Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two old friends going down the road

Boolit Buddy
    IDK, it really is a very personal feel/function deal. I still have the Vega SS frame/slide 1911 I cobbled together as a youth [late 1970's]. My Colt 1911 SS gold cup is a joy to shoot. I really like my custom Kimber late 1980's 3" job to show off & it SHOOTS !. I've played around w a couple of Glocks. Last one, was a tricked out suppressed model. Really fast & cool, I outshot the kid that owned it ... Expensive thou. As for Modern Stuff .. Meh, I'm fond of the Walther PPQm5 my buddy has two & they handle very nicely & I shoot them well. Way better than my S&W custom shop 40 with a 3.5" barrel. UncleMikeinCt

Boolit Buddy
    PS: My two Favs are my first 4" Colt Python 1970's vintage [Sold off long ago,big regret] . & Now I show off w an SS 629 5" classic [w/ the Python Like underlug] 44Mag. revolver. That gun really handles & shoots nicely. Funny story about that one, I wanted it at first sight. Felt like the action was full of sand. The dealer sent it back to S&W, I forgot about it. A couple of months later I walk in the same shop & there it is. Fully tuned, tricked out still new in the box. It was mine out the door w a box of ammo & the sales tax $825.00 bucks. I was a happy man.
    Last edited by unclemikeinct; 02-06-2022 at 05:19 AM. Reason: add to

Boolit Buddy

I think it was Jeff Cooper that said "plastic is for squirt guns"

I love 1911's, and shoot revolvers mostly now that I'm old. (don't have to pick up brass)

But I have a Glock 23 on my nightstand.

Boolit Buddy
    You won't see a Glock in a picture like this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	296016

but...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog ate glock.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	296015

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    45Dude,

I had no use for Glocks having come up through Bullseye where 1911's ruled the roost. I had both a .38 and .45 Clark...just amazing accuracy. It would be tough for a Glock to shoot a 20 yard group as small as a Clark at 50 yards.

I bought my first Glock (G22) for ****s and giggles to see what the hype was all about. NEVER expected to switch platforms as I was heavily invested in 1911's. Things I liked about the Glock:

It works
    It is simple.
    It is easy to fix if it does not work.
    It has no safety
    I holds twice the rounds of a 1911. No need to carry a spare mag.
    By buying a 9mm barrel and mags I can switch the G22 from .40 to 9mm in less than 5 minutes. Can do that for .357 Sig but I do not shoot .357 Sig.

I have heard some folks raised on 1911's cannot shoot Glocks well. I did not experience that. Yes, the 1911's I had were higher end and had great triggers, and I shot better with the 1911's but not that much better. Does is really matter if you are putting 2" groups on CM at 10 yards or 3" groups?

If I were you, I would buy an LEO trade-in G22. Add about $100 for a 9mm barrel and some mags and you are set to go to try the platform out without a large investment and you can get all your money out if you do not like it. That will let you try both .40 and 9mm and see what works best for you.

It took me about 500 rounds to get used to the "mushy" Glock trigger. There are aftermarket kits to improve the Glock trigger and for a competition gun that is something to consider. Buy a spare set if you do that. The gentleman who uses his Glock for work told me a sad story. One of his friends put an after market trigger kit into his G22 and it failed during a gun fight. His buddy died when the trigger failed.
    Pretty much the same here, except for the bullseye part (silhouette for me.)

I was always (and still am) a revolver guy, considered the 1911 the only acceptable auto and own a couple plus a 3rd gen Smith (still don’t get the big deal).

Then I bought a dirt-cheap G22. It was OK, but I swapped it for a Security Six. Then bought an unissued LEO G35.

The Glock trigger never gave me any grief, I find it easier manipulate than trying to sneak up on a 1911 trigger. Despite small hands, I like the grip, there’s plenty of meat to hang on to.

If I had to pick an auto from my safe for SD, it would be the Glock, and not really for capacity.

Boolit Master
    The Glocks are very good pistols but they have one issue I can't deal with. When I draw it to pointed in, it is not pointed where I'm looking. Not so much a problem with the gun as it is with me being more used to a 1911. I had an early G21 and shot it quite a bit and it worked great. I was issued a G22 in corrections and shot it quite a bit but it had the same issue. I have a Ballister Molina 1911 style that I have had for 40+ years that hits where I'm looking without using sights to about 15yds. It will run any thing I have tried in it including 200gr swc loaded backwards for bulleye shooting. Makes really clean holes in paper.

About 6 years ago my wife bought an XDs in 45 and decided she liked her 9mm better so I started shooting it. The XDs turned out to be a natural pointer for me as well and being a lot smaller than a 1911 it has become my CC pistol. It also runs everything I have tried in it. I can't imagine needing more that 8 rds in a defense shooting but I do carry a spare 7 rd mag.

I can't knock the Glocks as they are very good pistols but they don't fit me well.