Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Powder to use in 30-30 with Large Pistol Primers

Boolit Master

Powder to use in 30-30 with Large Pistol Primers

My primer stash still has a good supply of Winchester Large Pistol primers. For plinking loads in 30-30 with 120 gr. bullet, what is the best powder to use with large pistol primers?

I have one pound of Bullseye, a couple of pounds of Clays and a good supply of Red Dot and HP-38.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    What gun are you shooting these in? A lever action? If so, you may have a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    My min. load in a 30 30 w/ Unique is 7 grains. I would try that w Red Dot & a pistol primer. A very slight crimp only if needed, may help. uncle mike in ct

I've pretty well switched over to Red Dot for all my .30cal. target shooting needs.
    Do a search for 'the load', or 'Red Dot in rifle loads'. You'll pull up a bunch of info about it using 10-13 gr. of Red Dot.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I've pretty well switched over to Red Dot for all my .30cal. target shooting needs.
    Do a search for 'the load', or 'Red Dot in rifle loads'. You'll pull up a bunch of info about it using 10-13 gr. of Red Dot.
    Danger Danger!!!

"The Load" is not suitable for the .30/30. 13 gr will be too much.

Red Dot will work but you need to start lower...say 7 gr and max of maybe 10 with 120 gr bullet.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

"The Load" and dverna is correct it's for larger cases.

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...The%20Load.htm
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-01-2022 at 06:40 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Would the concern for fast powders in 30-30 be mitigated by keeping pressures below those encountered in high end pistol loads?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

At < 40K CUP for 30-30, you have no concern with a WLP.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    At < 40K CUP for 30-30, you have no concern with a WLP.
    Large rifle and large pistol aren’t the same height. IIRC, the rifle primer is taller. Just something to remember when switching primers around.

Red Dot. This is a 165 grain bullet with 5.5 grains of it at 50 yards.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	715A3C51-4AC3-4595-A394-9E4ECC122E04.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	295599
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Red Dot. This is a 165 grain bullet with 5.5 grains of it at 50 yards.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	715A3C51-4AC3-4595-A394-9E4ECC122E04.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	295599
    And THAT is a nice group .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

I had a Winchester M94 Legacy some years back. When using WLP primers I encountered numerous "failures to fire" which we eventually traced to a light primer hit caused by the safety linkage insisted on by the lawyers. My old pre-64 M94 digested them just fine. The lighter primer hit combined with the shallower pistol primer made the difference and caused the problem. In using LPPs, load a test lot with whatever powder load you intend to use and insure that you don't have this problem./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    I had a Winchester M94 Legacy some years back. When using WLP primers I encountered numerous "failures to fire" which we eventually traced to a light primer hit caused by the safety linkage insisted on by the lawyers. My old pre-64 M94 digested them just fine. The lighter primer hit combined with the shallower pistol primer made the difference and caused the problem. In using LPPs, load a test lot with whatever powder load you intend to use and insure that you don't have this problem./beagle
    What he said^. My 30/30 prefers Red Dot at about 7 gr. and use of Federal LRP's since they seem to respond better to lighter hammer strikes.

Boolit Master
    My old levers do fine with pistol primers and Green Dot, and I'm sure the Red Dot and Bullseye would be similar. I'll bet all your powders will work fine with the Large Pistol primers, though Clays and Red Dot have the bulk to fill the case better.

And while dverna is right about 13 grains of Red Dot being too much for the 30/30, it isn't vastly too hot. 10 grains of your Red Dot or the Clays would be a sweet load with plenty of zip (over 1700 fps) with pressures well below max.

When I load 44 mag , I load LP. I use this ammo in both my hand guns & my Winchester 94 Legacy 44 rifle. I can tell no difference. Never had the slighest problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Danger Danger!!!
    "The Load" is not suitable for the .30/30. 13 gr will be too much.
    Red Dot will work but you need to start lower...say 7 gr and max of maybe 10 with 120 gr bullet.
    That's why I encourage folks to do their own research, and never hardly ever give out specific load data.
    What works well for me may or may not for somebody else.
    I use 10gr. in my old top eject Winchester with a 170RN, and up to 13 for .30-06 with a 190SP.

Plus, they may come up with something better than I have from my own research and they end up helping me.
    So far, I haven't shot my eye out.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

For my 30-30 plinking and small game loads I use a 175 gr. boolit and 5.0 gr. of bullseye. It's sub-sonic, about 950 fps, and works great! No filler needed.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    For those who do not have the Lyman handbook

115 gr cast with Red Dot...Start load is 7.0 gr @ 25,200 CUP and a max of 10.0 gr.@ 38,000 CUP
    151 gr cast with Red Dot...Start load is 6.8 gr @ 25,800 CUP and a max of 9.0 gr @ 38,100 CUP
    170 gr cast with Red Dot...Start load is 6.5 gr @ 22,600 CUP and a max of 8.5 gr @ 34.500 CUP

The above data from Lyman should be safe but starting at maximum is never a good plan.

Winger Ed's load (10 gr RD with 170 gr) may work in his gun but questionable in another. Almost 18% more powder over recommended max charge. Pressure is not linear, so....?? It is risky to use load suggestions on a forum without checking a manual.

I have no data for Bullseye, Clays or HP38 in the .30/30. Jaysouth, I would use Red Dot and the data for the 115 gr bullet.
    Don Verna

This load worked decently.

Gun: Trapper 94
    Bullet: BerryPlated 150grain
    Powder: 14.50 Alliant 2400
    Primer: Wolf Pistol
    Velocity: 1550