Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vanished!

There's a spring on the RCBC Piggyback primer station. When it lets go it is gone. After the second one disappeared. I had RCBS send me 2 more (warrantied as usual) when I got them I tied a foot long piece of floss to one end. Put it on and went 6 months or so with no mishaps. Then it happened. This time it was easy to find and laying in the same area were the other 2 springs just under the edge of a box where they were hidden. Even the magnet did not pick them upB before.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Well, after reading a lot these posts - pulling pantyhose over something I'm working on with tiny parts I am disassembling is a pretty comfortable choice. Other than the keys posts..... I've got nothing.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    The old man said,
    I have been a watch maker for 30 years, 30years I tell you!
    I spent 10 years on the bench and 20 years under.

Boolit Master
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    This time it was easy to find and laying in the same area were the other 2 springs
    I've had good luck with trying to duplicate how a small part or screw fell off the bench and tried to make a getaway
    by dropping a similar one from the approx. same spot and follow it down.

More often than not, I find them very close to each other.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m shocked no one has mentioned the ever elusive rogue 10mm socket! The best is when you are pulling your tools back out of a blind reach and you hear it pop off of your extension into the abyss of the engine compartment. You get to listen to it “tink!” its way deeper but realize your true plight when you never hear it hit the ground… good times!

I’ve also on a few occasions dropped a lug nut and searched of the ground for entirely too long before realizing it decided to hitch a ride in my shirt pocket. You’d think you would feel that!

The other night, I was working on a shop table that has a 2" square tubing frame with diagonal braces
    from the top outer edge of the frame to each leg, and a 1/4" Alum. sheet deck.

I dropped a Allan wrench about 6" long. I looked for 5 minutes, and even swept around the table.
    No Allen wrench..... it was GONE!

When I dug another one out of my box of tricks--- I saw it.
    It had bounced off my leg, landed laying flat-- and was even camouflaged on the inside edge of a diagonal table leg brace.

It might be my imagination, but I think it was laughing at me as it peeked around the table leg.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I’m shocked no one has mentioned the ever elusive rogue 10mm socket! The best is when you are pulling your tools back out of a blind reach and you hear it pop off of your extension into the abyss of the engine compartment. You get to listen to it “tink!” its way deeper but realize your true plight when you never hear it hit the ground… good times!

I’ve also on a few occasions dropped a lug nut and searched of the ground for entirely too long before realizing it decided to hitch a ride in my shirt pocket. You’d think you would feel that!
    You are making me have painfull flash backs when i worked on jet engines. Might need to go call my counselor now.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    You are making me have painfull flash backs when i worked on jet engines.
    Oh yeah.
    When I was in jets for awhile, a small tool was missing after 2-3 different people had been working in the cockpit.
    AFTER---- the Seat Shop guys had removed the canopy, and pulled the ejection seat out,,,, it wasn't under there.....
    A 4th kid that did something else real quick on the bird, and went back in the hanger had it in his pocket.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    I just made a gratifying find on Sunday. I was working on converting a little Remington to centerfire when I dropped the bit from my press. I looked for it for over an hour - never heard it hit the concrete. I found it stuck into a nail hole in the lid of a wooden Nobel dynamite box like a dart. Unfortunately, I did that project 3 years ago and had to replace the bit!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mind you this event was 5 decades ago. Before I met my wife, she had lost her high school class ring. Her and her parents searched high and low for the ring. She eventually gave up and purchased a replacement.
    Fast forward a couple of years to a couple of days before our wedding. She is packing up her room and is disassembling her bed, which was one of those frames the store would give you with a purchase at the time, and in the corner of the leg is her ring resting on the flat horizontal piece of the leg. And yes, they had even moved the bed looking for the ring.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

I replaced the trigger in my M&P and was watching a YouTube video of how to. Of course spring goes flying. Looked everywhere and I was even working on a towel. I even have the HF magnet sweeper. Nope, no good. Finally gave up after about an hour looking. Grabbed my iPad that I was watching the video and closed the MAGNETIC cover. Yup, right there laughing at me.

It’s what some call a “glitch in the system” as there are theories that we are all living in a giant virtual world that either we created or were placed in by aliens who wanted our planet for some reason

Boolit Buddy
    .45 acp barrel bushing flew off, no noise of it hitting concrete, found it after few hours later on top of 4' led ceiling light, there is only about a 1" space on the edge for it to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast_outlaw View Post
    It’s what some call a “glitch in the system” as there are theories that we are all living in a giant virtual world
    I tend to agree.

I think there is a window to a parallel universe in our dryer.
    I've sometimes put two pairs of socks in it, hit the go button, and when it stops--
    There's only two socks still in it to take out, but they don't match.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    My usual is when the phone rings. It's not that I don't remember where I put it, but that I don't realize I put it down. There is a black hole in my shop floor somewhere. Like all good scientists, I know it's there but can't seem to find it.

I have a 150 lbs pull magnet from harbor freight that costs $10 I run over the floor. You can cover a wide area quickly if motivated. I've used it to find stuff I dropped but don't see. It works much better than my eyes. I've been able to find size 24 fly tying hooks that I was looking at and couldn't see. For light items like a scope mount screw, it will pull them from an inch or two away. So, it will pull from crevices you can't see like base board trim.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 02-27-2022 at 01:50 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Working on a friend's rifle, I dropped a screw. We spent about an hour looking for it. Finally my wife came out and said "did you check your shoe?". I was wearing Crocs, the sandals with the open holes all over. I kicked off the shoe and there it was. Now she always asks if I checked my shoe, even if its a 12" crescent wrench that I lost. Another time I was bead blasting some screws which were in a can to prevent loss. Well, after losing a screw and sifting through the whole cabinet full of beads, I looked in the nozzle of the gun, there was the screw wedged sideways in the shroud of the nozzle.

Same thing with guitar/mandolin picks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Rcmaveric...I worked in assembly at a major jet engine manufacturer doing the final grind on the stationary blade packs and the diffusers, fortunately never did assembly, but.... There were times when the entire line would be shut down because somebody couldn't account for an allen wrench or an extra nut was found after the build. They don't play games, and since you sign off at every part of assembly, it can be your neck if something bad happens because you did or did not do something!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast