RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: AR9/PCC Bullet Selection

AR9/PCC Bullet Selection

Hi,

Just wanted to see what y'all are using for boolits in your AR9's. Built an Aero SBR (essentially an EPC9), and I'm not 100% sure my current boolit mould will work. It's an NOE 129gr truncated mold, works great in my Sig's. Wondering if I can stick with this mold or possibly look into a 147gr RN mould. I ran some of the truncated boolits through and experienced feeding issues, but it was with a Odin Works BCG. I have since switched to the Aero BCG, but I have not tried it out yet. Just looking for opinions and experiences with different boolit types and what works best.

Thanks in advance!
    I was in the front row and I was HAMMERED DRUNK!

Boolit Master
    I no longer have the lyman 147 TC mold, but I did have 1900 or so projectiles that had been tumble lubed hanging around. Tossed them into 30 cases of 9mm and gave three mags a go in the PCC9 or PC9. I had no issues. If you know this mold the bullets are almost pointed. Loaded up the rest and well those are long gone. I now have been using the Lee six banger 124 tumble lube. Honestly the 147 worked better at distance but all worked well with no feed issues. Steel is not picky what you hit it with. Using a red dot, the groups are better than I can do with the red dot. Until I find primers I will not be using this gun. It makes ammo vanish.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Bub
    Most all I have ran in mine are powder coated 147 grain trunicated boolits. They have shot reliably for me and will shoot ragged hole at 50 yards. But as we all know, not every gun works the same. As for 147 grain round nose, I have used a ton of the Acme hi-tek coated bullets in AR 9 and a 350 Legend with really good results, and they are reasonably priced as well. You might take a look a their bullet and determine what mold you would want! Good luck!
    Last edited by gunfan2; 02-06-2022 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks for the info! My TC bullets have been great so far with the equipment I have. They just didn't run well with my AR9, but that's also likey due to the BCG that Aero told me "wasn't compatible". I think I may pick up a 147RN mould either way, if only to give me more options with casting and reloading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbaker View Post
    Hi,

Just wanted to see what y'all are using for boolits in your AR9's. Built an Aero SBR (essentially an EPC9), and I'm not 100% sure my current boolit mould will work. It's an NOE 129gr truncated mold, works great in my Sig's. Wondering if I can stick with this mold or possibly look into a 147gr RN mould. I ran some of the truncated boolits through and experienced feeding issues, but it was with a Odin Works BCG. I have since switched to the Aero BCG, but I have not tried it out yet. Just looking for opinions and experiences with different boolit types and what works best.

Thanks in advance!
    Alot depends on your barrel. I had a faxon barrel, that though I liked, had very short throat and made loading cast loads alot more complex than other barrels with longer tolerance. Ive moved to a ballistic advantage that I just can't get enough of now...same problem as above comment that ammo just seems to vanish in it.

Lots to tune on an ar9, buffer, spring, carrier and ect....so lots of factors that can make one bullet (and the load required to make it function properly) a bit more work but in general, you should be able to find good loads. I've used Lee 124 tc, 125 2r and mp 125 hp...all worked well though the tc needed a harder alloy to prevent nose deformation

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have the old version of the JP 9mm PCC in its factory configuration. In my limited load development (read: I shot five mags of my USPSA Production load), it seems to like the MP 147 RN at oal 1.130”.

I've heard/read about issues with Aero's barrels and the shallow chamfer on the chamber, causing feeding issues with any type of ammo. Tuning is a huge part of getting the AR9 to run smoothly. Some people are lucky and the run well from day one. I'll stick with the TC bullet and try adjusting my seating depth. I did place an order for a 147RN mould, but mostly because I needed (or wanted) one.

On a side note, I've heard a lot of people like the Faxon 9mm barrels. I'm happy you shared your issues with it because I was considering swapping barrels too.

Boolit Master

Can't help you on the AR9, but my preference for cast in autos (including a Ruger carbine eating from Glock mags) has run toward RNFP/LFN/WFN styles that make the gun think it's feeding round nosed ball.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9mm Ranch Dog Jug 9 recover 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	295958

What I've settled on for 9mm is the 135 grain tumble lube NOE/Ranch Dog - the Accurate Molds 36-135D being essentially the same thing. Accurate has a few others with smaller meplats or different lube groove configurations, but as long as you have some curving ogive hitting both the feed ramp and the top of the chamber as the round enters, the final stage of chambering usually goes easy. Depending on the sharpness of you gun's feeding and tipover angles, rounding off the sharp edges of the meplat may also help (example: 35-125R).

I like the general shape because it's far easier to produce than a cast hollowpoint, and does a better job popping water bottles and shredding dog food cans than RN's
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbaker View Post
    I've heard/read about issues with Aero's barrels and the shallow chamfer on the chamber, causing feeding issues with any type of ammo. Tuning is a huge part of getting the AR9 to run smoothly. Some people are lucky and the run well from day one. I'll stick with the TC bullet and try adjusting my seating depth. I did place an order for a 147RN mould, but mostly because I needed (or wanted) one.

On a side note, I've heard a lot of people like the Faxon 9mm barrels. I'm happy you shared your issues with it because I was considering swapping barrels too.
    I will say, I was able to get good function out of the faxon....it just requires me to seat deeper than I typically would and it's a much different load than any other 9s I load for...it's just ok for cast not designed for it. To their credit, faxon addresses the tight throat in a post and I get and appreciate their decision...it's strictly used for factory ammo in tight SAAMI spec...so handloaders have to dial it back.

I liked the barrel (still have it on hand just not mounted) but I like the ballistic advantage alot more.

I currently have the BA barrel installed as well. I also have a .223 Wylde BA barrel that's great. I am a fan of BA going back before the day Aero bought them out. Clint is still running the place, but now he has the backing of a company like Aero (makes business sense).

I really need to get the gun out to the range and put some rounds through it. It's an SBR build, and in keeping with the standard, the ATF is dragging it's feet with sending back my paperwork.

Boolit Master
    Agreed BA makes good product, just got a 300 blk Hansen pinned I'm excited to try out. It's a tighter twist (1:7) so will not be able to push cast as hard as the other it's replacing (1:8) but it likely won't be too bad.

On the topic of ar9, anyone else have part wear issues? Broke a firing pin in one about the 1k mark and that was surprising to me but apparently not terribly uncommon. I've also heard that lightly sprung guns can break trigger control pins (trigger or hammer) or egg out the holes. Haven't seen any wear or damage on mine but keeping an eye on it.

You definitely need to run heavier reciprocating mass to help keep your trigger from getting damaged. That's why I decided to stick with an all Aero build as they have figured out what works and what doesn't (thus my BCG anomaly). There is no such thing as mil-spec in regards to AR-9's, so you really have to experiment sometimes. I've heard people trying to removing the firing pin spring, bad idea. I think it's just an inherent issue trying to convert a gas system to blow back.

Definitely use hardend trigger pins and/or anti-walk pins. That along with heavy sprung setups helps with the reciever holes becoming egg shaped.

In other news, I ordered a NOE HTC358-147-RN-G6 mould. I suspect I'll be waiting a minute until I receive it.