Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Load data on odd weight bullets

Boolit Buddy

Load data on odd weight bullets

Does anyone know how to adjust a load if the bullet weight is not listed? I just snapped my spur screw on my core mold and stuck until I get it fixed. My other molds give me a 230gr and a 290gr bullet and I can only find load data for 250 and 300. I am trying to make bullet for my 45 raptor. (460 load data)

You use the loading data for the next heavier bullet, and then work up your load as usual. In the case of your 290 gr. bullet, use the data for the 300 gr., starting somewhere in the middle of the charge range. Then work up the load until you get the accuracy and velocity you need.

In the case of the 230 gr. bullet, you can probably start near the top of the 250 gr. data and be ok, but still work up your load in steps. A chronograph is very helpful when working up loads with unknown data, if you have one.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Boolit Master
    Yes-- What reloader fred said. The importance here is that you will get higher pressure if your bullet is heavier than the listed bullet (due to the energy it takes to get the bullet out of the case and moving). So-- if you use the data for a slightly heavier bullet you will be on the safer side for pressure-- and then you can safely work up from there.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Last time I had to play with non standard bullet weights when I was paper patching. I was more worried about speed than pressure and it was a bolt action. My core mold is spot on, so this issue never came up.