Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pet insurance

Boolit Master

Pet insurance

Any recommendations for pet medical insurance?
    Experiences with actually using the insurance and getting a payout?
    Our new coonhound/lab mix just cost us a fortune, ate a dish towel and got blocked up.

Thanks,
    Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Ask your vet which one they like

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by recumbent View Post
    ^^^^^^^ THIS, our son has pet insurance on his bully, I scoffed when he told me that BUT, a few years later “Abbott” had some issues, cost him $2K but he had a check from the insurance for the full amount in two weeks….I had to eat crow….

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by recumbent View Post
    The simple things.
    I meant to ask but got overwhelmed on my multiple vet visits.
    My daughters first dog that’s considered hers. Kind of important that Stacey was ok.

She’s the neediest dog I’ve ever had, spastastic, easy to get mad at, impossible to stay mad at.
    She’s probably the smartest dog we’ve ever had, just stubborn and prone to make bad choices. Sounds like us.

She’s a piece of work, but she’s family.

I guess I should call our vet and ask.
    Thanks for the very simple yet extremely useful advice.

Boolit Master

Most vets have some form of insurance they partner with. I find my local vet and talk to them. I recommend it. Its saved me more than once. Even a Care Credit Card (credit card just for vet fees)is a good alternative. I have used the Care Credit card and Insurance plans. Insurance will save you money, but the Care credit card will allow you to get services and pay for them. Most vets here make you pay first.

Blew me away when i realized you cant get vet services without paying first. Wonder how many pets were taken home to die slowly and painfully because someone couldnt afford the bill.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I never had pet insurance except for what damage they might do. It makes sense though. My son has spent thousands on vet bills.

Boolit Grand Master

I've never priced pet insurance. We spent $600 for bladder surgery on a "free" cat years ago. She is right at 18 years old now and I would do it again. She has recently changed Her eating and potty habits with weight loss and we paid $175 for an office visit and blood test to find out that She needs Thyroid meds. They are actually pretty cheap.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Most vets have some form of insurance they partner with. I find my local vet and talk to them. I recommend it. Its saved me more than once. Even a Care Credit Card (credit card just for vet fees)is a good alternative. I have used the Care Credit card and Insurance plans. Insurance will save you money, but the Care credit card will allow you to get services and pay for them. Most vets here make you pay first.

Blew me away when i realized you cant get vet services without paying first. Wonder how many pets were taken home to die slowly and painfully because someone couldnt afford the bill.

Do you think a Veterinarian should take money out of their own pocket to take care of an animal if the owner doesnt have the cash to pay? I sure don't
    East Tennessee

Overpriced, in my never-to-be-humble opinion. If you pay $5,000 for pet insurance for two dogs in three years, would you have had that much in vet bills during that time? Or you could put the $5,000 in a savings account and pay if something goes south on you.

As always, it's a gamble, to be sure.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    Overpriced, in my never-to-be-humble opinion. If you pay $5,000 for pet insurance for two dogs in three years, would you have had that much in vet bills during that time? Or you could put the $5,000 in a savings account and pay if something goes south on you.

As always, it's a gamble, to be sure.

--Wag--
    Not sure what plans you’ve looked at, I’m looking at $108 per year accident only, covers foreign object ingestion.
    10k per year coverage, 90% payout $250 deductible.

What this plan would have paid on our recent vet bills would pay the premiums for my dogs lifetime with money leftover.

Biggest issue is this is reimbursement type coverage, you’ve got to have the money available right then.

Boolit Master

Care Credit is not a bad option. You have to pay but most vets have a plan that gives you a year interest free. Next time you see one of the big insurance companies buildings,, you will understand, that insurance isn't the cheap way to go!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Do you think a Veterinarian should take money out of their own pocket to take care of an animal if the owner doesnt have the cash to pay? I sure don't
    It just made me feel weird when my cat was dying of liver failure they wouldnt give her an IV unless i paid up front. My mother in Law happened to have the Care Credit Card so we paid for everything upfront. She was my buddy and supervisor. She didnt make it. But i tried.

If i walked into a hospital they would fix me up and bill me later. My cat walks into the hospital and doesnt get an IV till cash is in hand. Life is life and no matter who or what its still invaluable wrong to waste.

Guess it only hurts me because it was my cat and I loved her more than than the world. I valued her opinion more than peoples. I didnt care untill it was me and now i am biased.

I see your point but doesnt mean i like it. Pluss vets dont get the investments and funds like a people doctor would..

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Dunno about the US ,but here the pet medical insurance cant be renewed after the animal is 8 yr old.

Boolit Master
    had a friend that paid $9,000 for a operation on his dog. the vet suggested not to operate, that the chances were slim. but he and his wife said do it. dog died on the operating room table. they live outside phoenix az. so i think the same operation in a NORMAL area would cost much less. they had no insurance but could afford the bill

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    A friend would have spent over $75K on his two poodles if not for pet insurance! Hip replacements, diabetes, cancer, glaucoma, etc,

Well worth the investment.................if you love your pets. I personally am in favor of saying goodbye and getting a new one.

I have lost many beloved pets over the years.

Pets have a limited lifetime with us, but their memories live on forever with us.

banger

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Well yeah since they are taxpayer funded and collect tuition fees from students like LSU in B.Rouge wanted 3500.00 just to shrink a tumor and 12/13K to cut off 1/2 of the dogs top muzzle.
    Not to mention cancer on 1 of her mammary glands + spots on her liver that they couldn't I.D.
    Regular vet, Nope he has bills like the rest of us.
    Tax payer funded by the state, Heck yes they should have stepped up just for the learning experience.

Boolit Master

Wife has two Yorky-poodles. One’s 8, other is 4. The younger started favoring her left back leg at a year old. The vet thought pulled muscle / tendon. Second visit the x ray show bone deterioration at top of thigh bone. Surgery was successful. Pretty gruesome to me, they cut off top of the bone and the cartilage filled the gap. Her insurance ($250/year at the time) covered everything after we paid a $250 deductible. The total bill was near 3K.
    Through the years we’ve been reimbursed/ covered for about $4,300 for the two dogs. Then again the insurance premium is up to $410 per dog now.
    My adopted cocker-poo Lucy is 16 and never has been insured. In the 14 years I’ve had her, her medical treatments have averaged $350 / year. So for me it’s a wash.
    The pet insurance company for wife’s dogs is ‘Fetch’ in case you want a comp quote.

Boolit Bub
    Shop around the vet will have an interest in selling you a specific one. One cats insured the other's to scared to get himself in trouble, our dog is insured and being 2 working breeds x doesn't have automatic exclusions like other breeds. Eg hips n elbows for lab's, cheery eye for bull dogs or breathing/ airway for boxers n pugs. 30? a month is peace of mind, no subsidies like people for simple surgery. My boys are 6 n 2 they would take it hard if I had to give the pets the blunt end of a shovel...