Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1 Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    RMR has 110 FMJ (13.5 cent each if you buy 1,000). I think they have free shipping too.
    Luckily I amassed several thousand 110 gr bullets back when they weren’t priced like gold. I trim .30 carbine as needed, mainly because while my inland doesn’t seem to care, my AMT III can be demanding. I use 4227 & H110. If you decide you like the H110 pm me.
    H110 is what I have on hand.
    buzzard`s gotta eat, same as the worms
    Josey Wales

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I’ve been loading .30 Carbine for only 5 years or so but I’ve never trimmed a case yet. I don’t even sort the brass by headstamp they just work. M1 Carbines are neat to have fun to shoot.
    I have to trim my 30 carbine brass nearly every time, it seems like this is really based on your gun unlike some other straight wall cartridges cause I’ve seen responses all over the internet stating one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    I just casted my first 30 carbine pills (lee 309-113) PC/GC and sized to .311 (slugged at .310) and plan to try them hopefully this weekend. But if your looking for jacketed, I usually use extreme bullets 110gr. They’re usually always in stock and have them on sale frequently. I load them over 14gr H110 and can regularly hit a 6” steel plate at 100 shooting offhand with it. Hopefully I’ll get at least similar results with casts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who’s got CCI 400 primers that don’t want an arm & leg for em.
    Josey Wales

Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    Who’s got CCI 400 primers that don’t want an arm & leg for em.
    Small pistol primers, if you have any, work just as well.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Primer availability (at a reasonably price anyway) may be a long time coming, perhaps never.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Small pistol primers, if you have any, work just as well.
    That’s a new one on me. Anyone else wanna chime in on this.
    Josey Wales

That’s a new one on me. Anyone else wanna chime in on this.
    It really isn't difficult to understand.

The .357 Magnum uses the same powders as the .30 Carbine (H110, et al.) and it uses small pistol and small pistol magnum primers, so it stands to reason they would work just as well in the .30 Carbine, which actually uses less of the same powders as the .357. I know, the .30 Carbine operates at higher pressure than the .357 Magnum, (40,000 psi vs. 35,000 psi) but small pistol primers are also used in the .327 Federal Magnum, whose maximum pressure is 46,000 psi.

Over the last two years I've chronographed all manner of .30 Carbine loads using small rifle, small rifle magnum, small pistol and small pistol magnum primers, and there's really not enough difference in velocities to worry about. But, you use what you want to use.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

That's useful info for when I have more small pistol than small rifle primers - I can save the small rifle primers for 5.56 and .300BO. Thanks 35 Whelen.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I tested Federal small pistol in the 30 Carbine my regular FPS is 1850 with 120 gr cast and I got backed out and flat primers . I found that at about 1600 FPS pressure is at a useable level and the action would operate . The 30 Carbine is a high pressure rife round .

Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    I tested Federal small pistol in the 30 Carbine my regular FPS is 1850 with 120 gr cast and I got backed out and flat primers . I found that at about 1600 FPS pressure is at a useable level and the action would operate . The 30 Carbine is a high pressure rife round .
    Are any of you other guy’s getting backed out pistol primers.
    Josey Wales

Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    I tested Federal small pistol in the 30 Carbine my regular FPS is 1850 with 120 gr cast and I got backed out and flat primers . I found that at about 1600 FPS pressure is at a useable level and the action would operate . The 30 Carbine is a high-pressure rife round .
    If you're getting backed out primers you might want to have your rifles headspace checked or see if something in your loading process is causing a headspace issue (excessive taper crimp...?). There's no reason, other than that, that a SPP would back out of the primer pocket when a SRP didn't.

The .30 Carbine is a relatively low-pressure round among modern rifle cartridges. Along the same lines, I was looking at Hodgdon's data for the 5.7x28 and they developed their loads using Winchester small pistol primers. A few of their loads approach 50,000 psi, too. Same with Accurate Powders data, and they state that either SPP or SRP's may be used.

All that said, if using SPP's in a .30 Carbines is going to worry a fella, then he shouldn't use them. I have plenty of SPP's so that's what I've been using for some time now and will continue to do so.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    With the similar pressures of the .357 carbine, vs. .30 Carbine, I could see using small pistol primers in the latter (though I've never tried them), but I'd do what I could in the way of a work-up (3% redux'n with H110), rather than just start at 14.0/H110/110 gr. Each of the .30 M1 carbines can be something of a "breed of its own" in terms of how it handles certain reloaded ammunition.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    With the similar pressures of the .357 carbine, vs. .30 Carbine, I could see using small pistol primers in the latter (though I've never tried them), but I'd do what I could in the way of a work-up (3% redux'n with H110), rather than just start at 14.0/H110/110 gr. Each of the .30 M1 carbines can be something of a "breed of its own" in terms of how it handles certain reloaded ammunition.
    I’ll definitely reduce it. I have spp since I can’t get rifle primers
    Josey Wales

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    If you're getting backed out primers you might want to have your rifles headspace checked or see if something in your loading process is causing a headspace issue (excessive taper crimp...?). There's no reason, other than that, that a SPP would back out of the primer pocket when a SRP didn't.

The .30 Carbine is a relatively low-pressure round among modern rifle cartridges. Along the same lines, I was looking at Hodgdon's data for the 5.7x28 and they developed their loads using Winchester small pistol primers. A few of their loads approach 50,000 psi, too. Same with Accurate Powders data, and they state that either SPP or SRP's may be used.

All that said, if using SPP's in a .30 Carbines is going to worry a fella, then he shouldn't use them. I have plenty of SPP's so that's what I've been using for some time now and will continue to do so.

35W
    I have no problem using pistol primers. I just wanted to see if others we’re using em and more than one opinion. Heck man, I gotta ton of pistol primers ��
    Josey Wales

Boolit Master
    Heck man, I gotta ton of pistol primers ��
    MAN, I wish you didn't live half a country away!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I’ll definitely reduce it. I have spp since I can’t get rifle primers
    Small rifle primers are available on Gunbroker, with a couple of caveats. First of course is how much are you willing to pay? Primers can be bought for 10¢ apiece including shipping, if you're patient and diligent in your search. Fiocchi Small Rifle Primers A far cry from the 4¢ or 5¢ we used to pay, but at least they can be bought. Second, you have to know how to find the deals without looking through thousands of listings.

35W

NRA Life Member

Ok, I just shot it for the first time today. Functioned flawless. Primers backed out just a tad but are still below the primer pocket. I loaded H-110
    @ 14.0 gr. Speer 110 gr. RN soft point with a Win. small rifle primer. Nothing out of the ordinary when I inspected the spent casings
    Josey Wales

You're off to a good start. Shoot groups with that load to establish an accuracy benchmark to maintain or surpass with cast.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Academy is selling CCI for $6.99/100 limit 400, when they have them. I just stop in anytime I’m driving by. Got small pistol back in October, small rifle this month. They also had large rifle magnum this month, but I have no need. Got 1200 each time over 2 days.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member