MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: High BC .458 caliber casting molds.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    I like my 110’s, but they do tend to wear on you when shooting 40 or more rounds a day in a match than thee 90’s do
    Either chamber is good for long range and there are several that use the 2.6 case and do very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was worried about that. But, I think I will be able to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Yeah you should be very close to 1400 fps depending on the powder you use. Swiss Fg is a good choice. I know that my .45-100 shooting paper patched bullets is right at 1400 fps with Swiss 1.5, although I prefer Swiss Fg in that one.

Either way, the recoil will be stout if you shoot it prone. I had a C. Sharps .45-110 and shot it with a PP money bullet and 105gr of Goex Fg. Prone it was pretty hard not to get smacked in the glasses each shot. Sitting was nice. I sold that one and am down to one .45-110 now. A Shiloh bull barrel rifle that weighs 15lbs. It's quite pleasant off of the cross sticks.

A lot of us use 16:1 as it seems to be a bit more accurate with Money bullets, especially when you have a large powder charge. With that said, on the BACO web site you'll see that Dave Gullo has posted pictures of practice targets he's shot with them and they are really nice targets. I believe those were shot with 20:1. There isn't a lot of weight difference when going from 20:1 to 16:1, but the nose should hold up a little better and the bullet won't shorten as much.

Chris.
    On the plus side my portly nature has made prone shooting some what of a balancing act (think an unhappy seal on a ball). I think I will shoot it mostly from the sticks sitting. Plus it will make it easier for me to use my Spotting Scope to see hits on the target. Sadly, right now the furtherest range I have is a 200 yard range. But , I plan on traveling to do a few competitions.

I was just curious as to the reasons why the 16:1 ratio. I just want to learn everything possible.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You will find a lot of varying opinions on annealing, ranging from nope haven't never done it don't plan to, to after every firing. It's another one of those things your rifle and the target will tell you.
    BACO has when available stretched Starline 2.6 cases to fit the 2 7/8.
    Might want to see if you can find the Norma 3 1/4 cases they haven't been available for longer than the 2.9's.
    Occasionally there'll be some pop up on Guns International and Gun Broker, but the price is a bit scary if you start to thinking about needing 200 plus to cover you for match shooting.
    If not needing that many cases Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co in Worland Wy machines some high quality cases, but they're not for the faint of checkbook.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    For the 45-110

Norma 2.880 brass is the best bar none. 5/6 scope National titles won with it, 2 winter Nationals won with it, world Record PP group 5@200, world record score 8/10 at one mile.

The money bullet design is what wins these days, though an elliptical bullet has shown promise of late in a dual diameter PP bullet.

I have personally put over 30,000 rounds down range in 3 different 45-110s.

BACO had brass in just a couple months ago, I picked up a 100 more.

FG powder,,,, it’s not cannon powder btw, though 1.5 Eynsford is also good results touch over 1400fps very doable.

Kenny Wasserburger

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    For the 45-110

Norma 2.880 brass is the best bar none. 5/6 scope National titles won with it, 2 winter Nationals won with it, world Record PP group 5@200, world record score 8/10 at one mile.
    I have personally put over 30,000 rounds down range in 3 different 45-110s.

BACO had brass in just a couple months ago, I picked up a 100 more.

FG powder,,,, it’s not cannon powder btw, though 1.5 Eynsford is also good results touch over 1400fps very doable.

Kenny Wasserburger

https://schuetzenpowder.com/swiss-black-powder/

I was just going with what I read on this website that I have provided a link above with. I will stick with your recommendations. But that link lead me to believe that 1Fg was for cartridges bigger than .45-110 capacity.

I'm glad to hear that the Norma Brass will be success... Now I just need to find 100-300cases and I'm off to the races.

You will find a lot of varying opinions on annealing, ranging from nope haven't never done it don't plan to, to after every firing. It's another one of those things your rifle and the target will tell you.
    BACO has when available stretched Starline 2.6 cases to fit the 2 7/8.
    Might want to see if you can find the Norma 3 1/4 cases they haven't been available for longer than the 2.9's.
    Occasionally there'll be some pop up on Guns International and Gun Broker, but the price is a bit scary if you start to thinking about needing 200 plus to cover you for match shooting.
    If not needing that many cases Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co in Worland Wy machines some high quality cases, but they're not for the faint of checkbook.
    I was worried that the case neck after such a radical resizing and stretching might be too brittle. I know that BP isn't going to run the same pressures as the Smokeless powders but still after dozens of firings I was worried that might be a weak point in my homemade cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterNCUS View Post
    I was worried that the case neck after such a radical resizing and stretching might be too brittle. I know that BP isn't going to run the same pressures as the Smokeless powders but still after dozens of firings I was worried that might be a weak point in my homemade cartridges.
    I’m of a pretty good mind that the 110 with the extra heat and stress generated by the large powder charged benefits from a good annealing routine more than the shorter cartridges
    Hopefully you can come up with all the fixings by the time your rifle gets delivered and can get into this bpcr sport in fine fashion

Boolit Master
    Walter if you want to make that rifle work well, head over to the Shiloh forum and read everything Kenny's posted on the .45-110. I don't imagine that there is anyone (still alive) who's done more shooting with one than he has. For my .45-110 I pretty much took the advice he's given many times over the years and I'm a happy camper.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Walter if you want to make that rifle work well, head over to the Shiloh forum and read everything Kenny's posted on the .45-110. I don't imagine that there is anyone (still alive) who's done more shooting with one than he has. For my .45-110 I pretty much took the advice he's given many times over the years and I'm a happy camper.

Chris.
    I cannot become a member over there. They never bother to authenticate my registration.

Kenny has a book out on loading bpcr.

Kenny has a book out on loading bpcr.
    What is the title of this book?

Cant remember off hand but you could pm him and ask him where to find one

Cant remember off hand but you could pm him and ask him where to find one

I would love to but I signed up to Shiloh Sharps Forums last month and they still haven't reviewed my registration. I emailed twice and still no results. I have pretty much given up hope on becoming a member at the Shiloh Sharps Forum.

Boolit Buddy
    I would love to but I signed up to Shiloh Sharps Forums last month and they still haven't reviewed my registration. I emailed twice and still no results. I have pretty much given up hope on becoming a member at the Shiloh Sharps Forum.
    You can PM him here, I am guessing he means Kenny Wasserburger from post #44 above. Click his name and you'll have the option to contact him.

I’m of a pretty good mind that the 110 with the extra heat and stress generated by the large powder charged benefits from a good annealing routine more than the shorter cartridges
    Hopefully you can come up with all the fixings by the time your rifle gets delivered and can get into this bpcr sport in fine fashion

I was thinking the same thing with the Bigger 110 cartridge. I think I will be able to get into the stuff together. I need to find some dies for the 110 next. They seem to be all out stock at RCBS.

I am in the same boat as you are, still waiting, BUT you can read the forum, just can't reply.

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

There’s usually some lymans floating around
    I think you’ll like the cartridge when you get it all together
    eBay is sometimes strange place to find some of these different dies. That’s where I found a set of Redding for the 44-90 st

Quote Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
    I am in the same boat as you are, still waiting, BUT you can read the forum, just can't reply.

Dave
    True, but I cannot ask any questions. So, that means I am stuck with only what other people want to know. I still have been reading the forum but it is pretty useless because I cannot ask the questions I have.

There’s usually some lymans floating around
    I think you’ll like the cartridge when you get it all together
    eBay is sometimes strange place to find some of these different dies. That’s where I found a set of Redding for the 44-90 st

I never think of eBay. But I found that the RCBS seem to be in stock when I looked in Jan that wasn't the case.

Stuff is coming out in such limited supply nowadays that if you see something you’ll need best grab it

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast