RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse fart loads for .223 ?

Mouse fart loads for .223 ?

Yeah so just kinda wanna go in the opposite direction of what I been doing lately with .223. Want a nice Lil load I can tinker with @ 10-50 max instead of blowing all my .22lr. got a bunch of pc'd GC Lee .225 boolets I need to get out of rotation and this new single shot tive been playing with so anyone go a nice accurate kinda quiet mouse fart load for .223 ?
    I go a brand new jug of H110 and win 748 which I think is common for this application. But not super sure about that, just looking at what I already have Also got a roll of poly fill if I need to use a filler.
    So anything ?
    Last edited by Wolfdog91; 02-11-2022 at 06:10 PM.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Neither H110 nor 748 are safe in greatly reduced loads. WST, 231, TiteGroup would be better. Start at 3 grains with lead bullet for subsonic to use with can. No filler is needed.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Don’t have either of those powders. I use Bullseye. 60 gr NOE mould, lubes with Carnauba Red, Hornady gas check. 3.1 grs. gives me 1163 fps from my 24” barrel. Filler not recommended.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master
    Those kinds of loads may have made some sense when SRP's were $.03/ea. Not very wise when SRP's are north of $.10 ea.

If you are playing at 10-50 yards get a decent air rifle and shoot pellets that are $.015. BTW, I do a lot of playing with air guns. Sub 1" at 50 yards consistently.

If you want to play with .223 and have the time and money to waste try 5.5-7.5 gr of Red Dot or Promo. No filler needed. I would not use H110 or 748. Read the thread you started on "Developing Loads"
    Last edited by dverna; 02-11-2022 at 10:25 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

I was shooting 47 grain Boolits out of a 10 inch barrel chambered in 222 rem using Tite Group but don't remember the amount. I was using 3.1 grains of Tite Group to launch 75 grain Boolits out of a 16 inch 223 rem barrel subsonic.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Those kinds of loads may have made some sense when SRP's were $.03/ea. Not very wise when SRP's are north of $.10 ea.

If you are playing at 10-50 yards get a decent air rifle and shoot pellets than are $.015. BTW, I do a lot of playing with air guns. Sub 1" at 50 yards consistently.

If you want to play with .223 and have the time and money to waste try 5.5-7.5 gr of Red Dot or Promo. No filler needed. I would not use H110 or 748. Read the thread you started on "Developing Loads"
    Actually already have a few lol. In the process of rebuilding my PCP though but got a nice Springer I shoot alot. But on the bright side I've actually seen some WST and Red Dot here and there sooo might get some but just had to put some new tires on the car so guess this will be put on the back burner too lol

And I've read it a few times now actually good info.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Moderator Emeritus

I would think this "might" transfer to 223 ...maybe?

I played around with subsonic in my 22 Hornet (Ruger #3) 45 gr FN with 1.5gr Red Dot and also 1.2gr Red Dot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Primers are more expensive than .22s and a whole lot harder to find. I’d swap you .22s for primers if you were closer.

Boolit Master
    you might have a lot more fun with a 22 hornet or 25-20 , the slower twist rate might be a big plus. those mouse fart 223's won't cycle an AR
    do you have any 4895, that might work at 1/2 the normal powder

Boolit Master
    I don't agree that light loads with H110 are dangerous. I shot a lot of them in my 22 Hornet in competition. At 100 yards I used a load of 7.4 g grains but I don't remember the weight of the bullet but it was probably 40 grains. They were shot out of a Thompson Contender with a 14 inch barrel and I got 5 shot groups as small as three tenths of an inch and .4 was quite common. I kept getting tighter and tighter groups as I reduced the load and when I hit 7 grains, I had squib loads and had to push the bullet out of the barrel. As long as I stayed at the 7.4 grains I never had a problem. I got away with a few 7.2 loads but they weren't better than the 7.4 so I stayed there and didn't take a chance on that happening while in competition. What was interesting is that when looking in the case, the powder was still in there and sort of turned into a goo that I had to clean out with a nail. The competition was shooting groups at 100 with a pistol and you could lay on the ground but the gun could not touch the ground nor could anything else except the person. I would do a split and lay the gun on my right thigh and put my left hand over the rear of the gun and my fingers under the heel while my right hand was on the grip and trigger. I had my trigger down around 4 oz. and a 24 power scope on the top and I looked through the scope upside down. The competition didn't last too long because I was way too much better than anyone else most of who were shooting while lying on their back with the barrel on the side of their knee. If you shoot reduced loads with H110 watch out for squib loads but we have to watch out for that no matter what. I would guess people were blowing their guns up back then because they didn't check when a squib happened. It wouldn't function a semi auto so no problem.

Boolit Master
    I wish I could remember my tite group load for you. I stopped just as soon as I started with it due to primer costs. Been burning double duces. Well until today when I got my PCP back together. Ah silence and good to 120 yards for a penny. If I can remember I will post it up. I say no to H110.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Old Caster View Post
    I don't agree that light loads with H110 are dangerous. I shot a lot of them in my 22 Hornet in competition. At 100 yards I used a load of 7.4 g grains but I don't remember the weight of the bullet but it was probably 40 grains. They were shot out of a Thompson Contender with a 14 inch barrel and I got 5 shot groups as small as three tenths of an inch and .4 was quite common. I kept getting tighter and tighter groups as I reduced the load and when I hit 7 grains, I had squib loads and had to push the bullet out of the barrel. As long as I stayed at the 7.4 grains I never had a problem. I got away with a few 7.2 loads but they weren't better than the 7.4 so I stayed there and didn't take a chance on that happening while in competition. What was interesting is that when looking in the case, the powder was still in there and sort of turned into a goo that I had to clean out with a nail. The competition was shooting groups at 100 with a pistol and you could lay on the ground but the gun could not touch the ground nor could anything else except the person. I would do a split and lay the gun on my right thigh and put my left hand over the rear of the gun and my fingers under the heel while my right hand was on the grip and trigger. I had my trigger down around 4 oz. and a 24 power scope on the top and I looked through the scope upside down. The competition didn't last too long because I was way too much better than anyone else most of who were shooting while lying on their back with the barrel on the side of their knee. If you shoot reduced loads with H110 watch out for squib loads but we have to watch out for that no matter what. I would guess people were blowing their guns up back then because they didn't check when a squib happened. It wouldn't function a semi auto so no problem.
    I agree that reducing H110 is not dangerous......Until it is. Even the manufacturer says don't reduce it more than 10%. It won't have bad effects every time, not even most of the time. But when it does as the old saying goes...LOOK OUT!
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Reduced loads of H110/296 can, indeed, be dangerous. Most often the caution comes with loads to be used in revolvers. Additionally, in larger capacity case reduced loads with H110/296 can also be danger [as in potential for S.E.E.] with jacketed bullets and hard heavy for cartridge cast bullets.

The exception to the rule is with reduced loads in small capacity cases in rifles such as the 22 Hornets as mentioned in a previous post. That situation [small capacity case in a rifle] is the exception, not the rule. Because it is safe does not negate the potential for "unsafe" in other conditions/applications.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    231, Bullseye , Red dot , and my personal favorite ... 700X . I loaded about thirty pounds of 58 grain bullets with 700X back when primers were much cheaper Cronograph told me they are doing almost 1500 feet per second . .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Go back into the archives here. About ten years ago one writer put out a list of his mousefart loads with Bullseye starting about 900 fps and worked up. IMHO, the only problem with Bullseye is that the loads are so tiny that you barely see them even when looking into the case with a flashlight to identify missed or double charges. I once had a T/C carbine barrel that absolutely loved a Bullseye load that had an MV of 1100 fps giving 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards with iron sights and a 53 gr CB.

Boolit Master

.22 is really becoming available. It's not the hens tooth it was a year ago. If you are really struggling to find any, PM me. I've got a pile.

Boolit Master
    I have started with 1.3 to 1.5 hrs Bullseye under a cast 44 grain bullet.
    Sized .224 or .225, no gas check, they are quiet and very close range accuracy.
    Also try a grain of Bullseye under a .22 lead pellet or a round ball.
    Your mileage will vary, but it's all experimental.
    Need I recommend checking the bore after each shot and run a wet patch thru after every five shots at least to remove primer gook.
    Check the bore after each shot and again when you start to chamber a round!
    Safety first when experimenting and treat all these experiments as a dangerous bullet shot from an actual firearm.
    The law does.
    When someone mentions cycling an AR, I feel that they have no concept of what a mousefart load should be or achieve.
    Any load that cycles an AR will need ear plugs generally, which is a far cry from a catsneeze/ mousefart level load using sound level as a measuring stick.
    Just Sayin....*
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 02-16-2022 at 04:02 AM.

You may find some useful info in the following three articles:

https://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/t...the-223-part-1

https://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/t...the-223-part-2

https://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/t...the-223-part-3

Castpics has some great articles there. It has been pretty static for awhile. I'd print the info out while it's available. Unfortunately some of these older websites evaporate occasionally.

Good luck.

And it would be great if we could incorporate the info on this site, I don't know if it is doable, I think there is a size limit on what can be posted here.
    Last edited by 15meter; 02-16-2022 at 09:35 PM.

Boolit Master

Nuthin there on the links
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Might be too late. Looks like all the articles have been lost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast