Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a dipper?

Boolit Man

Are you a dipper?

Little tongue in cheek on the post title, just wondering how many of you dip out of a lead pot VS bottom pour? My Lee 4 #20 is just dripping way to much to use and I was thinking about turning it in to a ladle pot or just buying another bottom pour. I noticed Lee has a newer design that doesn't use that confounded pan head adjustment screw to adjust flow, not sure if Cabelas sells that model or not.

Boolit Grand Master

Experience shows us some molds cast better with a dipper. Others do not seem to matter.....
    Then there is the "what do I want to do today".... Some days I just like to use a dipper.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

I dipper cast,my pot is a 120 lb gas fired pot. I use several different dippers depending on what Im doing. I find the long heavy bullets I cast are more consistent with the dippers. I cast 38 caliber to 45 caliber in heaver weights. most are 1.3"-1.4" long. Some have a insert for cup bases.

My ladles are lyman, RCBS, and a rowel. the Lyman and RCBS have been modified by drilling out the spouts to .205 chamfering the inside edge and truing the taper on the end improving the flow and seal.

I over pour my moulds when casting. I make the dip by going to the bottom of the pot then a swirl and out. This helps keep the pot blended and gets to the hottest metal. The mould hangs over the pot and the full ladle is poured into the cavity until empty letting the excess runs back in the pot. I get a very consistent sprue to draw from and the base is kept molten much longer than normal improving fill and off gassing. Most days with the 20-1 alloy a 4 hour run will be with in .5 grains for the run after sorting for visual defects. I also when starting throw the first 10-15 casts back in the pot. This starts the tun with the mould in a more normal state.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bnt55 View Post
    Little tongue in cheek on the post title, just wondering how many of you dip out of a lead pot VS bottom pour? My Lee 4 #20 is just dripping way to much to use and I was thinking about turning it in to a ladle pot or just buying another bottom pour. I noticed Lee has a newer design that doesn't use that confounded pan head adjustment screw to adjust flow, not sure if Cabelas sells that model or not.
    No, I am not a dipper. I have three operable bottom-pour units -- two Lyman Mould Masters and one RCBS Pro-melt, all of which are bottom pour. I am not consistent enough or ???? to have reliable success using dipping/pouring, and even invested in both Rowland (sp?) and RCBS pour ladles... While dipper-cast bullets I see range buddies using are great -- again, I seem to have better success with the bottom pour.

Boolit Master
    I am not a dipper I use a RCBS Pro-melt.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Those Lee pots like to drip, but if you are willing to tinker with them they can get the job done. If your pot has had a lot of use, maybe lapping the valve and seat can improve things.

I have only used one Lyman dipper or the other

Boolit Grand Master
    I have both.
    Don Verna

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Those Lee pots like to drip, but if you are willing to tinker with them they can get the job done. If your pot has had a lot of use, maybe lapping the valve and seat can improve things.
    I have tried everything with that pot, she is just worn out. I will keep it for using as parts or maybe as a dipper

Boolit Grand Master

I started out with a dipper ... read here how much better bottom pour was ... used two different bottom pour pots for about 5 years and discovered I get my best boolits with 1 , 2 , 3 &4 cavity moulds when pressure casting with a dipper .
    I gave my bottom pour to a member who lost his stuff in a house fire and bought a Lee Magnum Melter 20 lb . and went back to dipping with a Lyman dipper that has the side spout .
    I want good boolits , near perfect and the bottom pour produced lots of imperfect boolits ... pressure casting with a dipper produces lots of near perfect boolits ... and since it was how I learned ...it's the way I enjoy doing it most .
    The 20# Lee Magnum Melter is a winner if you want to dip ... !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I am pretty much full time with the bottom pour pots, both Lee 10 and 20 and have added the PID for better temp control. I do dip when casting alloy test samples for the hardness testing of scrap lead batches so I have consistent samples to test. Clean alloy and not attempting to adjust the flow rate on the 20 pound Lee seems to decrease the drip problems. I prefer the full on and full off when casting. Might get a little sloppy, but a fast fill does a better job of getting well filled out castings.

Boolit Master
    First thought this was about a big fat dip of chaw which I dont do LOL. I dip and pour so I guess I'm two fisted.

Boolit Buddy

I started out as a dipper over four decades ago, RB 375, RB 440 and conical for 36 cap & ball. I don't recall manufacturers of small pot and ladle. As I recall I had have my dad go with me to a Des Moines area GS to purchase BP as I wasn't old enough.
    I still have all those molds and equipment. Using a 10lb Lee these days.

Boolit Master

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Bnt55 View Post
    I picked up a older style valve assembly Lee 4/20 bottom pore pot from a member here a couple years ago , that's when I realized why a lot of people have trouble with them . After replacing the old style valve adjustment system with the new assembly that older pot runs right beside the newest 4/20 . The newer assembly that just has the threaded plunger with a slot in it for adjustment works much better than the older one with the extra screw for adjustment . For a few bucks to Lee you can replace the older style turning your old pot into a new pot .
    I do both dip from the top & dump out the bottom

Boolit Master

I started out dipping, in 1962. I was 8yrs old.
    Moved to bottom pour Pro-Melt in 1975, was 21.
    Still dip Pure for Black Powder. And in taking samples of Alloys.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I started out as a dipper and had problems getting good fill out and bases on MP's 32 cal and 475 molds. I did some research and learned how to pressure cast and problem solved.

About a year into casting and recovered from the initial expense of getting set up, I found an old RCBS Pro Melt on the BST for a decent price before anyone else did and snagged it. I assembled it and got it going but could not get the quality I.was used to casting with a ladle.

Since, I've built a couple of PIDs and use one with my Lee 20 pound pot and it has increased the consistency. I have since contemplated building my own 60 pound pot, buying one or just picking up the new RCBS pot.

I guess I'm just a ladler for life.
    Last edited by Greg S; 02-04-2022 at 11:44 AM.

Boolit Master
    My Lee 4-20 started dripping enough it pissed me off and I locked it down. Got tired of messing with it, even lapped the rod/spout. I made some bottom pour ladles from stainless condiment ladles, works very well for me. Im sold on casting that way now.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master

I dipper cast for 20+ years before moving to a bottom pour. The bottom pour is so convenient that I’ll never go back.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

I started out as a bottom pour guy in the 60's and by the 70's had become a hard-core dipper. I gives me much more control over the lead stream.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    I do both. I feel that I get better results by using an RCBS ladle than by bottom pouring with any of my three bottom pour pots; a Lee Production pot IV, a Lee 4-20, or an original RCBS Promelt. The Lee ten pounder is the only one that I have had a deluge of melted lead from; although both the 4-20 and the Promelt drip, the Promelt occasionally while the 4-20 tends to self limit if I am ladle casting from it.

I bought one of the Lee Magnum Melter furnaces just before the pandemic hit and I have to say if I had bought it first, I might not have went down the bottom pour road. Bottom pouring is fine for up close plinkers; for rifle boolits, I definitely prefer the ladle.

Robert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast