Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heating the Lubesizer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JH3855 View Post
    Probably the cheapest and most efficient way to regulate the precise flow of hard lubes is to purchase a reptile lamp from any pet store. They often come with a large alligator clip arrangement that allows for precise positioning of the lamp to adjust the heat. Some models feature a built in temperature control. The only drawback? You may have to keep your python or gecko near the clothes dryer vent during the time you are lubing bullets.
    If you live in Florida and have a python, just take it to the Everglades and release it. One more won't make much difference. Then you can lube at your leisure.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

I just use the temperature setting on the iron, and if things start getting too hot, I pick it up and set it on its foot for a few minutes. Low/warm usually does the job.

Money will buy you any number of better heating options. You want cheap, you got to pay attention.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

The iron I got at GoodWill was not the best choice. The lowest setting gets too hot too quick. The first time I used it, lube started oozing out around the die. Now I don't start size/lube until I guess that it is warm enough(about 2-3 min.) then I set the iron aside on its' base. The copper plate holds enough heat to last for about a 30 minute session.

Can't argue with the price though.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I use a Goodwill iron, too. For a low-tech solution to the problem replace your copper with a 1/8"x6"x12" piece of aluminum. Copper is a very good heat conductor and your piece is pretty small. I set the iron on its lowest setting and regulate the temperature by the distance between the iron and the lube sizer; usually at the back of the aluminum plate once it has warmed up.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I use a Goodwill iron, too. For a low-tech solution to the problem replace your copper with a 1/8"x6"x12" piece of aluminum. Copper is a very good heat conductor and your piece is pretty small. I set the iron on its lowest setting and regulate the temperature by the distance between the iron and the lube sizer; usually at the back of the aluminum plate once it has warmed up.
    This is a good point. My mount is a piece of .135 steel that I have screwed to my bench and then drilled and tapped to mount a variety of equipment. I set the iron back several inches from the base of the press. This is probably a lot less “efficient” at conducting heat than the OP's copper.

And I still have to watch it. I use my thumb to gauge when to lift the iron by touching the lube reservoir. It isn’t long before you develop the touch.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master

I don't have enough room for a larger piece of metal(aluminum) and really don't want a hot piece of aluminum spread out on either side of the iron. Also it would defeat the goal of keeping it as cheap as possible. I already had a long piece of scrap copper I grabbed out of the scrap truck before I retired.

imashooter2 suggested what is the best way for me to use what I have. Just have to educate my thumb.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    If you live in Florida and have a python, just take it to the Everglades and release it. One more won't make much difference. Then you can lube at your leisure.
    This sounded like a great idea...until I realized 'snake oil' is the secret ingredient in my prize winning lube. Such a disaster in Florida!

I, too, use a light dimmer to control the temp of my Lyman made heater. Without the dimmer it puts out too much heat. The heater was made for the 450 sizer and I have the 45 so the factory bolt holes don't line up. Rather than re-drilling and tapping the heater I elongated one of the holes in the lube sizer. I didn't want to accidently drill into a heating element. Works fine now. Without it I couldn't get Carnauba Red to flow. Now I can.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    I use a hairdryer, set on low blow aim at the bottom of my 4500, and it helps to keep my hands warm., naw' just lay it on its side.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've got a RCBS LAM2 and have used a light bulb if I needed heat.
    You went and complicated the process. It ain't "elegant". It's cheap, easy, and gets the job done in an uncomplicated way. Ten minutes (say) of lamp heat to start, depending on wattage. Periodically, two minutes, three maybe, to warm the Sizer as the lube viscosity decreases. You get in a rhythm. Or, you can consume funds in the pursuit of CONTROL.

I can't wrap my head around the HEAT SINK effect, using an iron on a metal plate, that wastes energy heating the top of the bench along with the Sizer's metal parts, though some of the machined part heater photos above are quite elegant. I possess no such machining skills.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 03-25-2022 at 07:13 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Probably 40 years ago purchased a magnetic engine block heater at a hardware we had nearby. Heats the Lyman and takes car of the whatever vehicle needs started on those below 10 mornings when I certainly will not be pulling an orange arm down.
    Used to see them in yard sales but have not been to one in at least 5 years now.
    My heat control is pull the plug.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    This works great for controlling the heat on a lube sizer or turning a freezer into a fridge. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boolit Master

And then there's the cheap, redneck way.

Orygun Mark built me a nice sizer heater years ago. Works good yet. Before that I used a 3# coffee can with a 75 watt light bulb in it with a side cut out for a heater. Worked good and heated fairly quick. Had a switch that I used to cut it off when it got to running good. On when it started to cool. Be sure to back off on the pressure when heating as the Lyman 450s have been known to expand and crack while heating./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    You went and complicated the process. It ain't "elegant". It's cheap, easy, and gets the job done in an uncomplicated way. Ten minutes (say) of lamp heat to start, depending on wattage. Periodically, two minutes, three maybe, to warm the Sizer as the lube viscosity decreases. You get in a rhythm. Or, you can consume funds in the pursuit of CONTROL.

I can't wrap my head around the HEAT SINK effect, using an iron on a metal plate, that wastes energy heating the top of the bench along with the Sizer's metal parts, though some of the machined part heater photos above are quite elegant. I possess no such machining skills.
    The light bulb is fine for heating a lube sizer, but don’t pretend it is somehow efficient. Metal is a great conductor of heat. Air is not. And wood bench tops don’t heat much either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LYMAN 45 LUBESIZER.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	298382

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    The clothes irons have a learning curve. The dimmer switch might be a good way to try to tame the temp down...like that idea.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

Whether 40W or 75W, a bare light bulb under a towel is only slower imparting heat to the lube sizer's metal body compared to a 300W to 1500W (range) electric iron at its 300W setting. Which is "more efficient"? IDK.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 03-31-2022 at 05:25 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Attachment 298401Attachment 298402Attachment 298403
    Here is the rig I put together. It is a 1/4" dia. 100 watt cartridge heater, plenty by the way, and it slides into the hole I drilled into the base of the 3/8" thick aluminum plate. The wire is in 1/2" pvc pipe and the dimmer is in the electrical box at the other end of the pipe. After the first trial run to get the feel for the temp, I marked the dimmer dial with a sharpie. Makes Carnauba Red a piece of cake to use. I already had the 4" wide piece of aluminum but I've got less than $15 in the rest of it.
    Last edited by murf205; 03-31-2022 at 01:29 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, I read all of this, thought about the cost, not just in cash, but in time and aggravation, then this “learning curve” of which you speak. My new RCBS LAM Heater just got here from Midway at a cost of less than $80 delivered. Works for me… YMMV!
    "It aint easy being green!"