WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Another satisfied Dougguy customer

Another satisfied Dougguy customer

I sent Doug my Webley MKVI cylinder that had chambers at .449. He opened them up to .4525. The improvement is staggering. It went from all shots on a pizza box to a solid 1.5" at 20yd gun! Many thanks to DougGuy and fast turn-around too.
    This is a cut cylinder too, so no worry about originality.

Love happy endings.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

About the thickness of an average human hair removed. Amazing the difference it can make!

I just got my Redhawk .357 cylinder back from Doug.
    Amazing short turn around from here in remote Alaska !!

I am looking forward to some shooting and load testing when the weather gets a little warmer!
    -18F right now.

Bob

Boolit Master

DougGuy is da man.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Agreed! I just got a GP100 cylinder back from him last week. It was leading badly because the mouths were too tight. He fixed that problem!
    From Above Only, And Not Beneath!

Boolit Master
    He fixed a TC Encore bbl for me that I thought was toast. It came back in perfect condition. Great work, reasonable price, and fast turn around. Two thumbs up for this gentleman.

Boolit Master

Made my Canik TP9 a lot easier to load for. Throated Match 9mm barrel to chamber 358 lead GW

Boolit Master

Doug is the man… he did my 41 Mag, 44 Spec, and my 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawks.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    There's a guy who calls himself a gunsmith, works outta Flagstaff AZ "I think" Converted a revolvler, for me, which involved a new barrel and cylinder. He worked the throats in 2's.
    2@.004, 2@.005, and 2@.006 OVERSIZE! Called to inquire after shooting and found issues, Told me it wasn't the cylinder throats that make a gun accurate its the barrel. Told me I was talking the thickness of less than a business card and that the throats don't matter. Threw a article writer buddies name around says he agrees with him. I don't! Actually seemed to be insinuating the customer is never right. Hmm But with examples of sixguns from Clements, Stroh, Trappers, Cogan............ properly built, modified, with the work done, I do have somewhat of a clue.
    Doug has done a few jobs for me, all have proved Positive in accuracy and, clean lead free barrels. And no, the cordial, soft spoken, guns etcher/smith from AZ didn't make it right.
    I have that revolver sitting front and center in the safe to remind me of what oversize throats can and cant do for a revolver's cast bullets, and to remind me of who never to waste my money on ever again.
    Doug's a very knowledgeable, innovative guy, so now I'm waiting patiently for someone to be able to make exit holes smaller!
    Crash87
    Last edited by crash87; 02-12-2022 at 11:25 AM. Reason: more information
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Boolit Master
    +1 I just had my 41mag BH evened up. 3 chambers were in spec, 3 were too tight to chamber RF style bullets. All good now, shoots great. Quick return and great communication. It's not the first one I have had done by Doug.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by crash87 View Post
    He worked the throats in 2's. 2@.004, 2@.005, and 2@.006 OVERSIZE!
    Called to inquire after shooting and found issues, Told me it wasn't the cylinder throats that make a gun accurate its the barrel. Told me I was talking the thickness of less than a business card and that the throats don't matter.
    THANKS for making my DAY! OMG that's a GOOD one!

But come to think of it, Ruger did the SAME thing! To thousands and thousands of cylinders! 44 for instance. They used to use a Hitachi machine with 3 chucks. It would hold 3 reamers and they would gang ream 3 holes, index the cylinder over one hole and gang ream the other 3. So each reamer cut a "pair" of holes. The downside of this is that they would use reamers until they were just flat out unserviceable any more, they keep cutting smaller and smaller holes as the reamer wears, but they didn't replace them all at once, they would replace the WORST one, and if the other two still had any life left in them, they would keep them in production until they were too undersized to use any further.

So the end game was that they turned out these cylinders machined with 3 reamers of varying amounts of wear, which made them cut varying sizes of holes, so it was more typical than not to see these cylinders with 3 pairs of throats, each pair a different size. I can pin gage one of these cylinders years later after it was made, and tell exactly when they changed a reamer. Those two holes are always over .432" so that's a dead giveaway, and the other pairs would be .431" and .429" or .430" and .429" respectively.

I have said this for years, and several replies in this thread attest to this fact: The single most important thing about a cylinder, is how consistent the throats are.

You can always size to fit the throats whether the sizing die does it or the pressure from ignition obturates the boolit to throat diameter. Both ways work. It is however, VERY difficult to size to uneven throats.

Larger throats create less resistance to the boolit movement, less pressure is generated, which changes how that shot will recoil in your hand, and now the boolit leaves the muzzle with the gun canted just a tad bit different than the last two shots fired out of tighter throats, and that boolit flies to a different point of impact than the others. It's physics. Sir Isaac Newton "Got it!"

Y'all are TOO kind! Thank you for the kind words1
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.