Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Files

Boolit Bub
    This one is made from a piece of Walnut. I just drilled holes to match the handles of what I wanted to keep in the block.

File Rack by jakefromclemson, on Flickr

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Re-read my post #10 above.

That will answer your question.

banger
    Thank you, I did see that - I guess I don't understand the process. I will have to look that up when I get home.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Thank you, I did see that - I guess I don't understand the process. I will have to look that up when I get home.

Really simple. Check out Amazon. They used to sell this thing at Horrible Freight. You run the tool in and out of whichever hole function you want to perform. I use it to mag and then demag tools I use around clocks and watches, so the tool has to be totally demag'd for certain functions.

Look for wire soap dishes with closely spaced wires without crossbars. Some can be used upright, others must be turned over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	295951

Name:	file2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	295952

Name:	file3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	295953

Name:	file4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	295954

Bruce

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Really simple. Check out Amazon. They used to sell this thing at Horrible Freight. You run the tool in and out of whichever hole function you want to perform. I use it to mag and then demag tools I use around clocks and watches, so the tool has to be totally demag'd for certain functions.
    Thank you, I had seen that. I have one on order.

Boolit Master
    I made something a few days back and i would like to show it to you all but i can't post pictures. If anyone would let me text them to you that knows how to post them I would appreciate it.

Boolit Master
    The only times I worry about my files is when assembling a new rifle and need one or two large very fine files to draw file the barrel flats to remove machining marks. I use sidewalk chalk to rub in the file teeth to prevent galling. I usually discard them once I am done with the barrel.
    John

Boolit Grand Master

A new file dosnt cut its best until its made some strokes to even the teeth and work in. A good file will give a finish with most sandpapers when used correctly and worn in.
    On each lathe I keep a 10" long cut file with handle for breaking edges and use. On the mill is a 6" fine single cut. The grinder has a couple fine india stones. The vertical cut off saw has a 10" medium cut file there. Then there are the files dedicated to a certain job. One that comes to mind is the 14" single cut used to sharpen and balance lawn mower blades.

Then there are the various shapes and sizes for general use, along with jewelers files die riffles and odds and ends. There are sme specials that have th edges ground flat at an angle for tiling and fitting dovetails.

In another drawer cabinet is an assortment of polishing sticks in various sizes grits and shapes. these are a stone with softer bond grit that are very good for polishing with a light oil or kerosene they break down fast making a slurry that polishes fast and even. the other plus to the fast break down is they match quickly to polish in flutes and radius's.

Over the years a selection of files grows and expands becoming extensive

If youve never used the long cut style files give one a try draw filing they give a great finish and chips that rival a mills thy just roll an curl off thats clean and crisp.

when we used to cut logs in the forests of western Oregon we would sharpen our saw files by soaking them in vinegar for a day or two... clean them well soak then wash with very hot water and coat with a quick light coat of light spray on oil... they cut better than new...

Boolit Master
    I have seen this done at the shop that grinds my carbide saw blades. But had no idea vinegar would work, I had assumed it was some type of much stronger acid.

Boolit Master
    I soaked my jewelers files in vinegar overnight.
    Then lightly bead blasted them.
    They now cut like almost new.
    It released all the built up fine material like brass and copper shavings.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    I have seen this done at the shop that grinds my carbide saw blades. But had no idea vinegar would work, I had assumed it was some type of much stronger acid.
    A sharpening shop typically uses nitric acid as it works much faster. But for us the vinegar for a day or two is going to work...

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    I made something a few days back and i would like to show it to you all but i can't post pictures. If anyone would let me text them to you that knows how to post them I would appreciate it.
    I'd be interested, if you want to send me a PM, I'll send you my cell phone number or email address, whichever works best for you.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I would really enjoy hearing about member's methods for degaussing any tools! But especially files.
    Even "stainless" will magnetize after enough use, and it is a large pain.
    Here are some pictures of what I previously posted and use. It is a motor from a small refrigerator fan or such. Stripped off the parts that aren't needed, cut an air gap, and wired it to a standard two prong power cord.

The air gap is important as it prevents the unit from quickly over heating. Used a c-clamp to hold the lamination's together and cut with a hacksaw. Cleaned up the sharp edges and such.

Plugged directly into the wall it is really too strong. So using a variac knock the voltage down to the 80 - 90 volt range is about right.

Place the piece/tool to be demagnetized through the opening. Move the piece slowly when inserting and removing it.

Name:	Demagnetizer_3133a.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	296196 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Demagnetizer_3134a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	296197

45_Colt