RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Someone needs to enlighten this guy about safe bullet casting

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Again if I had his experience I'd definitely try to tell people to be safe.
    But yeah I know hay I'm just the 20 something year old kid of the forum what do I know.
    If you still believe he is "experienced" I really don't know what to tell you.

Dverna is correct that "the man lacks knowledge, wisdom and common sense....at least on this topic." You don't need "experience" to tell people to be safe particularly when the claimed issue was from poor range hygiene under much different circumstances. Spreading misinformation and outright BS helps no one.

As to being younger with limited experience people on this forum have a long traditional of bending over backwards to help people learn and increase their abilities. People not willing to learn not so much.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-31-2022 at 12:47 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    There is a constant effort to make people afraid to do and be around just about everything to keep people scared so they will follow the establishment in any thing they are told. Lead is probably one of the leading things to terrorize people with like the previous post where a so called television star told someone to not even touch a lead pipe because of the danger. It was when I was young where we were supposed to be afraid of lead paint and kids eating it. Anyone who is even a little responsible has enough sense to not let them do it. In a typical house at that time, where would they even get a chip of paint to eat. Way more likely for a little one to get some of the drugs or alcohol some idiots were using but they never talked about that.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Old Caster View Post
    There is a constant effort to make people afraid to do and be around just about everything to keep people scared so they will follow the establishment in any thing they are told. Lead is probably one of the leading things to terrorize people with like the previous post where a so called television star told someone to not even touch a lead pipe because of the danger. It was when I was young where we were supposed to be afraid of lead paint and kids eating it. Anyone who is even a little responsible has enough sense to not let them do it. In a typical house at that time, where would they even get a chip of paint to eat. Way more likely for a little one to get some of the drugs or alcohol some idiots were using but they never talked about that.
    Very true. Most of these same people are totally unaware that they may still be drinking out of lead pipe water supplies. It normally is not much of an issue UNTIL the PH levels are not properly managed as they were not in Flint, MI.

https://www.nrdc.org/lead-pipes-wide...ed-every-state

Last thing the shooting sports needs is supposedly pro-gun people spreading misinformation. We have enough enemies without these types giving aid and comfort to our enemies.

I did a refinance on my house awhile back. The appraiser spotted a single bar of lead in my machine shop and flat told me he could have my house condemned unless I had a Hazardous waste team do a cleanup. I stated he was incorrect. At that point he got lippy. I went on to explained I do have significate training and experience on heavy metal contaminate provided by Uncle Sam. I have also overseen Federal Contractors doing Cadmium cleanups in a couple of shops I took over. After I explained that he was making an invalid threat and we need to stop and run it up his chain of command. Seems he didn't want to do that as he muttered something about he really needed to keep his job and maybe it wasn't an issue after all. The appraisal came in high. Funny how that works.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-31-2022 at 03:34 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I did like his exhaust fan set up. He was a bit heavy on the preaching though.
    I think back when I was a kid shooting pellet guns, I used to hold pellets in my mouth.
    I don't do that anymore.
    I don't worry too much about lead poisoning, I just keep my casting area ventilated and wash my hands after casting.

Was pretty sure most folks knew I was 20 something and honestly some people just plain learn better from videos. I know I do ,it's just plain how I'm wired. I have honestly sat down with the Lyman manual and a note book for a few nights read and took notes but it just doesn't click as well as being able to watch and listen.
    And it's not just my generation theirs tons of older folks who find videos better for learning then reading on a forum. And how to evaluate? Common sense of course. Like I've stead a few time already most people watching these videos do have the common sense to go " yeah mabye that's a bit much or hay that does makes sense if yadda yadda yadda" most people will watch a few different guys and go " well he said this but he doesn't do that and he's fine and so those that guy ,so mabye I can ease up on this"
    But yeah I know hay I'm just the 20 something year old kid of the forum what do I know.
    You have experienced casters telling you that the information he is giving is false, but you wish to argue with those experienced casters on the validity of his information. Just because he is old, and speaks from the chest, does not mean he knows what he is talking about. His video is pure fear mongering BS and needs to be deleted, period. With that being said, no one here said he couldn't cast a good bullet. For all I know he can bottom pour a bunch of long heavy bullets to +/- .1, but I don't care, because he is doing EVERYONE a dis-service.

Boolit Grand Master

Was pretty sure most folks knew I was 20 something and honestly some people just plain learn better from videos. I know I do ,it's just plain how I'm wired. I have honestly sat down with the Lyman manual and a note book for a few nights read and took notes but it just doesn't click as well as being able to watch and listen.
    And it's not just my generation theirs tons of older folks who find videos better for learning then reading on a forum. And how to evaluate? Common sense of course. Like I've stead a few time already most people watching these videos do have the common sense to go " yeah mabye that's a bit much or hay that does makes sense if yadda yadda yadda" most people will watch a few different guys and go " well he said this but he doesn't do that and he's fine and so those that guy ,so mabye I can ease up on this"
    It's an unfortunate thing that anyone not in the age group actively looking at retirement, or already there are the only ones who know anything apparently. I believe I'm either a year older or younger than you, and I get this all the time. Not so much here on castboolits.

The problem with this guys video is he is perceived as being experienced, because he is up there in years. In reality he hasn't hardly ever cast bullets. I don't think I've heard exactly, but it appears he has only been casting a year or so. Unfortunately he doesn't know, what he doesn't know. I don't subscribe to a "right" way either, but very little of that video is truthful. I figured this would be obvious, but maybe not. He's wrong right off the bat, you can't absorb lead through your skin. That's just dumb, and I hope he reads this. How many thousands of people are out there right now with lead bullets INSIDE their bodies. They don't remove bullets because it causes more damage, and because your body can not absorb solid lead. This guy had a range with lead dust all over the floor. That's how he got lead in him.

Then the mask thing, if he didn't flat out lie, he again doesn't know what he doesn't know. He talks about having a mask fitted. A "fit test" is not like trying on shoes. It is where someone checks the seal against your face by use of strong smell. If you have any kind of facial hair beyond a small moustache, you automatically fail the test. This is an OSHA thing. Instead, a more reasonable thing is a test is to bock the exhaust, breath out. Then the intake, and breath in. If it seals, your good. If you have facial hair, Vaseline can help, but according to this guy, you can't cast bullets.

Ultimately it boils down to this for me. The guy owned an indoor range that was not adequate, and he probably got other people poisoned because of it. He admits the entire place was covered in lead dust... AND THEN HE SHOWS HOW HE MOVED HIS CASTING INDOORS. He shows this little salad bowl for a vent. Are you kidding me? Forget the rest, this guy doesn't understand what ventilation is. He didn't have it in his range, and he doesn't have it on his casting bench. He blames ladle casting for blocking his vent, then proceeds to stick his hand into the vent to use a bottom pour.

I have to stop now. The guy seems like a nice guy, but he is so ignorant it is unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fowler View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjJFRbcAjz4

While some of what he says is common sense, he's getting bad info about contracting lead poisoning.
    Why I rarely go to boobtube first for anything. Too many people that think they know what they are doing but dont.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It's an unfortunate thing that anyone not in the age group actively looking at retirement, or already there are the only ones who know anything apparently. I believe I'm either a year older or younger than you, and I get this all the time. Not so much here on castboolits.

The problem with this guys video is he is perceived as being experienced, because he is up there in years. In reality he hasn't hardly ever cast bullets. I don't think I've heard exactly, but it appears he has only been casting a year or so. Unfortunately he doesn't know, what he doesn't know. I don't subscribe to a "right" way either, but very little of that video is truthful. I figured this would be obvious, but maybe not. He's wrong right off the bat, you can't absorb lead through your skin. That's just dumb, and I hope he reads this. How many thousands of people are out there right now with lead bullets INSIDE their bodies. They don't remove bullets because it causes more damage, and because your body can not absorb solid lead. This guy had a range with lead dust all over the floor. That's how he got lead in him.

Then the mask thing, if he didn't flat out lie, he again doesn't know what he doesn't know. He talks about having a mask fitted. A "fit test" is not like trying on shoes. It is where someone checks the seal against your face by use of strong smell. If you have any kind of facial hair beyond a small moustache, you automatically fail the test. This is an OSHA thing. Instead, a more reasonable thing is a test is to bock the exhaust, breath out. Then the intake, and breath in. If it seals, your good. If you have facial hair, Vaseline can help, but according to this guy, you can't cast bullets.

Ultimately it boils down to this for me. The guy owned an indoor range that was not adequate, and he probably got other people poisoned because of it. He admits the entire place was covered in lead dust... AND THEN HE SHOWS HOW HE MOVED HIS CASTING INDOORS. He shows this little salad bowl for a vent. Are you kidding me? Forget the rest, this guy doesn't understand what ventilation is. He didn't have it in his range, and he doesn't have it on his casting bench. He blames ladle casting for blocking his vent, then proceeds to stick his hand into the vent to use a bottom pour.

I have to stop now. The guy seems like a nice guy, but he is so ignorant it is unbelievable.
    Plus 1 on everything you said! Kinda what I was trying to say in my post! You just did it a lot more eloquently!

Lol
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post

I agree with everything you stated with the exception of the item in bold in your quote "In reality he hasn't hardly ever cast bullets. I don't think I've heard exactly, but it appears he has only been casting a year or so. Unfortunately he doesn't know, what he doesn't know."

I would be surprised if he has been casting for a year. All of his entry level equipment looks new or almost new. My guess is that Wolfdog91 has far more actual cast experience than this clown.

What he does have is 139K subscribers and advertisements at the front end of his videos. That means at level his he is getting paid. "Although YouTube doesn’t say how much its video creators earn, online reports suggest that for every 1,000 views, YouTubers earn anywhere from $0.25 to $7".

Why is that important? Too keep his numbers up he has to continually post new videos. When you have someone like GunBlue490 that is total unaware of what he doesn't know and apparently has no shame you get junk like what he posts. He has a lot of videos posted about subjects that he clear has a very very limited knowledge base. Some are worse than the one under discussion. I made the mistake of watching 1/2 dozen or so of them. That is time I will never get back.

I do find it interesting that on his bench of entry level equipment he has a Bench Source Annealing Machine. Definitely not entry level. My guess is that will be the subject of a soon to be released video. Just what I want to see is a video of how to anneal from someone that that probably has never annealed as case in his life but was likely motived to purchase an annealing machine for the sole purpose of enriching himself thru his videos on a subject that he likely has zero knowledge.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-31-2022 at 04:06 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Higher than safe levels of lead can be dangerous. I once had a very bad abnormal exposure and almost ended up in the hospital. They wanted to admit me, but I refused. I stayed away from it for a while and in went down fairly fast. I definitely think about ingesting the minimum possible. I only cast outside with the wind blowing the fumes away from me. I bought a respirator and used it once. I wouldn’t cast in my house no matter what. Besides the fumes, you have spatter from your pot that normally drips. Lead gets everywhere. The tinsel fairy strike too. Maybe casting in a garage would work.

Lead can be dangerous and it’s up to everyone to decide what level of safety precautions works for them. It’s not a bad idea to get tested for it once a year. I do and usually come up with an amount similar to those who work with it and is supposed to be safe.

I disagree with him saying a bottom pour pot is best. That’s what I have, but know a lot of people who use a ladle and wouldn’t do it any other way. There should also be a big metal tray under the pot.

I must say I have enjoyed watching a lot of his videos and think he usually knows what he is talking about and I have learned things from him.

Boolit Grand Master

Per the man himself

GunBlue490
    139K subscribers
    Retired veteran police firearms instructor and sniper instructor, expert marksman, ballistics expert, armorer, big game hunter, varmint shooter, and sportsmaner

His lack of self-awareness isn't holding back his ego and his ego is only surpassed by his ignorance. Unlike GunBlue490 at least Phineas Taylor Barnum was good at what he did.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-31-2022 at 08:03 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Well, don’t ask me why but I just watched his video on cartridge selection for self-defense purposes. Besides being extremely long winded (it took him an hour to say something that could have been accomplished in 15 minutes ) it was chock-full of half-truths combined with total misinformation. For instance according to him there’s no such thing as hydrostatic shock and energy has nothing to do with the bullets stopping power, 99% of all police officers are unable to shoot a 357 magnum and 40 smith and Wesson was the best handgun cartridge ever invented.
    In addition to this video I also skim through the videos he had on how to set up a Lee classic turret press. I can tell you from experience the way he set up a sizing dye goes against what Lee tells you to do in your instruction manuals and if you follow his directions you’ll wind up with cartridges ( depending on caliber) that will not pass a cartridge gauge test!
    To make a long story short his YouTube videos are certainly not ones I will be subscribing to.
    Truly a legend in his own mind. That’s my opinion for what it’s worth
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

I just watched a few of his other videos. Some are atrocious, even worse than the casting video. I couldn't even finish his shotgun patterning one. Some are decent. I liked his thing on the M1A/M1 rear sight. I'm not sure how some feel about bedding as a fix for a rear sight, but it definitely works, and he does a good video on how the rear sight works, and how to tighten up a loose one with bedding.

He's definitely an old rifle shooter. Probably been reloading for a while. Probably a decent enough hunter. Doesn't know squat about shotguns or bullet casting.

Boolit Grand Master

I may have spoken too soon. I took apart the rear sight on my M1A to get a good look at what was what. I installed a new rack as the original was horrendous. The oversized NM rack needed almost no fitting, showing how loose my sight base is, but that's ok. Side to side has no appreciable slop anymore. Up and down was quite sloppy. Thankfully it appears GunBlue490 was once again full of it. The dust cover pushes down on the top of the rack, eliminating slop up and down. So I guess none of his videos are worth anything.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve found that a lot of YouTube channels start out really good, with someone who really knows the topic. Then they more or less run out of subjects they know well. They start branching out into things they know less and less about, to try and keep growing their subscriber base. There are a lot I would wait for their next video to come out and today I rarely watch them at all.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’ve found that a lot of YouTube channels start out really good, with someone who really knows the topic. Then they more or less run out of subjects they know well. They start branching out into things they know less and less about, to try and keep growing their subscriber base. There are a lot I would wait for their next video to come out and today I rarely watch them at all.
    That is an astute observation. They are driven by "greed" eventually and the content is secondary.

I watched a few on powder coating when PCing first came out, and if there is something specific where I need a visual. But I do not follow any You Tuber.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I watched about 1 min. Of that video and that was all I could stand.

Boolit Bub

Not a criticism

Lol that's what I'm trying to figure out,the way people here jump on YouTubers every time there must be a RIGHT WAY.

The right way should involve proper safety. Eg.:heat regulation to minimize fumes, clean & dust with a damp rag (NEVER OVER A MOLTEN POT) to avoid stirring up possible lead dust. Shoot outside when possible etc.

Well he's casting indoors I'm casting out doors you can easily think " hay ya know I don't really need an exaust fan because I'm not indoors but I'm young and I want my lungs to last a long time so mabye a half mask respirator wouldn't hurt!"
    When we have to weld on galvanized pieces we will typically weld outdoors & put a fan behind the welder to blow the smoke plume away. We will also wear a mask respirator (typically they do not catch the fumes, just the dust from grinding). If you are concerned about the fumes the respirator needs to be capable of capturing them. Maybe a fan behind you would be helpful as well.