Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck sizing

Boolit Master

Yes and No, or is it No and Yes??

308 WIN

I do in fact neck size with a Lee Collet die, BUT I first full length size with the Redding Body Die.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    My .25-20 has a chamber that is about .002" larger than standard maximum and a fired case has a slight bulge. So I only neck size and the case does not get worked elsewhere. No problem loading or extracting. I full length size most of my other calibers.

Boolit Master
    It depends on the situation. For varmint cartridges I neck size and barely set the shoulder back about .002". On a hunting cartridge like 7x57, where most shots will be around 100 yards or less and chambering reliability is more critical than absolute accuracy, I will full length resize. Also, when I have more than one gun in the same caliber I full length resize. For me the (supposed) advantage to neck sizing is that it should match the cartridge to the chamber better and hold the bullet more centered along the axis of the bore. Dose it work? I don't know. My aim is good but there aren't any benchrest or target shooting trophies sitting on my mantel, so I'll try anything if I think it might improve my groups or miss fewer varmints.

Boolit Master
    I neck size my competition cast boolit brass because I don't use much ,if any, lube and I have cases that have been reloaded 20 times or more before necks split.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    now that I no longer go to public ranges where I can pick up all the free brass I can carry I neck size for bolt action guns to extend brass life.
    but with previous fired brass that did not go though my gun I full length size my first reload. with new brass I never full length size and only neck size if its dented bad