Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique Hawken rifle with brass hardware

Boolit Buddy

Exclamation Antique Hawken rifle with brass hardware

This antique Hawken rifle sold at Morphy Auctions. It just goes to show that T/C Arms Company was not too far off.

https://www.morphyauctions.com/james...s-I_sthFvVWD0c

Boolit Master
    Nice. Note how deep the rifling is...

I don't think Sam Hawken built that gun. Looks like some of Tom Dawson's work. Tom did a lot of Hawken rifles and English sporting rifles Up through the 1980's.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I don't think Sam Hawken built that gun. Looks like some of Tom Dawson's work. Tom did a lot of Hawken rifles and English sporting rifles Up through the 1980's.
    I kind of lean that way, too, or at least a contemporary builder. It seems I see several anomalies that wouldn't have come out of the Hawken shop.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I kind of lean that way, too, or at least a contemporary builder. It seems I see several anomalies that wouldn't have come out of the Hawken shop.
    I felt that way too. Not based on any special knowledge on my part. Just don't seem right.

What are the anomalies that you see?

For a simple starter, the screw heads are too good.

Boolit Master
    Then it was clearly misrepresented in the auction.

Either way, a very nice rifle.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Mighty hard to break a real Hawken through the wrist with as much iron as is in the through bolted tang and trigger plate. Hum?

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by longcruise View Post
    I felt that way too. Not based on any special knowledge on my part. Just don't seem right.

What are the anomalies that you see?
    I don't recall seeing an original with that trigger guard. Totally wrong, looks like from one of the modern re-pops. And, what appears to be a copper nose cap. Geometry of the stock looks off, too. Fake. It MIGHT have an original barrel and lock.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    so it is a FAKE, not as posted for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    so it is a FAKE, not as posted for sale?
    I would say it has a very questionable pedigree. Look at pictures of any original Hawken, you can see the differences.

Boolit Buddy

You are looking at a photograph of an original Hawken. They built custom rifles.

Lovely rifle, the lock inlet is a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun Symphony View Post
    You are looking at a photograph of an original Hawken. They built custom rifles.
    How do you explain the modern made trigger guard and copper nose cap?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    How do you explain the modern made trigger guard and copper nose cap?
    You really mean it's "modern" because it's brass.

It is an antique rifle, they built custom rifles. End of story.

Hardly. I have built muzzleloading rifles for a living for 42 years. That "Hawken" is not any older that the 1970's. There are guys out there that can fake this stuff easy. TK Dawson used to stamp his guns S. HAWKEN all the time, I have seen several. Take this gun apart and you'll see some surprising things.

Thought real Hawken’s had two barrel wedges and steel trigger guards.

No, I mean because the design of the trigger guard on the picture isn't like what they used back then. The forward spur is in the wrong location, and the guard it's self is short. It looks like a Vincent guard. I have never seen an example with a copper nose cap by Hawkens, or anyone else.

Boolit Grand Master

I have looked at a lot of pics of original Hawken rifles and viewed some in person. I scratch built my first one in 1979. I fully admit I have never held one and I am far from what would be considered an expert. As pointed out this one has several issues that indicate it's not an original Hawken.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-07-2022 at 04:44 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast