WidenersLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: High BC .458 caliber casting molds.

High BC .458 caliber casting molds.

I'm new to the world of BPCR and I just bought my first C.Sharps 1875 Target model with 34 inch 1# heavy round barrel chambered in 45 2 7/8 inch Sharps. I am not looking for a really good high BC projectile for it. Does any one have suggestions?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    About as good as you'll find will be one of the 535 gr money bullet moulds from Buffalo Arms, you'll likely want to stock up on 16-1 alloy.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I know the postels are very popular and have a BC of about .400-.425 but I was thinking something with a spritzer type form. Does anyone make anything like that?

Spitzers don't fly as well. Don is right, the money nose flies very well at long distance as long as you cast it hard enough so the nose doesn't slump during launch. If you really want it to have a high BC, get a paper patched slick side one.

then I will use the Money Nose. Which one is best?

Quote Originally Posted by WalterNCUS View Post
    then I will use the Money Nose. Which one is best?
    It all depends on how your chamber is cut. Full diameter bands if you have some freebore, reduced front bands if you don't. For BPCR you're going to be in the neighborhood of 500 grains as long as you have sufficient twist to stabilize it. Of course everything changes if you want to paper patch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Spitzers don't fly as well. Don is right, the money nose flies very well at long distance as long as you cast it hard enough so the nose doesn't slump during launch. If you really want it to have a high BC, get a paper patched slick side one.
    Have to agree ! LEE makes a spitzer style - a good boolit out to 300 - on dead calm days it goes further ok - but any kind of wind at all and it goes loop the loop at about 400 - 450 (out of a 45/70) - I shot a five hole group at 500 with it one time about 18 inches across - four of the five were full profile holes in the plywood target. Took a good deal of talking from these guys here to convince me about this !!!!

What changes with a Paper Patch besides the Chamber?

See, that surprises me I would have thought a form that is closer to the G1 form factor would have better results.

The chamber doesn't need to change for paper patch. The money bullet profile is still about as good as it gets. What changes with paper patch is the greater attention to detail than is required for shooting grease groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    The chamber doesn't need to change for paper patch. The money bullet profile is still about as good as it gets. What changes with paper patch is the greater attention to detail than is required for shooting grease groove.
    I thought the chamber was slightly larger to account for the paper patch.

Walter
    Since I am only a couple of years into this Black Powder game, although 60 years into HI power Smokeless.
    What will tell you what I did, find a Lyman 535 gr Postel mold to get started, it is a good bullet and should work well. Then spend as much time as you can searching and reading on this forum and maybe also The Shiloh Forum. There is a tremendous wealth of knowledge to be had about both GG and PP shooting on these and other forums.

GOOD LUCK and have fun!!!

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Wish I'd had this one to try out when loading 45-70.
    Now I'll try to make it work in a muzzle loader.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterNCUS View Post
    I thought the chamber was slightly larger to account for the paper patch.
    No, a standard chamber works just fine. Paper patch bullets are either patched at or slightly over bore diameter or just short of groove diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    The US Military did a lot of work on long range bullets for 47-70. They found the 500 grain round nose bullet was bes tat long range , Velocity dropping thru the sound barrier makes a long pointed bullet unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by beshears View Post
    The US Military did a lot of work on long range bullets for 47-70. They found the 500 grain round nose bullet was bes tat long range , Velocity dropping thru the sound barrier makes a long pointed bullet unstable.
    Are you really sure about that?

You mean the Sandy Hook tests performed in what 1879? I've read them. They were pretty incredible considering the technology of the day. I would like to recreate them someday and just see how accurately they data of the tests truly was.

That is good to know. I thought they had to just more free bore with a paper patch. But I was wrong. Good to know.

Boolit Master
    As said by Don, use a Buffalo Arms money bullet. G1 BC will be right around 0.5. This is probably most common design you'll see in the winner's circle of a long range match.

I'm assuming you have a 1:18 twist. I'd pick a 530-535gr bullet. 1.45" or so long. I like to pick the diameter by the fattest bullet that slip fits into a fired case. Be a little wary of the 459535M1 as the nose is a little bigger than standard 0.450" bore so that bullet leads in most of my rifles. The 458535M1 works well in pretty much all of my rifles. It's a good choice as long as it's not so small as to be sloppy in a fired case.

The mini-groove versions of those bullets should be a little slipperier and shoot quite well in my rifles too. I cast all of my money bullets in 16:1.

Chris.

Those look interesting what make is that mould?