Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gas heat in reloading room

Boolit Master

gas heat in reloading room

my reloading room has been much too cold to work in recently and need to come up with a way to heat it. trying to reload with gloves on just does not work.
    ive got propane heaters, was thinking using the buddy heater or maybe the one with two burners that screws into the top of a propane tank.
    any other simple suggestions are appreciated

Frosted Boolits

I use my little buddy heater in my basement when it gets chilly. Works great.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Propane gives off a lot of water as a byproduct of combustion. You'll want a dehumidifier if that's your only heat source.

When I run my propane burner in the garage, granted it's 50,000 btu so a little scaled up. The humidity in my garage is insane in the winter. Enough that I'm considering either a sealed unit or a natural gas burner.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    Propane gives off a lot of water as a byproduct of combustion. You'll want a dehumidifier if that's your only heat source.

When I run my propane burner in the garage, granted it's 50,000 btu so a little scaled up. The humidity in my garage is insane in the winter. Enough that I'm considering either a sealed unit or a natural gas burner.
    You beat me to it. Oil fill radiator.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Have the same problem. I was considering one of the IR heaters. Anyone ever use one ?

Another thing to consider is that the condensate given off the open burners is acidic and will cause rusting of anything metal in the space.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master

You need to watch the carbon monoxide levels with the propane heaters also. Depending on the size of the room a radiator style space heater may do the job. Ive never used the IR eaters so ant comment on them.
    Another option I would look into is a wall mounted or ceiling mounted so as to not give up any floor space a base board heater may work well also and wouldnt be out in the floor to work around

Boolit Master
    Oh, the water! I used to heat my garage with a larger propane heater, it created some much moisture, when it was really cold out, the condensation would run down the overhead doors and freeze them to the floor. Use a little electric ceiling mounted heater now, much better.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master

Many times I have used a single burner propane stove. I placed a junk circular saw blade on the burner (on top of the pot holder). The saw blade radiates more heat than a plain burner. I seriously doubt if the increase in humidity could be measured or noticed. I keep al my powder jugs closed with the caps on snug so even if it rained in my shop the powder would be OK and my tools are cared for and won't get rusty...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    my reloading room has been much too cold to work in recently and need to come up with a way to heat it. trying to reload with gloves on just does not work.
    ive got propane heaters, was thinking using the buddy heater or maybe the one with two burners that screws into the top of a propane tank.
    What’s the weather like where you are?
    What temp is “much too cold” and what temp are you trying to get to?
    Is your room in the basement, in a barn, in a garage, in an insulated out building?
    How big is the room?

I’ve gone to an electric heater, but the weather in NC is pretty mild so keeping a garage up around 62F doesn’t take much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Have the same problem. I was considering one of the IR heaters. Anyone ever use one ?
    When they first came out a buddy of mine got two of them. He was claiming they would only cost 6 dollars a month and he would not need to run the wood stove so much. Two months later I asked what happened to the heaters. Claimed his electric bill climbed over 150 bucks for both months. They did work great if you had them facing you. Anything that the light didnt hit was cold. They do not heat the air just the object. I would look at it like heat from sun light. It does little good in the shade. My 2 cents. Oil filled radiator works good for smaller rooms.

The infrared heaters, while expensive are really nice. They heat up the stuff they shine on, including you.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post

You did not indicate if your reloading room is part of your house. In *my* case, I have a teeny room in basement, while ground and second floor of house are heated with a wood-stove. Today, with no added heat, it was 48*F in my reload room. I have what is called a "milkhouse" heater -- 110VAC plug in unit -- and these come, all looking similar, in price ranges from about fifteen all the way to about one thousand U S dollars!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milkhouse heater.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	295878 I have a Titan brand which came from a 2nd-hand store for fifteen dollars . My room is small enough I can comfortably reload in about 1/2 hour time. There is a switch for low or high heat, too, and it is easy to calculate how much the heat will cost -- just multiply the wattage you've selected by the cost to you per kilowatt of service. (Divide your entire electric bill by number of kilowatt hours to get this amount; at least my bill has so many mumbo-jumbo charges added to electric consumption, this is most accurate.)
    In my case, I figure about five hours of continual heat costs me one dollar. Obviously, if I chose to heat the room 24/7 in winter the cost would be waaaay high/prohibitive to my resources. But -- versus propane (I have two Big Buddy heaters at camp: DAMPNESS!!!!) -- it has worked well.
    Again, you did not indicate your house heat method. If you have, say, heated water baseboard radiation, I'd think it would not be too much of a challenge to plumb in a loop to your room. OR, if you have forced hot-air, to add a duct to your furnace and run it into room.
    Good luck!
    geo

My reloading room is heated with propane, actually my entire house is heated with propane but my reloading room is in it.

Boolit Master

Sigh..... i been lighting candles and putting them under a terracotta pot to keep warm. Granted its not snowing in Florida but yesterday felt like a freezer in the garage. I was using a camping stove but it died on me. Candles kept me comfortable at my bench. Camping stove kept half the garsge warm. Candles kept only my bench warm.

Definitely getting a space heater this summer when everthing goes on sale.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Nobody has suggested the official redneck shop heater yet.
    If you don't need to be out there too much or very often---

A buddy used to park a running car in the garage, and run the exhaust out through a metal flex hose
    to the out side through a hole in the wall away from where the fumes could get back in.
    Between the engine being warmed up and the fan circulating the warm air from it & the radiator- it worked well.

My shop is too crowded to bring the truck in, but I've thought about doing that with the riding lawn mower.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    My reloading room is heated with propane, actually my entire house is heated with propane but my reloading room is in it.
    Same here but its a self-contained unit. Sucks in all its own air for the burn and blows out the exhaust. This means no moisture.

Boolit Grand Master
    Moisture can be an issue with propane when the products of combustion are not vented.

My old reloading shop was part of an outbuilding that was insulated, (about 800 sq ft) and I had a regular house propane furnace, so moisture was not a problem. But I found keeping it warm during the winter was expensive.

If you can, do what I did. Converted part of the basement (or a spare room) into the reloading shop. I cannot cast indoors but I can reload in comfort.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    i have a propane fireplace and run it in my reloading man cave. yes the windows sweat when i first crank it up but nothing rust cuz i keep my stuff oiled up.

Boolit Buddy
    I use an oil filled radiator. It's a safe, economical and simple solution. Depending on the size of the room, don't be afraid to hang a sheet or blanket to ensure that you are only heating the space which you need.