RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price for a 5 gallon bucket of mixed wheel weights.

Boolit Master

Price for a 5 gallon bucket of mixed wheel weights.

I got a five gallon bucket of wheel weights from a tire shop for $25. Turned out to be about 50% steel and 45% lead. I am thinking I overpaid.
    How much are y’all paying for a bucket of mixed wheel weights?
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

Boolit Master

Last time I bought some about 5 years ago I paid $30 a bucket for 4 buckets and when I got finished sorting I had about one full bucket of usable stuff!
    Your price was better than mine!

Boolit Buddy
    Brother in law used to bring a bucket to me now and again from the shop he deals with. I asked him to stop as it was a hassle for him and the last one was about 25% lead. I am starting to think the wheel weights are drying up rather hard. Depends some on region I think but for me I am out of that game.

Boolit Grand Master

I won’t pay for unsorted wheel weights. It’s impossible to know what you will wind up with. Your bucket could have just as easily been all steel and zinc.

Speaking of zinc… are you sure all your non steel weights are lead? I would expect there to be zinc in a mixed bucket.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Not exactly a bargain, but you didn't really get burned either.

You might hang onto the Zinc, as Lead dries up, its the future of casting.
    There's videos on youtube where guys have already switched over to it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

OP,

that's what I have been paying and my sort results mostly match yours. Zinc content varies between 5 and 8 percent.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I got a five gallon bucket of wheel weights from a tire shop for $25. Turned out to be about 50% steel and 45% lead. I am thinking I overpaid.
    How much are y’all paying for a bucket of mixed wheel weights?
    My opinion is you didn't get burned but didn't get a real bargain. Your estimate of 45% lead should be somewhere between 45 and 70 pounds of lead, minus maybe 12% for the clips. So you have $25 invested in that much lead plus the cost of melting it and casting it into ingots.

Awhile back I passed on a bucket of supposably sorted weights for $50. I would have bought them if I was needing lead.

My last deal was twenty bucks a bucket, and I could fill my own bucket from 55 gallon drums. What a hassle! I got a pretty good bucket full, but spent a lot of time doing it. Haven't been back to do it again, so I must have enough lead. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    I will not pay for buckets of WW. to much work and you do not know what you are getting.By the time you sort then melt and remover the clips from the pot it is just a pain.My time is worth something and the risk of not getting much lead for your money to great.In my mind there are better ways of getting there without all the PITA.In the end WW are just another alloy to plug into the alloy calculator. they are not the cheep source of lead they use to be for most.You do not need WW to cast good bullet no majic there.

Boolit Master

I see more and more folks dissing the effort of reclaiming wheel weight alloys. I don't get it. From my recent experience rendered wheel weights are costing me about 45 cents a pound excluding propane costs. Still way less than other sources ($2.00 a pound). Yea, I'm retarded now and I have more spare time, but I'd still prefer to have that extra $1.50+ a pound in my pocket to bjy powder, primers and brass.

I was just doing some calculations to figure how much/cost of some hardball or foundry type alloy I would need to harden up my 400 pounds of near dead soft lead and decided I need to keep chasing after wheel weights for making 50/50.
    Last edited by oley55; 02-14-2022 at 12:35 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    COWW has completely dried up here in NY maybe most of the northeast. I've seen COWW selling for $2lb+ in S&S here. You did just fine, I also save the Zn for future use.

Boolit Grand Master

Thank God I put up my stash years ago. The future of reasonable cost alloys just looks so bleak…
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Last 10 buckets I finally got around to sorting, I averaged about 70percent lead WW ingots.. over several years of accumulating them Mostly cost me $0- a couple were as high as $20 per bucket
    . At 80, I think I got plenty.
    Most of my alloy is 90%COWW/10% Lino
    I also have a lifetime supply of the Lino
    Pays to shop ahead.
    beltfed/arnie of the "silver bullet brigade"

Boolit Buddy
    just paid 20 per 5gal bucket of WW... these are from a few decades ago. supposedly they were sorted but will sort again to be sure.

I had a shooting buddy sell his tire shop some 15 years ago and retire. He called me and said "...come and get all the WW's you can cart away".
    2500 lbs later I felt like I had enough.
    They are almost ALL lead with few steel and a few zinc. The barn is my storage area.
    Lots of stick ons that will be melted and sold some day. Probably some 300 lbs of those.
    I added a few buckets here and there when I could get them. I didn't need them but when they are available........
    I think i am set for the rest of my days.
    I'm not sure that I have actually PAID for a bucket. A couple of 6 packs or sodas or a box donuts usually was gratefully exchanged.
    Those were the good old days.
    I might try to get some pure lino someday when I start getting low on it. Down to my last 100 lbs.
    I am one lucky guy.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 02-15-2022 at 01:14 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Thank God I put up my stash years ago. The future of reasonable cost alloys just looks so bleak…
    Sometimes the opportunities present themselves,and you had better grab it or lose out.
    I listened to that little voice in my head that said "...grab everything you can" and I did.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Last time I tried to buy WW the tire shop wanted $185.00 for two buckets; no extra charge for the chaw, valve stems, zinc and trash. Thanks but no thanks.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Last time I tried to buy WW the tire shop wanted $185.00 for two buckets; no extra charge for the chaw, valve stems, zinc and trash. Thanks but no thanks.
    wheel weights or no, one does not need to imagine what their business model looks like.

Boolit Master
    I called around tire shops to see who else sold used wheel weights. Got nothing. One guy said: “The end of times is coming man! I can’t be gettin’ rid of my wheel weights!” Smart man.
    Seems like getting a worthwhile price on available wheel weights is a matter of luck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Speaking of zinc… are you sure all your non steel weights are lead? I would expect there to be zinc in a mixed bucket.
    The 5% unreported was zinc and a heavy rubber. I was surprised at how little zinc I found.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast