MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Loading for a falling block 30-40 Krag

Boolit Buddy

Loading for a falling block 30-40 Krag

Just got a #3 with #1 furniture in 30-40 Krag. My goal is a cast hunting bullet at about 2000, around where the original load operated. Thinking about something like a Saeco #301 or a #305, or something similar from Accurate molds (I have several already). Most of my previous casting has been 45-70 with Black

Especially load ideas. My www research seems to say that most of the faster medium case powders (4895ish) can work, as can a case full of slower (like 7278) with heavy bullets.

Thoughts?

And one possible wild hair, anyone ever paper patch for one?

Boolit Master

My #3 in 30-40 Krag is a hoot to shoot, no issues with loading
    Need gas check and good lube.
    4895 should do well.
    Be sure to use an "M" die
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/rifle-...panding-m-dies
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I have an early Rem rolling block action with a modern 30-40 barrel. My hunting load is a Ranch Dog 170 gr bullet over 29gr of IMR3031. This produces approx. 1900 fps and very nice 100 yard groups. at an estimated 18k psi. Since I only partially resize the brass and keep the pressure low, my brass should last a long, long time. The Ranch Dog designs are accurate and hard hitting (available from NOE).

Boolit Buddy
    I’m familiar with expanders, got several for my 45-70s. I don’t see an M die for the 30-40, what do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by XTR View Post
    I’m familiar with expanders, got several for my 45-70s. I don’t see an M die for the 30-40, what do you use?
    Long 30.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman Cast Bullet book has Krag load data.

Boolit Master
    XTR, have one like yours and a second with a custom stock. Both are accurate with most any reasonably assembled cast or jacketed load. Equaling the original mil load with cast is likely doable with appropriate alloys and powders, but only data I have tops out at 1700-1800 fps. The #3's that I have have shorter throats than the original Krag and may require a shorter OAL with the long heavy bullets. The NOE 311291 works well in both rifles and haven't tried anything heavier. There is reloading data out there but it is slim, as a guide you can refer to 308 Win data, case capacity is almost identical and the #3 action strength gives a good safety margin if developing loads.

Boolit Master
    I've a .30-40 #3 for more than thirty years and it's mainly been a cast bullet rifle. Lots of good bullet designs work well. I seldom shoot mine anymore, but my favorite bullet has been the Lyman #314299 or the same that I had hollowpointed. I use ww alloy, run bullets through a .311" die (they come out about .3105") and load to around 1700fps but 2000fps shouldn't be a problem. SAECO #301 is also a good bullet. Try H4895, 5744, and Reloder 7.

The 30-40 and the 308 Win have the same internal powder capacity and loading data is interchangeable for strong rifles like the Ruger no. 3. Not so in the weaker Krag actions.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Though an actual Krag and not a Ruger falling-block,
    see https://s33.postimg.cc/xjwwqlb0v/Kra...MBO-result.jpg
    Note I use an 32-20 expander

Boolit Master
    I have a #3 in 30-40. I have used a case full of surplus 4831 behind a 180g cast, and it shoots quite well.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a great deal of success with my Winchester 1895 with the RCBS 30-180 FN and IMR 3031, and 4895. I got 2300 FPS from my 28" Bbl. with a load of WW 748 and a 311-291. Groups were slightly larger--1/2-3/4"-- than with the IMR powders, but I could dispense with weighing every charge.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 02-13-2022 at 02:53 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Once I see how some cast chamber up I’m not afraid to push out the freebore. I do it on all of my FTR barrels with a PT&G unithroater to get heavy bullets up out of the case.

Thanks for the feedback. Once I get a mould or three I’ll see what Incan do