their car, then letting store security know, but decided they would likely not want to be bothered over a $10 theft.

It went against every fiber of my being to not intervene and prevent the theft, but in today's world, it's just not worth it, sadly.
    Walmart cashiers are trained to open large storage containers and look inside. I had bought one and nothing else and quipped "do you think I am stealing steaks in there?" the cashier laughed and said it is store policy to stop theft. Apparently it happens more than you would think.

"You shall not steal" is pretty clear, and is listed as one of the commandments passed from God to man. If we do it, we are clearly guilty. If we allow it, I believe we are also are guilty to some degree. As a society, if we train a huge number of citizens that theft is acceptable, and don't hold them accountable, we do them no favor. And as a society, we are probably guilty, and will be judged accordingly. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    You did the smart thing but I know it still made you mad!

When I had my part time electrical business I would sell scrap copper once or twice a year. They would take my picture with the scrap, take a picture of my drivers license, my vehicle license and a thumb print. All the while a little gangbanger would come in, drop a pile of copper freon line on the scale, get paid and leave! It would make my blood boil! I would be in my 1 ton van with ladders on top and electrical material inside. Obviously a work truck! I said enough about it one time that I was told not to come back!
    I used to be a lot more involved in a scrap business. That is an industry that needs to be looked at closer. Dad and I would haul in 1 ton of steel every week for a while, just a small side business, but the bigger money was of course copper and brass. Electric motors too if you could get them. That's way too much work for what it is. The last time I calculated out the dollars per hour I got out of it, I said enough.

It's dirty, rough work, and you spend hours sorting and smashing, and hauling for a pittance, just to be screwed by the scrappers. When I was real young I got a whole bunch of aluminum cans, and spent a whole day smashing them. It was one heck of a haul. I got dad to haul them in, and something happened, and all I got was $20. It wasn't the same guy, but there used to be a guy who worked the scales in St. Cloud, MN who would stick his foot under the scale to make it lighter, then steal the extra. It doesn't take much to steal $25 of brass, and he was doing that to every person, all day, for months. Plus scrap attracts criminals. All the gutted cars, or even just stolen catalytic converters. Now you can't even scrap a car without a title. Junkyards are usually better. It's the precious metal scrap places that are legal criminal organizations.

It's a bad deal all around. There's a lot of bad people doing horrible things out there. I don't like punk thieves either, but it isn't worth it to go after the guy stealing a box of nothing. They are a drop in the bucket of the scum that is crawling around unseen.

Boolit Grand Master

Its sad that stores either can't or won't battle thieves. I'm more of a rooftop Korean kinda guy than a sheep!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I used to be a lot more involved in a scrap business. That is an industry that needs to be looked at closer. Dad and I would haul in 1 ton of steel every week for a while, just a small side business, but the bigger money was of course copper and brass. Electric motors too if you could get them. That's way too much work for what it is. The last time I calculated out the dollars per hour I got out of it, I said enough.

It's dirty, rough work, and you spend hours sorting and smashing, and hauling for a pittance, just to be screwed by the scrappers. When I was real young I got a whole bunch of aluminum cans, and spent a whole day smashing them. It was one heck of a haul. I got dad to haul them in, and something happened, and all I got was $20. It wasn't the same guy, but there used to be a guy who worked the scales in St. Cloud, MN who would stick his foot under the scale to make it lighter, then steal the extra. It doesn't take much to steal $25 of brass, and he was doing that to every person, all day, for months. Plus scrap attracts criminals. All the gutted cars, or even just stolen catalytic converters. Now you can't even scrap a car without a title. Junkyards are usually better. It's the precious metal scrap places that are legal criminal organizations.

It's a bad deal all around. There's a lot of bad people doing horrible things out there. I don't like punk thieves either, but it isn't worth it to go after the guy stealing a box of nothing. They are a drop in the bucket of the scum that is crawling around unseen.
    Right before I retired from the power company I caught a copper thief redhanded. He was cutting down copper lines with a set of tree trimming loppers on a stick. He was arrested, hauled off to jail and was home before I was, having to stay and clean up his mess. I ask the cops if he could stay and help but they said no. He did about $5000 worth of damage and got a year of probation. They were stealing us blind and the cops and my company couldn't care less.

Sad state of affairs we have arrived at. Saddest part is we are all paying for it.

It's been my experience, (actual experience) that tweaker types will work incredibly hard for half the night to earn what they could make in an hour at a legitimate job.

They will often cause more damage in a few hours than they will ever earn in their entire lives.

They will steal something that an honest man has saved years to purchase, and sell it for enough dope to keep them happy for one day.

I could go on, but you get the point. The fact that our system doesn't stop them, and actually enables them to exist like this, is at least as criminal as the criminals themselves. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Best we can do in a situation like that is hopefully they choke on the goods
    Sometimes Karma lets you watch...

Boolit Master
    Best scrappie karma I ve heard was a crowd of misfits called the "Munsters"......they had loaded up their 8 ton truck with copper stolen off the railways,as they drove over tracks ,the back of the truck couldnt mount the high rail,either side .....truck got hit by a train,there was no part of the truck couldnt be loaded up by hand.....The wreck was at the police impound ,and included in the bits were some brake cylinders off the loco.........Sometime later ,the boss Munster spotted a big bit of copper cable laying on the roadway on the Gateway Bridge........he tried the lean out the door and scoop up cable trick........and got rolled flat .

Boolit Master

All thanks to the ambulance chasers. Common sense is no longer common.

Boolit Master

With this story, I could use a few months of going back to 1870…….

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Saw a clip from a Walmart. At least one store has new Steel cased steaks for sale. The packages has a tamperproof case made from what almost looks like chain link fencing to prevent theft.....

Boolit Bub
    I use to go get a bag of chicken tender from deli at Walmart walk around an shop an eat them. There was someone that would follow me around to see if I would stuff the bag on shelf . Always payed because I’m not loosing 10 fold. Done like the stealing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Saw a clip from a Walmart. At least one store has new Steel cased steaks for sale. The packages has a tamperproof case made from what almost looks like chain link fencing to prevent theft.....
    Yep, once had to enter a Walmart right near Gary Indiana. Anything of real value was in a locked up cage. That was a eye opener. Let’s just say the shopping populace was quite different from where we live.

Elections do have consequences, don't they?
    If you elect crooks to office, you soon have crooks everywhere.
    Trickle down thievery.

Moderator Emeritus

Tweaker near here was on an abandoned farm stealing copper. He saw the lines hanging where the transformer should be and thought they were dead... went 2 poles out towards the road, climbed up and got turned into a crispy critter by 21kv They found him smoking at the top of the pole, piles of copper from the house and barn... next day it was scheduled for the lines from the road to be taken down and the poles pulled. Place was torn down later that summer so the farmer could gain 5 more acres of crop land. Pity, it was a nice house and the barn was loaded with old growth oak that I would have loved to salvage. They burned it all.

Boolit Bub

What if

Large corporations don’t feel the loss of theft because they pass the cost on to the consumer.
    They do not submit claims to their insurance, for losses, in the fear that the premiums will increase or they may lose insurance because of too many claims.

What if someone could take the footage of the theft (with our liability culture everything is recorded).
    Determine who the thief is & if they can pay.
    Sue them in civil court for everything that can be counted (the loss prevention program costs, loss insurance premiums, investigators time, expenses, even the electricity cost of making & storing the footage from the CCTV, etc.).
    With a judgement, wage garnishment & a brand new criminal record it may make some consider redemption.

The ones who are not capable of paying…I don’t know as yet. Maybe forced labor until the debt is payed. But that strays too far toward criminalization of civil matters (debt prisons). Not a viable solution.

The companies could write the whole thing off as part of their loss prevention & loss insurance.

They probably would still charge us the extra 2% anyway.
    How do we tell the people not to steal when the government is the biggest thief of them all?

In Chicago, it got so bad that the crooks walk into a (higher end) store in the middle of the day, fill the bags they brought and leave. That is while employees are helplessly watching them and the "police" decided not to even chase or confront them. Just unbelievable what parts of our society turned into.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

I kind of don't have a problem with the debtors prison/labor camp type of thing. What most of these folks need, is a roof over their head, sobriety, good food, hard work, and the love of God. I don't mind forcing it on them, AND recouping some of the costs they have incurred. It doesn't have to be indentured slavery like three hundred years ago, and it would have to be run by the book. It would have to be hard to get into, and hard to get out of. Violent psychopaths would not have a place in my plan, and would be in prison where they belong.

I'm not saying this would fix all of them, but they would at least be off the streets, and supporting themselves to some degree; most of them, for the first time. As cream rises to the top, so will some of the bums who are given a chance to work their way out of the desperation and desolation they now live in.

And in case you think I'm just a starry eyed dreamer, let me say that twenty five years ago, I was one of these worthless bums who was the problem, not the solution. jd