Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: RIP Patch

RIP Patch

Patch came into our lives a bit over four years ago. My partner, Anna, was looking for a cat to share her home with. We knew it would be a rescue cat, Anna's preference was for 5 years +, female (so she didn't have to put up with all the crap that comes with a tom), no ongoing medical or dietary issues, active and a personality she could engage with. After many weeks searching and visiting too many (from the point of view that they shouldn't be needed) rescue centres we ended up the Derby RSPCA centre. As I recall we had gone to see an animal Anna had seen on their website, but someone had already given her a home. Of the others one was aggressive and the others had dietary or behaviour problems Anna wasn't prepared to take on.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r28...w?usp=drivesdk

And then there was Patch, who ticked all the wrong boxes: he was male, 15 years old and had a heart murmur. But it was his character that negated all that. He looked us in the eyes and his manner was “I maybe 15 but I feel and act a lot younger “ , so he proved! On opening the door to his pen he jumped the 4 feet to the floor without hesitation and walked around examining us and the area . He didn't complain about being picked up, showing interest in his surroundings and responded to his name. Patch wasn't a stray or abandoned, his previous owner was forced to give him up as he had been made homeless. Patch had obviously been loved and cared for. I was taken by him and even considered having him myself if Anna didn't! Fortunately Patch convinced Anna he was the one for her and we reserved him. Two visits later we were taking him to his forever home. We were conscious that, because of his age, we might not have him long past a year but our feeling was he deserved a good life and would brighten our lives in repayment.

In the event Patch was with us nearly 5 years. He definitely had a personality and quickly settled in and accepted Anna .There was a period of adjustment on our part, he didn't like his feet or belly touching and, contrary to his behaviour in the kennels, didn't like strangers. He accepted me and Anna's son Andrew but anyone else came in the house and he was gone!

Patch had a few medical problems over the years but few you would expect from a cat his age, in fact he lived like he was half his age which caused us some worries that he would get into trouble or do himself an injury attempting something he was past being capable of. But last week he started having problems walking and wouldn't eat or drink. The vet said it might be heart disease and they kept him over the weekend to rehydrate him and get him eating, which he did. He came home Sunday night and Monday he was fit and like his usual self. Tuesday morning Anna was at work and she saw Patch, on a webcam, immobile on the floor. When she got home Patch was in his basket but one of his back legs was paralysed. That evening Anna called me, choking back tears to say she had an appointment with the vet in half an hour and I needed to be there to say goodbye. The diagnosis was bad, a blood clot had blocked the artery to his leg and it was now effectively dead. It was the end. The vet gave him a sedative to knock him out before the last injection and Anna and I were able to while he went under, even then Patch put up a fight, resisting the drug so much he had to be given a second dose. Then it really was goodbye.

Goodbye my friend. Rest in peace.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Grand Master
    I could not stop reading you story. I wanted to.

Have had to put down three dogs....it just sucks.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

You gave Patch a great 5 years. Take comfort knowing that he knew he was loved and dwell on the good times you had together.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I feel your loss. I’ve been in that situation myself too many times in my life. Two legs or four, you lost a family member. Be thankful for the time you had.

Boolit Master
    I feel your pain, lost my sweet boy, Teddy, in July. Had him since he was a kitten, but we had him for 15+yrs. He was a family pet by him & I had a special bond. I was the only one that could hold him. He was such a sweet boy, not a day goes by that I don't miss him.
    Sorry to hear about Patch, I know all too well how you feel.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Moderator Emeritus

What a heart string pull....we are so sorry for your loss as our four legged family members are family and to lose one can be as hard as losing a human family member. We are a cat and dog house and we get to work to keep them in way they want to be kept. But, they give us so much love and it is so unconditional. We live in the country so we get dropped off cats and dogs and my wife just cant say no.....RIP PATCH you were loved and will be missed!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I feel your loss. I’ve been in that situation myself too many times in my life. Two legs or four, you lost a family member. Be thankful for the time you had.
    (What my mind directed I would post could not be better stated than by NSB -- post #4! I am so sorry for your loss.
    g)

Boolit Master

So sorry.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    So sorry for your loss
    You gave him a great life and that means alot

Boolit Grand Master
    Putting down a beloved pet is the hardest thing I've had to do. Good for you for caring so much about your cat.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sorry for your loss, RIP Patch! Good on you for adopting an elderly pet. You gave him a comfortable safe home for his last years.

Moderator Emeritus

So sorry for your loss. You saved him from the shelter and look what he gave you. Think of the blessings.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    So sorry.

We have lost numerous cats (7 over the years) varying in age and one cockateel of 26+ years....that was the worst. With that many years as part of the family, it was extremely hard. He passed from old age in my hands one Sunday evening.

Our beloved pets are with us but for a few wonderful yet fleeting years. Their memories remain with us always.

bangerjim