MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: W 748 Powder "Issues"

Exclamation W 748 Powder "Issues"

Not wishing to hijack another thread (about #311413 & W 748 powder), I found the following statement and wish to comment on it:

"748 shows a lot of promise in cases of the 308 and x 57 families as far as velocity and lower pressures..." (runfiverun)

That isn't the best advice, although it is well-intentioned. Here's why: If you load for the 8 x 57mm Mauser, Winchester's reloading pamphlet specifically warns against using reduced loads of W 748. Lyman apparently hadn't got that message because it specifically recommended and continues to recommend using 36grs. W 748 with #323470 and 30grs. with #323471. For the .308Win. and other similar cartridges, maybe, but it wouldn't be my first choice. For the 8 x 57mm, NEVER.

It's a great powder that has served me well but I have really only ever loaded it 90% + load density in .223, .303 Brit, .303 Pygmy.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Banned

maven:
    i was not aware of this.
    thank you,as i was considering using it in my 8 mauser.
    this is also why i asked about using a filler,something i have taken to doing with most of my cast loads.
    especially with the middle rate powders.

Smile

runfiverun, I don't know whether I still have the Winchester powder reloading pamphlet, but they were quite emphatic about not using 748 in the 8 x 57mm. When I discovered this, I wrote to Lyman about it, but Lyman never changed their loading data or recommendations for that cartridge. My own experience with 748 and the 8 x 57mm reinforces that warning: Hangfires and other evidence of poor combustion when using #323470. Since then, I've used a variety of other powders in that rifle with no problems of any kind. Btw, 48grs. (or more) of WC 860 + a mag. primer, but no filler and a 175gr. or heavier CB works very well (need to dry patch the bbl. every 5 - 10 shots though) as does 18grs. - 21grs. WC820 (standard primer).

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    It very well could be the new line of Hercules/Alliant powders being brought out will not be of the high intensity type. I can't wait to read about range reports on them. These are the ones having a chemical giving less temperature sensitivity. I hope they will perform in low pressure situations, and that burn speed is somewhat independent of reasonable pressure and temperature. It would be nice. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Ive been using 748 in 308, 30-30 and 30-06 but not as a "reduced" load
    for example in the 308 with 170 boolit (311413 and 311299) 748/32-36gr is VERY accurate
    in my Savage model 99C. These loads were from the Lyman manual.
    In general Im usually running about 80%+ load density with this powder, which is NOT what some would call a "reduced" load. I do not use any dacron "fillers" in any of my loads.

I would be very interested to hear more from those who have experience using this powder
    thanks
    atr

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    You are using it correctly, just like you would 296 in its applications. ... felix
    felix

It seems that the win data has that caution re most of its powders yet the hogdon counterparts don't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by odoh View Post
    It seems that the win data has that caution re most of its powders yet the hogdon counterparts don't have it.
    I am pretty sure Hodgdon advise similar on H110 but you are correct about H335 which is basically W748.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.