RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 358477

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 358477

Awaiting arrival of a slightly used 358477 2 cavity mold. Be using mainly in 357 GP100. Kinda late in the ballgame but would like to hear about experiences with mold use and cast product.

excellent accuracy

mine is an old single cavity, or i’d use it more

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Buddy
    derek45
    Thank You. That's what I was wanting to hear. Supposedly Lyman has tweaked this mold since original offering. Some say it cast 150grs while others say it cast 158 grs. Have to wait for mold to get here to find out. Was pulled between the Lyman 358156 and this one. Already have a LEE C358158swc so was looking for something with plain base for everyday plinking and for targets of opportunity. Typically run an alloy of 11- 13 bhn with nothing harder than 15. Again, appreciate your insight.

Boolit Master
    The 358477 is a long time proven winner in both 357 and 38 Spl. I'll bet you have a hard time finding a load that doesn't shoot well.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Moderator Emeritus

For a long time a max book load for that bullet and Unique was 5.4 gr. I used it as an accuracy load for 35 cal revolvers. If it would shoot accurately it was the guns fault. Lyman downgraded that to 5.0 gr and called it + P so I did also. It still shoots well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Mine drops a 150 grain.

Boolit Master

Load thousands ever year. One of my go-to designs for use in the Ruger Blackhawk and Marlin M1894. I use Pat Marlins PB checks on mine. One cavity is HP's and that makes for a very useful combination. You got a winner./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

One of my favorite moulds, really shoots well in my 38 specials
    3.0 grains of Bullseye will outperform others for accuracy
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 02-02-2022 at 08:02 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks gentlemen for your replies. Sitting on pins and needles awaiting its arrival.
    skeettx, was sworn into the Air Force 3 Feb 66. Basic in San Antonio from feb till middle of Mar then was bussed to Amarillo for tech school from middle Mar thru Jun66. Loved Amarillo, beautiful country. That's saying something cause I'm an mountain boy here in northest Alabama. Shipped out to Hawaii and then finished my hitch at Austin TX. Our school squadron built a pen and barn at the Amarillo Zoo and donated 2 donkeys. My job was taking care of the donkeys till their facility was built. Had a ball! USAF flew them from the Isle of Sardinia. Loved the Air Force but not the pay. Retired from Army Reserves. Thank You for your service and wish you and your a healthy and happy New Year.

Boolit Master

Thank you
    Graduated High School in 1967
    Graduated La. Tech Univ and was commissioned 27 May 1971,
    Missile Ops and then Munitions (conventional and nuke)
    We are about the same age !!
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Out of all the molds in the 150 range the Lyman 358477 and the RCBS 150 were the best that my friends and I could come up with, testing them on a Ransom Rest. For me the RCBS is the best but not by much and unless you are using them in competition don't worry about it all plus a different gun could be different. I am talking about 2 inches at 50 yards to 2 1/2 plus the Lyman can be bought in 4 cavity whereas the RCBS cannot. We were shooting in Distinguished Revolver Bullseye matches that required 38 revolvers and the bullet was supposed to be a 158 SWC. At first they had to be commercial so we tried everything and they were all bad. Things changed when you could load your own and the best commercial types were swagged but none were as good as cast. My load was 3.6 grains of 231 and my friends was 3.7. Every gun is an entity to itself even if made by the same manufacturer around the same time and the differences are slim but important when your Bullseye 10 ring is right at 3 inches and you are shooting at 50 yards and you want to win.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    My mold is an Ideal marked four cavity that drops them at a hundred fifty grains . It normally gets loaded with Unique at or near plus "P" levels . I have a small stash a fella powder coated for me and use those in a .357 results are very good .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Grand Master
    IME, the 358-477 is more accurate in the 38 or 357 than the 358-429. It is the most accurate plain-based, SWC available for the 38 Special. 3.5 grains of Bullseye or Red Dot will clump the boolits as close as you can hold them.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 02-04-2022 at 10:35 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I have the RCBS equivalent, 38-150-SWC. It's my favorite in 38 / 357. A close second is the RCBS 38-158-CM.
    You're going to love it.

I used the 358477 for a while and found it very accurate.
    I happened across an NOE 360 150 SWC mold in 5 cavities and tried that. The differences are a slightly shorter nose and a wider front driving band. In my revolvers, it shoots at least as well as the Lyman boolit so I switched.
    My Lyman mold was a 2 cavity and that had a lot to do with it.
    I never got hold of the RCBS equivalent to test so I can't speak about that one.

I have since run across a 2 cavity version of the NOE mold that is configured for gas checks and hollow points. I use that one with a softer alloy for social purposes.

Boolit Master
    It was the second mold I bought over 50 years ago. Mine casts 150gr and is one of the best casting molds I have. It's also the best shooting 35cal mold I have.

IIRC 357477 was designed by Phil Sharpe. Keith hated it and downed it every chance he could. It was because he didn't design it. Keith and Donald Trump share some common traits. That said, it is a proven, reliable performer.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had a double cavity for 40 years. My go to in 357 or 38

Boolit Buddy
    Well mold arrived Friday and as seller had described was in immaculate condition. Yesterday was cold with a fair north/northeast breeze but couldn't wait to cast. While my pot warmed and melted a handful of wheelweight ingots placed the mold sprueplate down on hot plate to warm up. SOO Pleased. Never happened before but cast approx 300-350 bullets with no visible defects or flaws. Bullets after cooling average .3595, weighed 151grs and was 11bhn. This afternoon the plan is to size and lube some to see how they shoot and find their sweet spot. According to the QC slip in mold box it was produced in 2008. Really pleased and I want to Thank each member for their experience with this particular mold. I was initially drawn to this mold but others favored different molds. I have a LEE C358158swc but was looking for a good plainbase bullet.