RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GC Mold Won't Accept Check

Boolit Master

It's not the bullet diameter, it's the gas check shank diameter. Myself and several others have a 44 Magnum/444 mold that the gas check shank is .015" too large. Our e-mails have been ignored.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    This guy absolutely doesn't understand cutting a gas check shank on his molds for gas checks sold in the United States. I've got the same mold as Rick above and there is no way you are going to shoe horn a gas check on the bullets. He is not making good on his error. Its a brass paper weight.

Boolit Master
    A slightly over-sized punch ground with a bevel at the tip to open the check’s mouth works best for me, much faster and easier than the NOE expander (same principle).
    Lay the checks out on a hardened surface (steel plate) and breeze through them like Whack-a-Mole… A little tap is usually all it takes.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    All my GC’s are Hornaday …. Snap, click … Done
    25 up to 45 calibers
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    A slightly over-sized punch ground with a bevel at the tip to open the check’s mouth works best for me, much faster and easier than the NOE expander (same principle).
    Lay the checks out on a hardened surface (steel plate) and breeze through them like Whack-a-Mole… A little tap is usually all it takes.
    I guess it is off to Harbor Freight tomorrow. I have several punches but I don't want to start modifying a quality punch. I'll be sure and take one of the checks with me so I don't waste a trip.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    ^^^^This is what I did for a stubborn Lyman 311-291. A cheapo K-mart nail set was ground down and voila! A piece of 1/4 inch iron strap, a 12 oz ball peen hammer, and in about three seconds a gas check, you have opened them up to fit your fat-butted boolit.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the LEE specialty milds is like that. 8mm drops at about 250gr.
    Shank is too small. Call NOE and order the GC expander.

You need the die and proper expander. Gonna have to fiddle with it to get it right, but it works.
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...heck-expander/

Shiloh

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've got a MP .327 Single 7 Mjoinir(?) mold from a GB quite awhile back. I've ignored it up to now due to other projects. Finally cast up a few along with a similar, but not the same, Accurate mold. The MP molded boolits won't seat a gas check. The Accurate boolits fit fine.

I think if I was able to expand the check slightly, I could get them to seat. Anyone have any recommendation how to best do this? None of the various tools I've got around the shop are of a size to expand a .30 caliber check.
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I have a plastic dead blow mallet that i judiciously use to tap the nose on stubborn checks. I also anneal my checks on the glass top stove, when they change color i push them off the burner with a spatula. I also cut the sprue a bit faster so i get a nice smooth and flat base.

Boolit Grand Master

Another trick is to use your outside deburring tool to cut a bevel on the gas check shank base , the beveled shank along with a slightly expanded gas check and they pop right on ...also seating the check while sizing the boolit in a Lyman 450 / 4500 makes it as easy as Pi (pie).
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    After seeing this thread seriously discussed for two pages I just could resist asking, “If it ‘…won’t accept check…’ have you tried cash or a major credit card?” Sorry, but I just couldn’t resist.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I have a .44 Miha mold that the checks fit on well ( nice and tight ). Using Hornadys. I also have .30 cal Lee and Accurate molds that accept checks without problems. I can see how it would be frustrating to not have them fit though.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    After seeing this thread seriously discussed for two pages I just could resist asking, “If it ‘…won’t accept check…’ have you tried cash or a major credit card?” Sorry, but I just couldn’t resist.

Froggie
    I thought today was St. Patrick's Day ... apparently it's ... Bad Joke Thursday WooHoo !!!

That is pretty funny
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    “De debil made me do it!”
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I got a chance to go to the shop and fiddle with the 3/8th bolt that I modified after it was suggested by a post here. I then chucked it up in the drill press and expanded about 50 or so. They slipped right on so were a little big but worked fine after sizing.

It occurred to me that I should have miked the GC shank. I didn't think of that until I had left the shop. My alloy is just COWW with a little tin. I've never been to concerned about trying to adjust size by varying the alloy. This would be a good opportunity to do a little experimenting using this mold.

Don't think I need to go to Harbor Freight.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Why mess around any farther? Just make that tool I posted and don't worry about fiddling to make a mold do what it isn't meant to.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I got a chance to go to the shop and fiddle with the 3/8th bolt that I modified after it was suggested by a post here. I then chucked it up in the drill press and expanded about 50 or so. They slipped right on so were a little big but worked fine after sizing.

It occurred to me that I should have miked the GC shank. I didn't think of that until I had left the shop. My alloy is just COWW with a little tin. I've never been to concerned about trying to adjust size by varying the alloy. This would be a good opportunity to do a little experimenting using this mold.

Don't think I need to go to Harbor Freight.
    I honestly think the tool fix will be much easier to achieve than coming up with a special alloy ...
    I can use a tool a lot better than hitting that pefect blend of metal that allows a check to snap on .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Occasionally I will get a cast boolit that has a very small skirt on the base of the gas check shank that makes it very hard if not impossible to fit a gas check..I have resorted to filing them down the best I can with a small hand file. Does anyone know of a tool similar to a case outside deburring tool that could be used for this?
    Both my case deburring tools have a pin in the center that prevents it from being used for this purpose.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I have some 30 caliber checks that were too tight on my shanks. So, I ground a 5/16 punch with a taper, polished it mirror bright, and use that to expand. I only have a box, they are the old ideal checks. The punch is a mac brand I scored in a bucket of wheel weights! When I’m done with that box I’ll grind it off square again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Occasionally I will get a cast boolit that has a very small skirt on the base of the gas check shank that makes it very hard if not impossible to fit a gas check..I have resorted to filing them down the best I can with a small hand file. Does anyone know of a tool similar to a case outside deburring tool that could be used for this?
    Both my case deburring tools have a pin in the center that prevents it from being used for this purpose.
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...ol-power-tool/

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...r-tool-manual/

There is another brand I recall but I can’t find it.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Bazoo!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12