Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: buying a new truck

Boolit Master

buying a new truck

anyone else been trying to buy a new truck. what a mess.
    that's what I decided to do rather than pay the prices used trucks are selling for.
    I ordered a new Silverado 3500 and the price was just a couple thousand more than what I could actually find a 2 or 3 year old one for.
    its been over two months now and they still can't tell me when it will be built or when I might expect delivery.
    I have heard all kinds of stories on the internet and on the news as to why things are so screwed up and just dont know what to believe anymore.
    the dealer was of course more than happy to take my deposit, but I respect them for not trying to give any excuses or reasons why its taking so long and they were honest in saying they can't tell me when to expect it. the crazy part of the whole thing is its pretty easy to find one for $85k but I dont want leather seats and so many gizmos that the dash seems like pinball game.

Boolit Master
    Back at the beginning of 2021,, my wife & I discussed me getting a new truck. My older (2014) Chevy Silverado had almost 350,000 miles,, and while still in very good shape,, necessitated me getting a new one for my work etc.
    Well, in March,, we started looking.
    We started the internet searching,, and then went to a dealer who advertised as having more trucks than others. Nothing on the lot fit my needs,, and the selection wasn't much anyway.
    We discussed the order option, and were told, "No guarantees & it may take 6 months or more."
    My wife & I decided to go with a more local dealer,, with whom we'd had a fair dealing with in the past.
    We were told "Ordering will be your best option, but no guarantees as to when it'll be available." Apparently,, the "chips" needed to operate things were not available. And our local dealer was quite helpful, honest & upfront about everything. He wrote up my order,, didn't ask for a deposit as he had no concrete answers as to "when" etc.
    That was mid April.
    I'd check with him every other week, the day after his allotment order date passed.
    NADA.
    Finally, in early June,, I'd checked with him on a Friday,, nada,, then on Saturday,, late day,,, he found me a truck, at a dealership NE of Richmond Va. It fit the parameters of my order. No dealer to dealer transfer was available. By the time I got the message, it was too late to contact them, they were closed on Sunday,, and on Monday,, they opened at 8 am. I was talking to the GM at 8:02 am. Put a deposit on the truck, made arrangements for my wife & I to drive 7 hours ONE WAY,, to get the truck.
    On Wednesday,, we made the LONG drive,, the truck was as needed,, and we bought it.

All went well,, except I was a bit miffed at them offering a military discount,, yet,, not for Veterans. Yet,, if I'd been an active duty flunky at a volunteer fire dept, I could have gotten the discount. I guess the way they advertised it,, and what was "acceptable" didn't align. A flunky office volunteer for a FD could get it,, but a combat vet,, past 2 years out,, could not.

One thing I did experience,, was the way the dealership screwed me a little. I needed a 3rd key,, and they said; "We'll get you a 3rd key, but we'll have to mail it to you." They did that. HOWEVER,,, they failed to mention it would need to be programed,, and when I pushed a bit,, they said; "We supplied you a key." To which I replied; "Websters Dictionary doesn't describe what you sent as a key,,, because it fails to operate as a key." Round & round we went. PIZZ poor attitude from Tappahannock Chevrolet, Richmond Va.
    I'd never recommend them to anybody,, because they KNEW it would cost me over $100 to get the key programed,, and they wouldn't even discuss it between dealerships (my local & them,) about making this right. It was basically; "we sold you a truck & now you are on your own."

Well,, my local dealership,, I went back to them,, to THANK my salesman for finding me the truck I needed. HE DIDN'T MAKE A DIME OFF ME,, yet he helped me. When I told him of my experience with Tappahannock,, and how crappy I'd been treated,, he got my key programed by them,, and it didn't cost me a cent.
    I tipped my salesman locally,, at Boyd's Chevrolet in Hendersonville NC for such excellent service,, $100.

It wasn't the money so much as the principal of what was promised.

Beyond that,, apparently,, the computer chip shortage is WHY nobody can get certain models of certain vehicles. And it's not just Chevrolet. It's Ford & Dodge too. Yet,, I see more new jap crap cars available,, and especially the micro, battery operated cars which seem to get the bulk of the chips.

Good luck with your order.

I've heard that many truck & SUV's are built,, awaiting chips,, yet are "sitting" & not delivered. I've also heard that mice & rats have been working on the wiring harnesses of these sitting vehicles too. Be aware,,,!

I thought about getting an old square body Chevy or GMC, but THOSE prices are extremely high as well. I eventually bought an '84 C20 that needs work. I figure I will keep maintaining my 2003 GMC. The auto manufacturers can sit and spin on it.
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net

Boolit Master

Most of the computer chips are made in Taiwan. China is now threatening them. Just wait until war breaks out and chip production is ended one way or the other.

At least I know my "Jap Crap" 4Runner will be going strong for decades while the new Chevy garbage is worn out in a few short years and there won't be any chips available to get them running again.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Far too much technology in new vehicles for my preference. Really only need a comfortable seat, AC and Heat. AM/FM radio is okay but not necessary. The fancy things are just crazy.

Idaho how many miles on your 4runner? I have 249,XXX on mine. Still uses no extra oil.

Boolit Grand Master

I am planning on purchasing a 2022 K1500 4x4 with the 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel but due to the chip shortage they currently are not even in production. My 2002 Chev has 265,000 miles on it and has a host of electrical issues. I cannot locate a parasitic battery drain so if it's going to set for more than 8 hours I disconnect the battery and never leave home without my jump pack. The passenger heated seat is stuck on high. Engine and drive train are still good but not much else. It is also rusting out severely. It's at the of it's useful life span so I have limited options.

Used trucks in this are at a minimum 50% over pre-shortage prices.

Never thought I wanted or would own a diesel but I have two buddies that have them in the 2021 model. Both are two-wheel drive and highway milage is running 31 to 34 mpg.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-25-2022 at 12:38 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I have a 2019 Toyota Tundra bought new 1/19. I have 30,000 miles on it. The selling dealer has recently offered me more than I paid for it. Fine, but what do I do then? New trucks are priced way high. No thanks, I’m happy with what I have.

Boolit Master

My wife keeps telling me that we need to sell our 1997 F350 with 7.2 Diesel - because it's worth 50% more than I paid for it on the used market. I told here the Truck runs well, can make it back and forth between Moapa Nevada and Kalispell Montana without problem, and all I need it for is some of those runs, wood hauling, and to haul the horses should we need to. She keeps advocating replacing it; but I do not want to spend as much as $90K on a Truck that is not even on the Lot Yet.

Oh well; as we get more mature (young ones start calling us old man/woman) we seem to get set in ur ways and the newest and greatest does not interest many of us anymore. Works and Paid for seems to be satisfactory.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    The car market in general, and truck market particularly, is currently insane. I am in the market, but have decided to wait a year. I'm hoping that my 18 year-old 4-Runner will last that long, but I simply refuse to be raped by these bandits. The local Toyota dealer flat out LIED to me when I went shopping there, and I will not do business with them ever. Another Toyota dealer is tacking a $15,000 premium onto 2022 Tundras coming in - and selling them all. But not to me.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Super Moderator

.......... I bought a new Ford Ranger 4x2 nicely equipped, but not way top of the line and am very happy with it. However being a child of the 50's I'm always comparing the price of stuff to when I was a kid. That new pickup cost $20,000 more then what my folks paid for their brand new house (and the lots were LARGE in those days) in 1953. To be precise, the house was $9,999.00

............... Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    One of our trucks is a 2016 F150. I paid $19k in 2019 with 134k miles. 159k on it now

The “wizardry” started to act up on it about a month ago. First, it would not connect to the cell phone, then the screen for the back up camera started to act up. This weekend the radio would not work and the whole Sync system died. Today the camera and radio worked. Looks like a failing board....but afraid what it will cost to get it fixed.

I wish they would make a simple model without all this tech junk. I can live without it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I just ordered a new car. The dealer told me 4-6 months. We shopped at five different dealers, none of them would deal on price, and none seemed to care if we bought one. The dealer didn’t even want a down payment. He said “if you back out, I’ll sell it to someone else the day it comes in.”

I plan to drive my 1979 F250 till they take my license. I put a Cummins Diesel engine in it about 15 years ago. It’s bearly broke in at 350000 miles.
    Last edited by jimlj; 01-24-2022 at 11:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I am planning on purchasing a 2022 K1500 4x4 with the 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel but due to the chip shortage they currently are not even in production. My 2002 Chev has 265,000 on it had has a host of electrical issues. I cannot locate a parasitic battery drain so if it's going to set for more than 8 hours I disconnect the battery and never leave home without my jump pack. The passenger heated seat is stuck on high. Engine and drive train are still good but not much else. It is also rusting out severely. It's at the of it's useful life span so I have limited options.

Used trucks in this are at a minimum 50% over pre-shortage prices.

Never thought I wanted or would own a diesel but I have two buddies that have them in the 2021 model. Both are two-wheel drive and highway milage is running 31 to 34 mpg.
    if heated seat is stuck on.... it could be a relay .... or you could unplug the heated seat wire
    check your owners manual

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    if heated seat is stuck on.... it could be a relay .... or you could unplug the heated seat wire
    check your owners manual
    Agreed but there is more to the story. I started feeling poorly at the end of my annual two-week ND goose hunt. I drove 560 miles feeling very much under the under the weather on Dec 31st. Dec 31st is also my wedding anniversary. I tested positive on the 1st.

Things went downhill fast and I spent 10 days in the hospital. Currently I am at home but still on oxygen. I have only been dressed twice this year. Once for the ambulance ride to the hospital and once for the ride home. It's mostly been below zero or below here. Other than that I have not been out of the house or my bathrobe this year. I am planning on getting dressed tomorrow to take the trash out. That is 100-yard walk one way. I am having the wife watch me and if necessary she will get me with the car and portable oxygen. First part of Dec I killed a scale weighed 189-pound field dressed whitetail with the muzzleloader. Dragging it close to a 1/2 mile across rough terrain was not a problem. Today rolling a wheeled garage can 100 yards may be too much.

This one kicked my butt. For a while I didn't think I was going to make it due to pneumonia and dehydration.

Back to the truck the seat issue did not start until the morning of the 31st so I have not worked the issue. It made for a very warm ride for my passenger. The parasitic drain started when I was hunting. I didn't have much for tools but I did pull each fuse in total darkness hoping to see a spark but I could not detect a short. When I get to feeling better I will put a meter on it but it's still rusting out, tires are almost shot and lots of other issues so I am just hoping to limp it along until I can find a 2022 3.0 diesel for close to list price.

We built our house in 2004. When I was in ND the furnace went out so the wife had it replaced. I consider myself very lucky since they actually had the furnace in stock that I wanted. The whole house humidifier plastic fell apart with the furnace change. They were on back order most places so it was not available at the time of the furnace install. I am hoping to have the energy to replace that tomorrow. Taking the garbage can out and installing may be more than I can do in a day, but I am getting better every day and a full recovery is expected. Oxygen and dry air is killing my sinuses and I really do need to get the whole house humidifier back up. The washer also is started having major balance issues when I was in ND so that is a must to work when I have the energy. I would prefer just to replace it but the ones we want are all out of stock. Dealing with the truck is a secondary issue right now.

My dad who still lives alone turned 99 on the Jan. 23rd. I had planned on going back for his B-day and have a party but that was not possible.

2022 has not started well for me.

Let's go Brandon!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-25-2022 at 09:00 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 3584ELK View Post
    I thought about getting an old square body Chevy or GMC, but THOSE prices are extremely high as well. I eventually bought an '84 C20 that needs work. I figure I will keep maintaining my 2003 GMC. The auto manufacturers can sit and spin on it.
    I started looking for a pre computer 4x4 truck. Wow. People think either they have prized collector items or something. Everything has just gotten unbelievable.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I started looking for a pre computer 4x4 truck. Wow. People think either they have prized collector items or something. Everything has just gotten unbelievable.
    Bandon's new world..............

Let's go Brandon!!!!!!

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I think I'll just keep driving the one I have now. No computer chips to go bad. The only accessory's on it are an AM radio and a spotlight. So far I've had no trouble with them. Like the energizer bunny, at 76 years old, it just keeps going and going.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Washington run 001.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	295197
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    That is gorgeous! I love old iron!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post

Idaho how many miles on your 4runner? I have 249,XXX on mine. Still uses no extra oil.
    Mine's a baby with only 30k miles. Not even broken in yet. I have taken it on some of the most brutal trails in the country and it is still quiet and rattle-free.

My last vehicle, a 2005 Yukon, rattled and squeaked driving around town with under 100k miles on it. Transmission was starting to go and little things were starting to fail every couple of weeks.

But, one weakness of my 4Runner is the rear hatch paint. I have rust spots showing. 3 years old. None of my previous vehicles driven in the same area for longer times, has had any issues. And the rust spots are only on the rear hatch. So I think that body part was prepped incorrectly.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I sold my 69 Ford pickup a few years ago for $1000. I had put a 302 engine in it and drove it 39 years. When I bought it, it was 6 years old. I paid a $1000 for it and I sold it for a $1000. You could trouble shoot any problem in five minutes or less. I drove it across the country four times. I think I could get a great deal more for that truck now.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast