Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a dipper?

Boolit Master
    I am strictly a bottom pour caster. I have an RCBS Pro melt and a Lee 4-20, both with a PID. I cast 22 cal 55 gr -- 7mm 145 gr -- 32 cal 100 gr -- 35 cal 140, 158, and 200 gr -- 30 cal 210 gr -- 40 cal 180 gr -- 44 cal 225, 240, 265 gr -- 45 cal 230 gr. So none of mine are long, large caliber bullets. I have tried ladle casting and truly don't care for it. I can't imagine getting better quality, consistent results than I'm getting with my bottom pour. I'm a competition shooter and I'm kinda OCD. But i will say that I spent a great deal of time with each mold I have to learn exactly what technique it liked to get good results. Mold temp, alloy temp, cadence, all play a role as well as how close you hold the sprue plate to the bottom pour spout and how you adjust the flow rate. My PID also contributed greatly to getting good results. Each of my molds has it's likes and dislikes. I keep notes specific to each mold so I can repeat my results. In the end, do what works for you and makes you happy. For me, it's bottom pour only.

Boolit Master

A Rowell #1 bottom pour ladle saved me from a life of fighting with drips and the occasional catastrophic pot dump.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a bottom pour guy with an RCBS ProMelt. But we started with a 10# cast iron pot on a Coleman stove. I believe my bullets are just as good. I still have that Lyman Ladle but I don't know where the cast iron pot got off to. I believe it was a Lyman too.

Won't have a bottom pour in the house. Been down that road once, and it was before the internet and all the smart guys figured all this stuff out.

Main pot is a 20 lb Magnum Melter, strictly a dipper pot. Have 2 small 4 lb dipper pots, one bought used here very reasonable. One new with thermostat. Both work fine. I have one pretty much dedicated to tin/pewter, other is a spare.

Loved the Magnum melter from the day I got it.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I was born with only two hands, which leaves me about four short of the amount that seems necessary for ladle casting.

Started with a Lyman pot that was also drippy. Went RCBS and have been totally satisfied. The stop screw that controls your rate of flow is easily adjusted on the fly while wearing gloves, so you can keep your pour rate even as your pot runs empty.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Experience shows us some molds cast better with a dipper. Others do not seem to matter.....
    Then there is the "what do I want to do today".... Some days I just like to use a dipper.
    ^^^ without having yet read other replies. I have found that some molds/bullets just will not bottom pour, no matter how I hold my mouth. It was difficult to accept the reality, but it is what it it is.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Man
    I didnt realize there were different kind of ladles for dipping until I got my copy of the Lyman Cast Bullets book and on the cover is a pour style ladle. I've always used an old cast iron ladle with a notch to direct flow. I will occasionally pour large fishing sinkers and they seem to do better with a ladle.

I dip.

BTW, what is meant by "pressure casting?"

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    I dip.

BTW, what is meant by "pressure casting?"

--Wag--
    Where you put the spout of the ladle or furnace against the sprue hole and the weight of the lead column aids in fill out.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I do both but use bottom pour pots . Thought about buying a dedicated dip pot but haven't so far . I been dipping out of the old SAECO pots for well over 50 years and never felt at any disadvantage .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Dipping was the only way I stopped smoking 20 years ago, now if only I can stop dipping. At least I gave my lungs a break.

BTW, I only cast boolits from the bottom, save the ladling for rendering wheel weights.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bnt55 View Post
    I didnt realize there were different kind of ladles for dipping until I got my copy of the Lyman Cast Bullets book and on the cover is a pour style ladle. I've always used an old cast iron ladle with a notch to direct flow. I will occasionally pour large fishing sinkers and they seem to do better with a ladle.
    The Rowell bottom pour ladles are hard to bet due to the self-skimming feature. This is my favorite. https://www.rotometals.com/casting-l...handle-length/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-04-2022 at 02:33 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Dipping was the only way I stopped smoking 20 years ago, now if only I can stop dipping. At least I gave my lungs a break.

BTW, I only cast boolits from the bottom, save the ladling for rendering wheel weights.

Slim
    same for me in 1978.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Rowell bottom pour ladle.
    USMC 6638

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Where you put the spout of the ladle or furnace against the sprue hole and the weight of the lead column aids in fill out.
    Ah. Thank you. It's what I do, I just didn't know it was called that.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    i dip. get perfect bullets that way.

Both. For BPCR bullets, and most big heavy rifle bullets in general I ladle pour. Pistol and plinking fodder gets bottom poured.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The Rowell bottom pour ladles are hard to bet due to the self-skimming feature. This is my favorite. https://www.rotometals.com/casting-l...handle-length/
    That’s a neat idea for a ladle. Does it ever get gunked from impurities up and the flow slows down?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I only dip with my Rowell ladles when I need to. Too slow going for me! Only 3 of my many molds are fussy and need to be used that way. Otherwise, I crank 600-800 perfect boolits with bottom pour and 6 cav brass molds.

And do not forget "pressure casting" using the 4-20. By forcing the Pb into the mold under its own head pressure in the pot, you can many times get excellent drops and forget the ladle slow-down. Just put the nozzle right down in the sprue hole..................and watch out for squirting Pb!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have both.
    Same here I do both.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast