WidenersLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .45-70 reload deer

Boolit Mold
    I load a Lyman 457406 GCHP over 42 grs. of 3031 sized .459 in my Marlin 1895 with micro-groove rifling. Very accurate and powerful. The bullet as loaded weighs 440 grs. and ends up with a flat point as I use a flat nose punch when sizing and lubricating. The guide who skinned my 200 lb. black bear in New Brunswick had told me to always hit them at least twice and I did as I was told. He said the insides looked like a train wreck lengthwise through the body and the second shot wasn't necessary! My favorite hunting load but recoil is definitely noticeable. I wouldn't trade it for the world! The stated weight for the 457406 without the HP is 485 grs. so the HP hole is substantial. I sure would have liked to find one of them!

Boolit Buddy
    thank you for the infomation. i always guess at my fps.

That load is a sweet one for 350-400 grain bullets.
    In a 13 pound Sharps there is about zero recoil, great accuracy beyond 100 yards and will kill about anything it hits.
    Out of a 34" barrel it's surprisingly quiet as well.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Quote Originally Posted by Jal5 View Post
    Nice job. What’s recoil like for that load? I’m planning on working up a Lee 405 gr boolit using Unique in the Spring. Shooting a Handirifle
    Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sure wish I had known about the capability of Unique in reduced charges 20 yrs ago when I first started my adventures with 45/70's. I was on the other end of the velocity spectrum with loads approaching 2k fps--in a Handi Rifle no less! No wonder I had to have a shoulder replacement. Thankfully, I learned that a good cast boolit will penetrate for ever at sane speeds. My 45/70 Marlin CB is actually comfortable to shoot now.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123