RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: thompson center new englander

Boolit Bub

thompson center new englander

Very good condition Lots of extras Wnts $360.00 Deal or no deal?

Boolit Master

I've owned a bunch of TC's over the years, they're my first choice in muzzle loaders. If it's in nice condition (check the bore!), then, yes, it's worth the asking price. If the bore is rough, haggle the price down and send the barrel out to Bobby Hoyt for a re-bore.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    I M O
    That isn't too bad of a price if like stated , it has a good bore.
    But if it doesn't , Hoyt is my choice to either Re Bore the barrel to the next larger caliber , or have the barrel Relined to the caliber and twist you want.

Boolit Grand Master
    Agree w/ both above. Condition determines price to a large degree. T/C are pure quality. If you want a ML. it's hard to do better. Also, Hoyt has done many of my barrels; both relined and rebored. On one he even "refreshed" a lightly rusted bore, leaving it the same caliber but with new round bottomed rifling. That price is not out of line.

TC New Englander is my favorite from a tree stand, compact and accurate! I put 'Fire sights' on mine for low light and old eyes. Price sounds good to me, barrel may be the issue? hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    Buy it if bore condition fits in the very good column as well.

Boolit Master

If the bores good as mentioned by others the price is good. You can do a lot worse these days. I have a New Englander I bought as a basket case for 125.00 elbow grease and a new/old barrel took me to 400.00 all in and I'm quite pleased with er'
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Have to see a clear picture of the bore before a fair determination can be made. Bore , for me must be absolutely rust free. A little rust can be on the outside can be polisher out , & lived with.

Boolit Master
    The chance of looking down a barrel is why everytime I go to a gun shop or pawn shop , I take in my drop in Bore Light.
    It makes things easier.

Boolit Bub
    Would this New Englander happen to be in 12 gauge? If so buy it without question!

Boolit Buddy
    Did you buy it?

Been going through some mold boxes and looking at what to do with a spare New Englander .50 barrel with a some pitting in it.
    There's three RCBS 45-280 hollow base molds and maybe I got an oh wow inspiration moment.

That base plug is .525" diameter.
    If the mold was recut from the bottom to be a smooth sided .525" round flat nose for paper patches then the base plug could be recut the have any bullet length and base configuration that might be desired.

Or this one could be used and multiple C-ring grooves could be cut in the old style plug.

And the pitted .50 barrel could be recut to suit the paper patched boolits.