Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anybody made a brass catcher?

Anybody made a brass catcher?

Just wondered if anybody had made and used one. I tried a tropical fish net, rubber banded to grip. Didn't work all that good. Bounced out about 1/3 of the time. I may just get a good sized tarp.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

Got any kids? Only takes a couple minutes to make, but a few years before their coordination is good enough…

When we had a place in the country, I'd scalp down the grass around the shooting bench, and blow away the clippings.
    Rifle brass became much easier to find.

For pistol shooting away from the bench, since it scattered out all over-
    I'd mow it down real well, and spread out a big painter's drop cloth.

At the public range, I had a shallow cardboard box standing up beside me with the open end facing the ejection port.
    What it didn't catch stayed pretty close.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I used a big rectangle leaf net (Lowe's or Home Despot) for my swimming pool to catch everything. The handle sticks in an old music stand frame and is height adjustable. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I used a big rectangle leaf net (Lowe's or Home Despot) for my swimming pool to catch everything. The handle sticks in an old music stand frame and is height adjustable. Works great.
    Now, I like that!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Now, I like that!
    And I add 4ea) 2# dumbbell weight down on the stand shaft to handle breezes and winds! Then it will not tip over.

Boolit Master
    Made a pvc hoop and zipped tied a old sheet to it in the shape of an Y. Put a five-gallon bucket under it.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I made on using 1/2" pvc pipe and a old laundry bag, Worked pretty good for 45 auto and others,
    Didnt do so well with the AR. Picked up a brass catcher on Flea bay and attached it to the AR and it works great. Has a zipper on the bottom and works great for emptying.

Boolit Master
    Hang your ball cap over the vertical scope cap (or red dot or whatever) with the brim side over the action. Catches darn near all of them, and stacks the rest by your lead foot.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I took a camping mosquito net and attached it to a frame made from 1x2s. It catches most everything.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Used a old army mosquito net and saved me a lot of bending over to catch 45acp brass. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Mine are made up free standing. Like the NRA bullseye pistol shooters use the frame and slide are 1/4" round aluminum, the upright staff on the base is 3/8 od aluminum tube.A 1/4" compression tee ties the 1/4" round stock together and makes a swivel joint for the frame. The net I used was a net wash bag for dedicates. The base is 1/4" thick aluminum plate 8" X 12"A rubber furniture tip is used on the staff to provide tension for height adjustment.

They work very well and add nothing to the firearm. When set up right they catch 99% of the cases.

Boolit Mold
    After trying to make one from a butterfly net, I bought the Caldwell net that goes on a tripod. 2 years ago it was $30. I think now it's up to $56.

Boolit Grand Master

My son and daughter worked well as brass collectors .... with gloves my son would catch them .

A fishing net , set up at just the right angle , worked . Used a bungee cord , wrapped around the net handle and secured to the post next to me ... have to position it just right but if the net is large enough ... it worked pretty good . If you don't have a post ... My son in law set up an old camera tripod ... the tri-pod held the net and allowed adjustment , up and down and once you got it in the right place would net most of the empties ! He was shooting a rifle ... I was handgun shooting .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Here ya go from an old link. Even mine is in there.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Brass-Catcher

Boolit Buddy
    Cheap WallyWorld fishnet + ring of copper tubing + net potato sack + couple wire ties + wood base large enough to set ammo can on.
    Spotter to move catcher in eject path.
    About $15 for the whole thing, Uugly but effective. Gets lots of "howd you makeit??"

Boolit Master
    I shoot under an umbrella when sitting on a bench.

Boolit Master
    I use a mesh tarp on the ground, it doesn't blow over because it's mesh.
    You can stake it or put rocks on it to hold it in place.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/8-ft-x...arp-60577.html
    jmo,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    I misunderstood the OP's post.
    I am the proud father of some serious baseball studs - so have the associated equipment of course (I mean - why else would I own a Can Cannon if not to teach them how to field REALLY high fly balls??). But this definitely works for us to both catch brass and keep the house windows intact.

Check this out on Amazon
    FRANKTECH Golf Hitting Net Heavy Duty Golf Practice Net for Backyard Driving Golf Net with High Impact Chipping Hitting Target Golf Driving Practice Net Include Carry Bag Golf Balls for Indoor Outdoor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HMSX3ZB...CB0RCKDWEG9H35

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk