Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot an unfired Vintage Colt Python?

Boolit Buddy

Would you shoot an unfired Vintage Colt Python?

Like the title states, gimme your .02 on shooting a never fired 1979 4" Royal blue Python.

For me, since I have one in the safe, I think about making it my primary wheelgun. I love the size of it; I have 4 k-frames and a N-frame, and a couple small revos, so I have an appreciation of different sizes. I love 38/357; I find it plenty for any pistol/carbine application - pretty much anything from 1 to 100 yds. I handload for pistol, and rifle from 9mm to 30-06, and lots in between, but I really enjoy casting and loading and shooting 38 the most.

I used to shoot/own a 6" python and traded it back to my father long ago. What stops me from from using the '79 is its value - I turned down $2200 for it about 5 years ago, I got no idea what they are going for now.

I carry (when I carry - not all the time) a S&W 15-3 in a Hunter Field leather holster on a cartridge belt for my daily forest dog run. I cringe at the thought of carrying the Python like that, but then I think about it just sitting in the safe, and I believe that guns were made to be used. And 38spl will do everything I want, I find no need for 357. The Model 15 4" is IMO an ideal open carry gun, its not like I NEED to carry or even shoot the Python. But man, its a thing of beauty in both form and function.

Would you shoot it? Carry it? Or just appreciate it as a thing of beauty and fondle it once a year?

Always a tough call, as you are experiencing. It's really entirely up to you, and your values. If it is truly pristine, any shooting and carrying it will reduce the value to that of a used one. As the Python is in production again, and arguably in a somewhat improved version, you could likely sell your original and purchase a new model and feel less guilty about using it. But you should also consider that guns are made to be used, and despite their resale value being lessened by use, they have a value to the user/owner that can't really be calculated beyond self-satisfaction.

Were it mine, I think that I would sell it as-is and buy a new stainless version. They won't make any more of exactly what you've got, and a Colt collector would really treasure it; while at the same time you would have a new Python to use for carrying and shooting. But, that's just me, and only you can decide. Individual likes and tastes are very....well,...individual! Personally, I had friends with Pythons "back in the day" but never liked them as well as the 6" S&W Mod. 19.

DG
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 01-29-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have the same feelings for three revolvers I have. A two- inch Colt Special Agent a S&W Model 29 and a 4-inch Colt Diamondback. The best carry gun I ever had was a S&W three- inch model 15 with a square butt. I traded that one. I never saw another.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Rich man's pleasure.
    Any guns I own, I shoot, if they're shootable.

Boolit Master
    Sell it and buy a new one you won't feel bad about shooting.

A gun you can't shoot is a pointless paperweight.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

My test would be, if you died tomorrow, would you be angrier that you didn't get your money out of it, or angrier you did not spend time shooting it?
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Buddy
    “Were it mine, I think that I would sell it as-is and buy a new stainless version.”

My thoughts exactly. You could probably buy 2 new ones with the proceeds, a 3”, and a 4” or 6”.

If I had something else that would do what’s needed, I would probably sell it and buy something else I’d shoot. But that’s another one that only you can answer.

Vendor Sponsor

43 years and it's still unfired? I would carry on the tradition! There are always shooters to be had, value for the unfired Python will continue to escalate. I would NOT shoot it, or turn it for that matter.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    43 years and it's still unfired? I would carry on the tradition! There are always shooters to be had, value for the unfired Python will continue to escalate. I would NOT shoot it, or turn it for that matter.
    Me too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Six rounds would peel about a grand off the value of the gun. That's about 166 2/3 bucks a shot. You do what you want: it's your revolver. If it were mine, I'd sell it and buy either a new model, or a shooter grade classic one. I have two, both shooters.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    The correct and intelligent answer....or maybe wise answer is a better way to put it.

If I was wealthy, and did not care about the value of it, I would shoot it. I only know a handful of people that wealthy.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Probably a $5000 gun now. Let it be.

As pretty as it has the possibility to be, bluing ain't a great finish for a working firearm, especially in light of what we can make or coat guns with now. As such, we are probably NEVER going to see the like of the work Colt put into finishing a Python again.

We need a few of those pristine examples scattered around the world to remind us of what we used to be.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I’d shoot it and never give it a thought. Is this your 401k? Sounds like the guy who puts seat covers in his car so the next guy has nice seats.

Boolit Buddy
    I shot my new 6" from 1980 until the S&W 686 came out . Lots! It was a $380 gun back then. About twice the price of a S&W 19.
    I bought a 6" 686 ($210) when they became available and retired the python.
    If it were mine I'd look for a 586/686 to shoot and put the python in the safe. If it ain't eating groceries.

Bill

I do not acquire guns as an investment or to collect. I am a shooter, so I would shoot it. I find it strange that the OP asked the question. Doesn't he know why he acquired the revolver?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Add my vote to the "sell it and buy a shooter" opinion.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy
    Tolerate no virgins!!!

Boolit Master

Everyone spends his money as he pleases as far as I am concerned. But as for me, I will not own a gun that I do not intend to shoot. I have sold more than one gun because it was too "pretty to shoot" or was a "collector piece". Just my way and not binding on anyone, james

Do what you want but do not carry it. If anything happens, it will disappear into the system. Carry your Smith
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast