Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: About cowboy hats.

Boolit Master

My mother and the Marines shared the same opinion about hats indoors.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    My mother and the Marines shared the same opinion about hats indoors.
    As did mine also. WW2 era, a Major of combat arms was permitted to carry a swagger stick in lieu of a pistol belt, if OD or other duty status, while aboard ship or in CONUS, but hats were not permitted in the mess or in the club. By Vietnam era only drill instructors at recruit depots,and O6 and above elsewhere could carry swagger sticks. Then still not permitted in combat areas.

The custom on swagger sticks was done away with about the same time some ninny Nancy Boy decided that it was permitted for Marines to carry umbrellas...
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-12-2022 at 10:58 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Great post Ric! Cowboy hatbands are also a good place to stash one's lube grooves!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    [QUOTE=doc1876;5354271 I gave up taking them off in the restaurants due to no place safe to set it.[/QUOTE]

This. The only restaurant here with a coat check, they set a hat flat on the brim on a shelf. No thanks. Every other place has a rack on the wall next to the door. I'm not hanging a $900 hat where it can be walked off with, or have it abused by the uneducated.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I was always asked if my head was cold! LOL
    Yes, my head is cold. I was taught not wear a hat at the table but my hair is almost gone on top and it seems I am always seated under the air conditioner duct so I wear my hat. I'm getting old enough care more about being comfortable than all the fussy stuff.

Moderator Emeritus

There is a lot of truth in this and I loved it; copied it; and shared it!

Plus the hat also protects those of us with pasty white Irish skin!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    This. The only restaurant here with a coat check, they set a hat flat on the brim on a shelf. No thanks. Every other place has a rack on the wall next to the door. I'm not hanging a $900 hat where it can be walked off with, or have it abused by the uneducated.
    900 bucks !? I've bought cars for less than that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I was taught that it was improper to remain covered indoors unless you had the duty watch and were armed.
    Yep
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I mainly wear a ball cap, but after 20 years in the Army/Navy I don't wear one much any more. I'll take it off in a restaurant or someone else's house (yep, the DI's got that point across very well) but places like Walmart (where I'm holding the cart and purse for my wife) or public places I'll leave it on.

I can't imagine going about all day with three pounds on top of my head!

If I ever find a baseball cap with a "Build Back Better" logo on it I'm going to buy it. When it becomes an antique I'll have the only one around... It'll be worth a fortune!!!

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master

"Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

900 bucks !? I've bought cars for less than that.
    Probably got less use.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Being a hillbilly in Tennessee with no cattle, I never wore a cowboy style hat. But when I passed 70, I quit worrying what other folks thought and bought a 1908 style cavalry hat to wear to my 8th Cavalry regimental reunions and gun shows. I get a lot of comments. My wife says I look like a dork, but like I said, I am too old to worry about what flatlanders and yuppies think. This summer I will wear it fishing and such.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1908 pattern hat.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	296185

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Probably got less use.
    Most likely so. Like anything else it pays to buy quality equipment if you are going to use it. I have motorcycle gear that some would balk at the price of. Not many cowboys other than wannabes in Kentucky where I grew up. I am thinking about getting a quality straw hat of some kind. I am outside a lot and the sun here in Florida is brutal on me. Need something that will shade my ears and face better yet stay on my head in a stiff breeze.

Boolit Master

a great read, but I have a serious cowboy hat question. Ever since high-back seats became the standard, how the heck can you wear one in a vehicle?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

I watched an interesting Craftmen's Legacy episode a couple days ago. It featured Nate Funmaker a Master Hatter. Pretty interesting old tools, fitting of the hat to the individual as in color, brim width, crown and trim. I'm sure you would pay well for the craftsmanship.
    I use a straw wide brim most of the summer.

Boolit Grand Master

I as taught your hat came off indoors, during the passing of a funeral procession, during the national anthem, and when respect was due.
    In a restaurant or when sitting my hat rests on my knee. I have lost costs and hats from racks. Was at a funeral and put in a real bind as a gentleman grabbed the wrong dress coat and my keys were in the pocket luckily he brought it back shortly after he found out.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Most likely so. Like anything else it pays to buy quality equipment if you are going to use it. I have motorcycle gear that some would balk at the price of. Not many cowboys other than wannabes in Kentucky where I grew up. I am thinking about getting a quality straw hat of some kind. I am outside a lot and the sun here in Florida is brutal on me. Need something that will shade my ears and face better yet stay on my head in a stiff breeze.
    These are a pretty good hat for summer. I use a stampede strap on mine, worn on the back of the head, rather than the dorky under the chin of early western movies.

https://www.crazycrow.com/mountain-m...-palm-leaf-hat
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

How many folks either know what this is or have one...

Attachment 296205
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Hat carrier for your pickup. Holds the hat with the crown down and the brim against the ceiling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast