Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: CZ-75 Shadow 2 ammo pressure/rating

Boolit Master

CZ-75 Shadow 2 ammo pressure/rating

I just a got a super deal on a used CZ Shadow 2, looks like factory new, fellow was said to have needed money, sold it to local gunshop. The shop owner stated the the man said he had fired it 6 times, put it away, then had a personal issue and needed cash quick.

Looked it over, mags like new, no bluing wear, feed ramp no bluing wear, absolutely no wear on anything,....hammer face, barrel lock lugs, and barrel bushing contact with barrel,...no bluing wear.

Hope the fellow who sold it is out of financial trouble, don't want to see anyone HAVE to sell anything for an emergency.

Any way, I have looked and researched, but found little, about the Shadow 2 ammo pressure ratings. I am not into loading super pressure ammo in 9mm.

The Shadow 2 being a competition pistol, I was just wondering if it was rated for NATO spec, and +P pressures?

I load 4.7gr Unigue/120 gr Truncate cone lee in all my 9mm pistols. The CZ has a short lead/throat, so I have to seat boolit to 1.063" over-all-length to pass the "Ker-plunk" test in chambering.

Haven't had the chance to shoot any loads in the CZ, but in my other 9mm's the above load runs about 1140 fps from 4 inch barrels.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

My Lyman 49th edition has a load listed for a 120 grain round nose with Unique.
    The OAL is listed about .002 longer that yours and the max powder charge is slightly higher than what you are loading.
    I would not worry about your loads being safe.
    Since CZ is based in Europe, I would expect this pistol to be made to the same standards their other CZ 75 pistols are.

Boolit Master

Taz, I was thinking the same.

Just cautious about the "competition" side of the CZ Shadow 2. Sometimes these type of pistols have light springs for light loads and such, and I didn't want to be beating up the pistol needlessly.

From what I can find, the production class of IPSC for which this pistol is used, they seem to use a standard pressure 9mm load to meet "minimum power class" competition.

Velocity x bullet weight divided by 1000 so to get to 125 power factor or above. Seems most good standard loads meet this easily.

I have to say, this Shadow 2 is built like steel brick,....it should be able to stand a beating!

I was able to handle one at a gun shop. It belonged to the shop owner. The trigger was fantastic.
    He claimed it was extremely accurate and easy to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Taz, I was thinking the same.

Just cautious about the "competition" side of the CZ Shadow 2. Sometimes these type of pistols have light springs for light loads and such, and I didn't want to be beating up the pistol needlessly.

From what I can find, the production class of IPSC for which this pistol is used, they seem to use a standard pressure 9mm load to meet "minimum power class" competition.

Velocity x bullet weight divided by 1000 so to get to 125 power factor or above. Seems most good standard loads meet this easily.

I have to say, this Shadow 2 is built like steel brick,....it should be able to stand a beating!
    I don't know about light springs if its rated for NATO rounds. My Canic I was told was rated for NATO rounds and it wouldn't cycle my hand loads so I had to request light spring and even than I had to adjust my charges higher, Ruger PC9 would cycle everything.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I just a got a super deal on a used CZ Shadow 2, looks like factory new, fellow was said to have needed money, sold it to local gunshop. The shop owner stated the the man said he had fired it 6 times, put it away, then had a personal issue and needed cash quick.

Looked it over, mags like new, no bluing wear, feed ramp no bluing wear, absolutely no wear on anything,....hammer face, barrel lock lugs, and barrel bushing contact with barrel,...no bluing wear.

Hope the fellow who sold it is out of financial trouble, don't want to see anyone HAVE to sell anything for an emergency.

Any way, I have looked and researched, but found little, about the Shadow 2 ammo pressure ratings. I am not into loading super pressure ammo in 9mm.

The Shadow 2 being a competition pistol, I was just wondering if it was rated for NATO spec, and +P pressures?

I load 4.7gr Unigue/120 gr Truncate cone lee in all my 9mm pistols. The CZ has a short lead/throat, so I have to seat boolit to 1.063" over-all-length to pass the "Ker-plunk" test in chambering.

Haven't had the chance to shoot any loads in the CZ, but in my other 9mm's the above load runs about 1140 fps from 4 inch barrels.
    Hello Hickok, that's right, they are prepared for use with the ammo factory std, but they are competition weapons to make many shots.
    The good thing about them is that they work with loads that reach ipsc factor and they are sweet to fire very quickly.
    It's very easy to shoot a lot of rounds without much recoil, so enjoy it!

Vendor Sponsor

The CZ has a short lead/throat, so I have to seat boolit to 1.063" over-all-length to pass the "Ker-plunk" test in chambering.
    Those have a case hardened barrel. Nothing like tenifer or melonite salt bath hardening that can be cut (throated) with carbide reamers, the shadow 2 barrel's hardened surface is VERY hard, I chucked one in the lathe and the carbide cutter I use to crown the barrels on 20 degrees would sit there and squeal like a pig when pressed against the muzzle which would not cut at all, the carbide shined the end of the muzzle and nothing more until I used considerable force and it finally broke through the hardened layer and would then cut freely. The metal below the hardened outer surface is surprisingly soft.

For this reason I do not throat these particular barrels. If and when you DO get a carbide reamer to push the rifling back and leave some freebore, the new throat will be quite soft and I doubt the throat would last very long.

I am not implying these barrels are weaker than conventional salt bath hardened barrels, but this fact about the Shadow 2 is worth mentioning.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys for the all the replies.

When I read the Shadow was a competition pistol, my first thoughts were "powder-puff loads and light springs." I researched the IPSC shooters, and it seems they really give their pistols a hard workout! Thanks Nueces for confirmation about the ammo.

Hey Doug, thanks for the heads-up on the barrel. No way will I get it throated,.... it will work fine since I got the seating depth figured out. Since I seated the boolit somewhat deeper due to the short throat, I will drop the powder charge somewhat and check velocity and pressure, and work the load back up.

I did find on CZ-USA site in the FAQs section, that CZ will warranty their pistols for all types of ammunition EXCEPT +P+ ammo. They state their pistols are warrantied for +P, but its use will cause more wear, and they recommend to use it sparingly.

That is good enough evidence for me! Just glad the pistol is safe rated for +P , as I know I can use regular loads with out beating up a fine handgun.

Boolit Master

Just an add-on, I emailed CZ customer service and they were very prompt with the reply;

"9mm NATO will shoot just fine out of your Shadow . Your Shadow 2 will be rated up to +P, but not for +P+."

Just happy the Shadow 2 is not set up for "wiffle-ball" loads, like Cowboy action shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one. Fed it reloads, CCI brass blazer, white box standard, and white box nato. No problems so far.

Boolit Master
    As you've found out they are rated to meet IPSC & USPSA power factors so they can be used to compete with the guys shooting the 38 Super, 40S&W, and 45s.
    This is an example of a USPSA loaded 9mm round to meet the major power factor.
    Atlanta Arms (SKU E9147MJRC)
    Caliber - 9mm Major
    Velocity - 1156 fps
    Bullet Weight - 147 gr.
    Calculated Power Factor - 169.932
    Declared Power Factor - 170
    USPSA Power Factor - Major
    OAL - 1.165 inches

In the documents that came with my Shadow they had an advertisement for USPSA loaded ammo. There was also a disclaimer not to use said ammo in handguns not set up to handle the loading. Especially chambers that were not supported.

My Shadow II is the most accurate handgun I own. I load it with the Lee 120 Truncated cone over a max charge of unique. I've also tried CFE pistol and it shoots even better. I just don't have enough CFE on hand and still have 8lbs of Unique. I know my loadings are nowhere near some of the competition ammo used but then again i'm not competing with anyone other than myself.