Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Federal .30 Super Carry

Boolit Bub
    Interesting discussion! Makes me want to go look for a 32-20 wheelgun!

Boolit Master

Guys actually shooting samples at SHOT Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_c1Pp2JUI

1. It kicks just like a 9mm
    2. It holds 12 instead of 10
    3. The smaller diameter case opens up possibilities of using different sized frames/grips than the current 9mm size requires.

My two cents: #3 is the most interesting idea. I could see marketing a new pistol with a grip designed for women, slimmer, but with adequate magazine capacity.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 01-23-2022 at 03:32 PM.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

It would be easy for me to start loading for it, as I already have a bunch of suitable projectiles and powder. If I ever come across a pistol chambered in this round for a decent price, I may buy it, just because I kind of like to shoot odd-ball guns/cartridges. But there's no way this thing catches on.

Boolit Master
    What is needed is a small frame revolver with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights that doesn't throw unobtanium brass into the weeds. GF

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    What is needed is a small frame revolver with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights that doesn't throw unobtanium brass into the weeds. GF
    Here you go:

https://ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5444.html
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    As dverna posted, the LCRx 3" has been out for I'd guess 8 years by now. The only shame is they failed to ever release it in 327 federal. For that you can get the 3" SP101 which has been around for decades, and was the original 327 federal gun. S&W also released their J frame as a 3" in 327 federal. It sure would be sweet to be able to use these guns to shoot this new 30 super carry, but too late now.

Boolit Master
    I've got one of those 327FM J frames, and it's a great carry gun!

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    As dverna posted, the LCRx 3" has been out for I'd guess 8 years by now. The only shame is they failed to ever release it in 327 federal. For that you can get the 3" SP101 which has been around for decades, and was the original 327 federal gun. S&W also released their J frame as a 3" in 327 federal. It sure would be sweet to be able to use these guns to shoot this new 30 super carry, but too late now.
    It makes no sense that Ruger didn't come out with the 3" but came out with the snubby .327 LCR. The .327 is going to be better suited for that longer barrel, even if it is only 3".

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    The history of firearms development is filled with quests to find the answers to questions:

1200 AD: Q: My enemies need more terror in their lives! How do I achieve this? A: CANNONS!

1600: Q: How do I not blow up my powder horn with this smoking slow match? A: Invent the flintlock.

1830: Q: How do I get rid of this annoying whiff!. . .bang! delay? A: Invent percussion caps.

1836: Q: How do I not get myself overwhelmed by superior numbers? A: Invent the revolver.

1850: Q: How do I not get shot while I stand up to load this thing? A: Invent an efficient breechloader.

1860: Q: That 1836 question hasn't been answered all that well. . . A: Invent the repeating rifle.

1860: Q: Ammo wet! Rifle no bang! Soldier not happy! Pencil-necks fix! Ugh! A: BRASS CARTRIDGES!

1882: Q: My lead bullets get cold in the winter! A: Put a jacket on them!

1884: Q: Still really not happy with the choices for dealing with that nagging 1836 problem. . . A: Hiram Maxim, For Those About to Rock, We Salute You!

1886: Q: I'm worried about my bullets getting lung cancer. . . A: SMOKELESS powder!

1890: Q: Do we have any other problems left? A: Messrs. Mauser and Browning would like a word. . .

2020: Q: All those geniuses didn't leave us any problems to solve! How do we get people to keep giving us money? A: Summon the ghost of P.T. Barnum to convince them that all the questions we spent the last 800 years answering haven't been answered.
    Bravo!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I'm not really sure that chamber pressure is an indication of the level of muzzle blast. Two of the more ear-splitting cartridges I've ever fired out of handguns is the .22 WMR and the 32-20, both relatively low pressure cartridges. Elemer Keith, in SIXGUNS specifically mentions the loud report of the 32-20.

35W
    32-20 ain't nothing to 30 Carbine or .327.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    I’m not at all convinced that it won’t chamber in a 32 S&W or 32 S&W Long revolver.
    The diameter of this at the base is listed as 0.3425”.
    That’s not much larger than some sloppy chambers I’ve seen.
    A determined idiot could press-fit one in there, I’m guessing.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not really sure that chamber pressure is an indication of the level of muzzle blast. Two of the more ear-splitting cartridges I've ever fired out of handguns is the .22 WMR and the 32-20, both relatively low pressure cartridges. Elemer Keith, in SIXGUNS specifically mentions the loud report of the 32-20.

35W
    I'll go ahead and add that I have lit off RCBS 32-98SWC in 32-20 at 1,195 fps using 10gr 2400 (Over Published Max!) out of my Uberti clone and you definitely would not enjoy that without ear pro.

Is anyone making an AR platform for this do all, end all new cartridge? Asking for a friend of course.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Is anyone making an AR platform for this do all, end all new cartridge? Asking for a friend of course.

Murphy
    What AREN'T they making an AR for? They seem to have forgotten how to make anything else.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

35W
    From what I understand, it's not. The chamber pressure in the 30 SC drops significantly before the bullet leaves the barrel, so muzzle blast isn't an issue. From what I've seen and heard from people who have actually shot the round, its recoil and muzzle blast is pretty much indistinguishable from a 9mm.

looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I've a SW 9mm m&p ez. the only thing that I don't like about the gun is that it is a 8 plus 1 capacity. My little Kimber micro 9 has 6, 7 or 8 round mags so I have same 8 plus 1 in a smaller, less controllable gun. this round gives the ez 10plus 1. 20%more rounds. performance slightly less than a 9mm. Good tradeoff if you just really want to go with a new round but that is only gain. and ammo will be 50% more expensive

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I will stick with 32 H&R and 327 Mag instead the 327 can reach 9mm or H&R nearly so but not a good mtn revolver caliber.

Boolit Master
    So what does this do that a 7.62x25 won't? A 30 cal 85gr hp at 1500+ should be pretty effective. Sounds like they are going backwards. I personally prefer the 45acp but if you want velocity the Tok round has got it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    So what does this do that a 7.62x25 won't? A 30 cal 85gr hp at 1500+ should be pretty effective. Sounds like they are going backwards. I personally prefer the 45acp but if you want velocity the Tok round has got it.
    It fits in an American handgun for one. A 7.62x25 won't even fit in a 1911. The 30 Super Carry can fit in sub-compacts.

Boolit Master
    It seems very stupid to me .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123