Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Light for Reloading Press

Moderator Emeritus

For my Lee Classic Turret press, I use a adhesive backed 12 volt LED strip (3 element), bought it on ebay for less than $2. Comes with pigtail leads to connect to your 12 volt source, I used a plug-in transformer from a old charger, Laptop transformers are usually 12 volt, they'd power a bunch of those 12 volt strips.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    My daughter ordered for me from Amazon "sewing machine" lights. I have one on a Lyman turret and another on a Lyman single stage. Both lights are the same and have magnetic bases. Total cost $16 ! They use 120volt ac.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

I've got LED strips and flashlights but what I think is going to work the best for me is a Physician's flashlight that fits right inside the toolhead and shines right onto my cases as they rotate to the seating die. I got it off Amazon.

Boolit Grand Master
    I did the same as Lloyd. I have a lot of dual 48” LED fixtures in the reloading shop.

Plus I added Powder Check dies to the Dillion 1050 toolheads, so peeking into the case is not necessary.

Might be a good idea to add lights for the 550, but it does not get much use
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I did the same as Lloyd. I have a lot of dual 48” LED fixtures in the reloading shop.

Plus I added Powder Check dies to the Dillion 1050 toolheads, so peeking into the case is not necessary.

Might be a good idea to add lights for the 550, but it does not get much use
    Those powder check dies are very helpful. I have the regular Hornady one at the moment, but thinking about upgrading to the DoubleAlpha one that has an audible signal for both low and high charges...just inc ase.

I put this on my LNL's
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lnl light1 reduced.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	295769

Boolit Master

Like a couple of others, I have the KMS² on my 550B. Adds to my peace of mind.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    I put this on my LNL's

What is that? Looks good.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    I put this on my LNL's

Can you provide details on that? Is it just a strip glued to the upper portion? Or something custom?

I have 8 overhead lights in my fairly small reloading room so I didn’t think I needed any more light but was offered a sample of KMS^2 UFO lights to try out.

They are so bright, it was like I had been reloading in the dark. I wound up purchasing them for other presses I have.

They get my endorsement too.

May Liberty Increase!
    I use a LED clamp light in some applications. It works really well on the flat platen of a CH inline progressive.

I’ve also got Hornady’s strip light on a LNL AP. I wouldn’t recommend it, as the connections required some fiddling to get it to work, out of the box. I do like having the light on it, I just think there are better options.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the help.

Terryt

Boolit Mold
    The UFO lights from KMS Squared have been the greatest addition to my Lee turret press. For safety sake I will not operate a press ever again without these lights while loading. It makes it so easy to look inside the case to visually see your powder drop and know it is not empty or a double charge. Once you buy the first complete unit you can just buy the lights themselves to use on your other presses, just simply swap your 110 volt power adapter back and forth. All of the lights are a custom fit for your style press. Fair price and great customer service . Old eyes need all the light you can get.

i just got a magnetic goose neck LED light from harbor freight, it has 3 intensity levels and dosen't need to be plugged in. The hornady press isnt magnetic but the frame for the case feeder is. It makes a big difference. It can also be used for other things as well and not attached to the press. Even if i didnt have a case feeder, i would just put a velcro.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Bub
    I too have the KMS kit for my LCT press. It’s the only way to go in my opinion. Perfect fit and so bright you can turn the rest of the lights off in your reloading room and still have enough light to walk around and find stuff. Completely illuminates the case interior.

I can send photos if you’d like, but trust me…it’s bright.

Attachment 296204

I mentioned earlier about the Physicians light I was using to see into my cases and it works but I found another cheaper, better fitting light today at Walmart. Back in the automotive section they have a pocket pen light for $1.44. Red or black your choice, the other light fit with some tape around it but it cost over $10.00 for 2, this one fits perfectly, and shines right on the area for the seating die. Heck,if you don't like it, you've got a cheap pocket flashlight. Oh, I also got another LED shop light for the bench area, so now my bench looks like it's daytime.