RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bubba Has Outdone Himself!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Bubba Has Outdone Himself!!!!!!!!!!

https://imgur.com/s31uQdA

Looks like a scope mount screw was over tighten and Bubba went to work to extract. I would like to use the rifle (30-06) for off-hand practice with iron sights. Keep the reload pressures down below 15,000 psi. Could this be repaired with tig welding? Zero investment in the rifle at this point. Thanks for any comments.

Boolit Master
    Holy crap! yeah it could be tig welded, but with that much, I wonder if it will need to be heat-treated to be safe.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I always like to see the work of a master craftsman.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Wow.... what in the world and why. The chamber is where the pressure is at in side the barrel. So repairing the receiver would be fine. I would think of heat stress from being tig welded might be an issue. Repair it up. If the repair looks nice. Find a metal shop with an oven to bake it and destress it or even temper it if you want. If you tottally ***** the repair then buy a new receiver.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I must have missed it - what rifle make and model are we discussing?

A novice and a Dremel are never a good combination. Wow.

Boolit Master
    Sure looks like the scope base will cover that completely..
    At Low pressures, simply cover it up and shoot away!!!

Boolit Master

It is a Remington Sportsman 78. Not a lot of value. Anyone have any concerns with light cast loads of less than 15k psi?

Boolit Master
    Not worth the risk for me, but if it was the last gun on earth then I’d put it in a vise with stout load and fire it with a string. If it doesn’t blow at full pressure it’ll most likely be fine at lower. I wouldn’t do a repair just so nobody in the future shoots the stupid thing.

Boolit Master

Now I see the response above on low pressures. Think it came in while I was typing the make/model response. Not trying to ignore your response; just did not see it.

Boolit Master

I do not plan for this rifle to ever leave my hands in a condition to fire a round; regardless as to any repairs made. It will leave me as a parted rifle.

Boolit Master

I’d probably proof test it as suggested then JB Weld it to keep the heat out of the receiver.

Had to get through the surface hardening I guess? Jbweld and a sharpie will fix it right up.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the suggestions. Will let you know of any developments. The rifle does not have to be pretty; it only has to shoot low pressure casts and stay in one piece!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate69 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Will let you know of any developments. The rifle does not have to be pretty; it only has to shoot low pressure casts and stay in one piece!!
    It looks like the thing blew out. Does the hole go all the way through?

If you know the barrel material a repair would be possible. The HAZ (heat affected zone) would require normalization after the repair in order to withstand the cyclical loading. After the repair a proof load (5 at least) should be prepared per SAMMI pressure testing requirements.

This is just to be safe and make certain that the firearm can take the cycles without a fatigue failure.

If the hole goes all the way through the repair would require the chamber to be recut. This is because the weld would need to penetrate all the way through in order to remove/repair the stress riser on the inside surface of the pressure chamber.

After all this it may be easer to remove the damaged barrel & replace it with one that is not compromised.

Metal will do odd things especially during & after a rupture. Imagine it as if the barrel has undergone a lifetime of fatigue all at once. The grain structure of the barrel may have been compromised (read cracked). Prior to a repair magnetic particle wet fluorescent (carbon steel) or dye penetrant 3 or 4 sensitivity (stainless steel) would be prudent tests in order to determine if the barrel is worth repairing.

Dye penetrant using some light oil & talc could be used as a low sensitivity test to determine if further investigation is warranted.

Or bubble gum & bailing twine. Then remember to safety squint every time you pull the trigger.

JB Weld cured and filed to match the contour and flat black spray paint will hide that crater. I had a Jap99 rifle with a horribly ground Mum and that's what I did. I never had a problem but I didn't exceed book loads for sure.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    JB Weld cured and filed to match the contour and flat black spray paint will hide that crater. I had a Jap99 rifle with a horribly ground Mum and that's what I did. I never had a problem but I didn't exceed book loads for sure.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    ^^^What he said^^^ - or TIG it. I would TIG only because I have a very good machine and barely enough ability to do the repair - but a cold repair with epoxy would be fine for the end purpose you have described. I'm not familiar with that particular rifle but the broken area doesn't appear to see any pressure from a discharge.

Boolit Master

I would take a hacksaw and cut the action right down the middle of the ejection port. What's left of that bubba'd rifle is an accident waiting to happen. It ain't worth the chance!
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I would strip it down and sell ALL the useable parts I could get off it. Use the proceeds to buy a cheapo brand 30/06 and not have to worry about it.

Banned
    BUBBA, the best dang self-styled gunsmith EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast