Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems, NOE Brass 360-182-WFN

Problems, NOE Brass 360-182-WFN

So I bought my first NOE mold. It was supposed to be a 5 cavity aluminum. After a month I called because I had not received it. I have him a call and he said my order had been mis-placed and he did not have that mold in stock. He offered to set up and run me one, but said it would be a while because he was having trouble getting stock for the molds. He offered a 4 cavity brass, which I accepted, and it shipped the next day.

So I did my first batch of casting today. It was a bit cold out at about 36F. I put the mold on top of my lee pro furnace and let everything warm up for about 30min with the furnace on HI. I tried to cast and got horribly wrinkled bullets. I put the bad bullets back in the furnace and put the mold back on top and let it warm up for another 15min. the second round they looked better but the lube grooves were not filling in. I let it sit for a bit more and got about 2 good casts until the mold cooled off too much and things went back out the window.

Am I going to need to use a hot plate or something to heat the mold? Not sure what else to do...

Other problems.... brass is HEAVY. my hands were killing me after casing maybe 40-60 bullets. I will NEVER order brass again unless its in a 2 cavity mold. 4 is WAY too heavy.

The sprue plate burned me. It kept swinging around too far and hitting my hand.

This is a gas check design. I was planning on using these heavies in my 357mag. I was planning on powder coating, however the 2 gas checks I have are both a VERY snug fit. Not sure how I am going to get them on once powder coated I did order some clear powder by the pound powder, as I have heard it goes on thinner than the eastwood... but still.

I also cast some with my lee molds, 124g round nose for 9mm, and 158g WFN for my 38spl. Both those molds threw flawlessly as usual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	todays castin.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	295572

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOE mold.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	295573

Boolit Man

I run my brass mould hot. Note I say mould, singular. I don't find a gain over aluminum, even in the RG or hollow point style from NOE. I also have a bunch of LBT moulds, all aluminum (all Veral makes is Al). Running hot makes the product good. Not hot enough yields lots of wrinkles and rounded driving bands, etc. I pre-heat on a hot plate and I cast in a large shop.

Tighten your sprue plate after you lube it to prevent it swinging too far.

If you have to cast in the cold, make sure the air is not moving a lot, whether you're outside or downwind of a fan, etc.

NOE has missed a couple of my orders by some computer glitch or even human error, but Al has always made it up to me. I couldn't be happier with their products and service.

NOE makes a gas check expander. It makes the checks go on easier. It's another step, whether or not you can handle that is up to you.
    Let's go Brandon!

Only place I have to cast is outside. But there was almost no wind today. I will be trying a hot plate next session. I will lube and tighten my sprue plate. The mold it beautiful, and he got the problem fixed. As I am running a progressive press the expander tool would be challenging at best to use.

Boolit Grand Master

Brass moulds need to be run hot and need to be broken in with about 3 casting sessions .

The 36 degree weather is sucking the heat out of the brass ... it's way too hard to cast well with brass in that cold weather . Don't give up on it just yet.

I was surprised by how heavy NOE moulds are , 4 cavity aluminum would weigh twice as much as 2 cavity Lee ...BOY , was I wrong ... that sucker is much heavier ...but nice .
    I don't want to think about the weight of the 4 cavity brass mould . I started experimenting with different ways to hold the mould , resting it on things while filling and doing anything I could to lessen the exertion on hands and wrist ...I'm 72 now and it's showing ... every NOE mould I have ordered since that first 4 cavity.... has been 3 cavity moulds ...just a little lighter and I like 3 cavity moulds .
    Don't give up on the mould , just try to come up with ways to cast that take some of the weight off you ... I rest the mould on the pot top and fill it with a ladle , also I fill while holding the mould in my left hand (ladle in right) but open mould while holding it in my right hand with mallet in left .
    By swapping which hand holds the mould between filling and opening ...each hand takes a turn holding the mould and sorta distributes the load between them .
    Get creative with your casting technique , come up with ways so your one hand isn't holding the mould all the time ! A brass NOE is too nice to give up on .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Not giving up, just a ROUGH first start..... I did cycle the mold in the oven 2 times at 400F to try an help ease in the break in process before casting today. Bullets dropped out easily, just could not get good clean bullet fill in. Thing is my cheap lee molds threw beautiful today.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    [QUOTE=Elmer Fudd;5346910]I run my brass mould hot. \

Yes Hot!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    For many years I thought I would like a 10 -hole H & G mold, then I lucked into one here, a 38 wadcutter. I'm also 72and have a bad shoulder along with some nerve damage in the left arm. I cast with the mold in the left hand.

I can't manipulate that big hunk of iron smoothly enough to get the mold up to temperature. And the shoulder aches for hours after an attempt at casting with it.

Watch for a 10-hole H&G to show up for sale here at some point.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Bub
    A hot plate should help. I've done a bit of casting in a Sub-Zero garage, and it can be pretty frustrating. I didn't see you mention degreasing the mold. Very important step, I assume you cleaned the cutting/machining oils out, but it's worth doing again. Hottest water you can stand and a good scrub with dawn soap.

I've had a few sessions foiled by getting too anxious and not scrubbing/heat cycling enough. The brass will need to be clean, then get an oxidation layer, and should rain casts after that. If you do decide to move that mold along, I guarantee it sells quick in good shape.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve found annealing checks helps them snap on easier. Worth a shot.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by harm View Post
    A hot plate should help. I've done a bit of casting in a Sub-Zero garage, and it can be pretty frustrating. I didn't see you mention degreasing the mold. Very important step, I assume you cleaned the cutting/machining oils out, but it's worth doing again. Hottest water you can stand and a good scrub with dawn soap.

I've had a few sessions foiled by getting too anxious and not scrubbing/heat cycling enough. The brass will need to be clean, then get an oxidation layer, and should rain casts after that. If you do decide to move that mold along, I guarantee it sells quick in good shape.
    This, my first two noe brass molds I cleaned and heat cycled, one cast good quick the other one not so much. I cranked up the heat too much too quick result was good bullets quicker but lead tinning on the mold, still haven’t got it perfectly clean hard to get off.
    I clean with a good solvent and bristle brush, brake clean, carb Cleaner denatured alcohol.
    Cast a little hotter than normal 2-3 times, don’t rush it. It will come around.
    My experiences

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=JWFilips;5346990]
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd View Post
    I run my brass mould hot. \

Yes Hot!
    Yes hot is right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Pro Tip:
    A hot mold will cast a smaller boolit. Then your GC will fit better.

Once you figure out how to keep your Brass mold hotter (hotter alloy and faster casting pace), you'll likely solve a couple problems. Once your boolits drop a dull grey and lightly frosty looking, instead of shiney, then you know you are there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
    Not giving up, just a ROUGH first start..... I did cycle the mold in the oven 2 times at 400F to try an help ease in the break in process before casting today. Bullets dropped out easily, just could not get good clean bullet fill in. Thing is my cheap lee molds threw beautiful today.
    How young are you ? Age plays a big part in it !
    And for all the bad press that Lee Moulds get ... I believe their two cavity moulds with handles that sell for $30.00 nowdays is one of the best bargains for a beginner ... I sure have a bunch of them and could always get decent boolits .
    I will admit that the NOE are the Lexus , they look good and cast great .
    Keep on keeping on ... that beautiful brass mould will come around .

Don't forget ... You got to "Hold Your Mouth Right" when casting
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    A hot plate or mold oven (mine is a hot plate with a coffee can over it) helps a lot. Also, flood the cavity as fast as you can. Don't let the lead swirl or dribble down through the plate, fill it fast and move along. Cast fast until they start dropping nicely and then you can slow down and admire or cull as needed. But go fast at first to get the mold hot.
    Good luck!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had to turn up the temp on my pot when casting with a brass mould and pre-heat it on a hot plate. After about 10 casts it started coming around. My casting area is about 58 degrees though

I have a similar issue with a 4 cav brass 380 mold from NOE. The ratio of mold to bullet cavity is huge and if I didn’t preheat on a hot plate it took a really long time to drop non wrinkled bullets. I don’t go crazy on the heat for the mold though.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are going to powder coat, you might not need the gas check design. Look at the Arsenal 190gr rnfp. A tumble lube design plain base. They have a 5 cav. in stock, in aluminum. I agree, those 4 cav. brass are HEAVY. Can't cast too long with mine before my wrist calls time out.

Boolit Master
    I've always used a propane torch to heat molds - one of the quick-lite models with a trigger. Usually get unwrinkled bullets on the first or second pour.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    If you are going to powder coat, you might not need the gas check design. Look at the Arsenal 190gr rnfp. A tumble lube design plain base. They have a 5 cav. in stock, in aluminum. I agree, those 4 cav. brass are HEAVY. Can't cast too long with mine before my wrist calls time out.
    I considered going with a non gas check design, however I figured they will still load and shoot without a gas check if I decide I don't need it.

So far my wrist has been fine, its been my hand cramping up....

Boolit Grand Master

I don't like brass molds either. They are very particular about heat, and hard to control. They are a bear to heat up, and once there, they are a bear to cool down. The best thing you can do is get it hot to begin with. Brass molds actually like to run cooler, but it's harder to get them to that temperature. Get it on a hot plate for a while. Cast as fast as you can. When you get to where they are casting ok, throttle way back. Turn the pot temp down, slow way down. That brass holds heat like crazy, and if you get it too hot, all you can do is set it down for a while.

As for the gas check shanks, a snug fit is great. Chances are things will change slightly when you get good castings too. This is just one of the things you have to be mindful of if you coat. In this case you have a couple options. The first is you could put the checks on before coating. The other is to use a gas check expander.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast