Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Lead - The Big Smelt

Range Lead - The Big Smelt

Started cleaning 2,700 lbs of range lead. Pouring mostly mini loafs weighing around 11 lbs each. This is a slow process using a harbor freight dutch oven over a propane burning. Using a weed burner from the topside really helped speed things up.

Got 292 lbs done Saturday, 320 lbs Sunday. Got 13 buckets out of 34 done.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 02-20-2022 at 07:54 AM.

Boolit Master
    11 pound loaf....now how do you use those? A pile if work, but you'll like the payoff!
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I feel for you SoonerEd. I only had a little over 600 back in November, but I got real tired of doing my lead in a Dutch oven. I finally built a smelter just to cook the raw stuff down to usable size and alloy mixes. I bbq propane tank and a 20 foot length of 1-1/4 x1-1/4" angle iron. It'll do 350 pounds in the kettle at a time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a good weekends work! Me and a buddy need to get together before it gets warm and have our annual smelting party.

Boolit Master

I did not feel like doing all the smelting work when our range closed. I was given permission to clean the berms but not much time, so I took my trackhoe and peeled off about 2 foot of the face until I saw no more traces of bullets and then hauled the dirt home, got about 50 dump trucks worth of dirt piled in my back field and figure when I need lead I will mine it and process it then. some of the loader buckets where chock full of bullets.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Taking 2 feet off the front of a berm permanently means it must be dug into a pit? Or side of a large hill? Around here the berms are built up onto flat ground so you can't take anything off without replacing it. But it must be nice to have a never ending supply of lead in your back yard! Albeit lead leaching into your water supply might not be real good.

Boolit Master
    I use those same quad mini loaf pans to make storage ingots.

I suggest using a good filtration mask when screening the material from the outdoor berms: lots of fine particles of oxidized lead will get all over. My highest lead levels were when I processed range lead.

I'm using the mini loaf pans from kroger. One 11 brick will fit into my RCBS pot if I need it. I'm pouring a lot of bricks as I already have 2,500 lbs in ingots, muffins etc if I need them. I'm expecting to get around 1,500 lbs of range lead and I'm putting this back for long term storage. If I move some day, 11 lbs bricks are easy to move, as compared to ingots. 1,300 angle iron ingots would be a night mare to move. If or when I need ingots someday I'll melt them down and pour them. In the last batch or two I'll pour angle iron ingots. That would be about 130 1.2 lbs ingots for now which will be plenty in range lead. If I can figure out the picture thing I'll upload some. I tried but it didn't work. Do pictures have a size limit? The ones i took on my phone are around 6-7 megs which is rather large.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 02-07-2022 at 09:24 AM.

MOA, my mini loaf bricks look a lot like that, just not as square with slightly more rounded corners.

A friend of mine was going to build me a bottom pour smelter from 12" oilfield pipe for 200-300 lbs batches. But, he's had gallbladder problems, then sugery, while he's still trying to run a business making steel targets for ranges and individuals . I'll still get it eventually but it's had to move down his priority list.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 02-07-2022 at 12:23 AM.

Boolit Master
    My processing pot is about 12” diameter, being a 20 pound propane tank cut a bit above the midpoint. The rounded bottom holds less than a cylindrical pot (240-250# filled with 1-2” to spare to contain any sloshing), but makes it a bit easier to get lead from the bottom using a ladle.

I’d guess the right valve diameter is important for a high capacity bottom pour pot, especially if it is deep. Lots of head pressure from a tall lead column might splash with a valve with too much volume; the reverse problem with a too narrow valve and a low lead level. Keeping the spout hot but accessible is an issue, and there’s trying to move an ingot mold full of molten alloy out from under the spout to fill the next. I was also leery of a jammed open valve.

Maybe you’ve got solutions to those problems and your friend’s fabrication skills are up to making them a reality, but since I didn’t and don’t, I opted for the simple ladle pot.

ETA: even with a high BTU double jet burner, I found the weed burner heating from above a very helpful hack. Just watch for spitting lead from superheated microscopic voids or volatilized impurities.
    Last edited by kevin c; 02-07-2022 at 02:42 AM.

They have already built a prototype and got the valve diameter and stem worked out. They are going to build three in the next go round. If anyone wants to see the prototype i can try to post a link. It's over on Mississippi Gun Owners forum.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerEd View Post
    They have already built a prototype and got the valve diameter and stem worked out. They are going to build three in the next go round. If anyone wants to see the prototype i can try to post a link. It's over on Mississippi Gun Owners forum.
    Sooner, I'd love a link if possible. Sounds like good news. Hope they have tall legs. The bending over will just wipe you out after 5 or 6 hours.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kevin c

Thanks for the tip based off actual experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Sooner, I'd love a link if possible. Sounds like good news. Hope they have tall legs. The bending over will just wipe you out after 5 or 6 hours.
    I can't figure out how to copy the link from my tablet. Go to msgo dot com and search for "my version of a smelting pot". It's by Ellis93. I'm under the name of Soonered. You may have to register, not sure. Ellis is an excellent mechanic and a good designer and fabricator. He has some good tips on how he built the bottom pour smelter with pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerEd View Post
    I can't figure out how to copy the link from my tablet. Go to msgo dot com and search for "my version of a smelting pot". It's by Ellis93. I'm under the name of Soonered. You may have to register, not sure. Ellis is an excellent mechanic and a good designer and fabricator. He has some good tips on how he built the bottom pour smelter with pictures.
    https://www.msgo.com/search/31865/?q...22&o=relevance

Think this is link I got doing the search.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Dealing witn a ton of scrap is a problem i'd like to have.

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    https://www.msgo.com/search/31865/?q...22&o=relevance

Think this is link I got doing the search.
    That's it. Thanks for posting.

Got another 14 buckets done yesterday and today. Yielded 700+ lbs. Only 7 more buckets to go. Got a little more than 1,300 lbs so far. Should break 1,500 by the time I’m done.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    There’s nothing like free lead, even if you have to work a bit to get it.

Finished up today. In total got 1,645 lbs of lead poured mostly into 11 pound bricks. Yield ended up being 61%. This was a lot of work...I'd have to be desperate to take on a project like this again. That puts me around 2 tons in total. So, I think I'm good for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast