RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: WC 846 Lot SA-LC 20521-109

Boolit Master

WC 846 Lot SA-LC 20521-109

Anyone using this powder in .308 and/or .30-06? Heard it even works in .223.

I have inherited like 10 pounds of it.

Magnum primer needed as I have discovered using some surplus designed for .30-06 Garand loads?

Temperature sensitive?
    Last edited by Rattlesnake Charlie; 01-22-2022 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Listed 879 when should have been 846

Boolit Bub
    Hi, I have been using in in a AR 10 .308. 39 to 40 grains with 165/168 J word. Cycles good, accuracy is good (Lilja Custom barrel)
    I have been using it in a .222 Rem Mag which has about 5% more capacity than a .223. 26.5 grains with 55 grain Ballistic tip.
    Shoots lights out at 100 yards in a Model 54 .30-30 with 34 grains and a 125 grain Ballistic tip (sub moa).
    All loads above were with a standard primer. I have not noticed too much temperature sensitivity.
    My lot number is: 18C-094694. It was bought from Bartlett reloading. his web site says BL C 2 data could be used but was too hot. All the above loads were used with Accurate 2460 data. I dont think its a good choice for the Garand because its not really in that sweetspot for good operation of the gas system. I have seen data for 06, but I believe it was for lighter J word boolits. I have not used it in the 06.
    I did some research and there is 2 sets of BLC-2 data. Hodgon switched suppliers at one point, I believe in the early 1980's.
    There is a flash suppressant in it so its a little "sticky" in the RCBS chargemaster. I have burned about 7 pounds of it and Im happy with it. Price was right. Hope this helps

Boolit Master

Thanks ScotMc

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure about what lots I had/have, but have run 20 plus pounds through 7.62 NATO and .30-06 M2 ball equivalent loads. Standard primers in 7.62, for .30-06 I use magnum or CCI military equivalent primers in white box (sorry, can't remember number off hand), if standard primers are used in larger cases you will get hang fires, and duds, had this happen not only in '06 but 8mm Mauser, and 7.62x54r Russian.
    All jugs I have had for WC846 recommended BLV-2 start data REDUCED by 10%. Being a ball powder it meters like water and is great to work with, although if using LEE drum type measures they need to be lubed with powder graphite, and well seated to prevent leakage and binding, but this can happen with other measures as well, in the end I went back to my LEE auto-drum as it worked way better than my Lyman 55, and my brothers RCBS.
    Function in mine, and my son's Garands has been right on par with IMR4895, accuracy has been more than acceptable with bulk FMJ's and M25 tracers.
    I am down to about 4 pounds, hope to find more to stock up again. And yes, it does work well in 5.56/.223 but I prefer WC844 for my bulk 5.56 loads.

Boolit Master

I'm a few days late checking in on this thread but knew that my jug of WC846 was a different Lot #. I actually have never used any of it so had to dig to the bottom of the powder stash. My lot # is 49948. Completely different from the OP's lot #. I got it from Jeff Bartlett about 15 years ago.
    If I decide to try it out, I'll have to find a starting load and work up unless someone has the same lot and a safe load. Not sure right now just what I might try it in. The above post suggests Garand or 5.56/.223. I would never have thought .223 but I've also got a lot of AA2520 that some suggest for .223.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

I bought some same Lot, from Jeff Bartlett in 2013 (marked on Jug)
    WC 846 Lot SA-LC 20521-109
    also marked on Jug "use BL-C2" data.

I only loaded this powder in 223/556 with 55gr FMJ.
    I settled with 25.2gr as most accurate load (1MOA), Standard primers.
    Sorry I don't have any chrono info.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    I've got several hundred pounds of it and load just about everything with it. I use BL C2 data as a starting point. I've got a K 98 that I load for that loves it. 48 grains behind 170 gr Hot Cor spitzers with Winchester large rifles in Remington brass. Cloverleaf 5 shot groups at 100 yds all day.

I have used it in a 308. The lot I have is reduced 10% using blc2 data. It turned my 308 into a flame thrower.
    Dave