MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Lee 312-160-2r 308 30'06 7.62x39

Boolit Mold

Lee 312-160-2r 308 30'06 7.62x39

Hello all A few days ago I ordered a Lee 312-160-2r mold then I found this site and realize I should have gotten the 155 but will try to work with what I have from reading the stickys.I am new to bullet casting and would rather not do to much expierimenting.
    If I understand right I can load 3006 1903 springfield plainbase with 13 grains of red dot without the gas check. do they need to be sized?

SKS and AK 5 grains of red dot Does that cycle fine?,assuming plain base ?

I also have a 308 enfield and a hk g3 308 are there any good recommended loads for this without gas checks?Do the bullets need to be sized?

If there was a more better powder load for all these say using 2400 I could do that I just use red dot for everything else I have.

What size and sizer do you recommend if I need one?

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by G309 View Post
    Hello all A few days ago I ordered a Lee 312-160-2r mold then I found this site and realize I should have gotten the 155 but will try to work with what I have from reading the stickys.I am new to bullet casting and would rather not do to much expierimenting.
    If I understand right I can load 3006 1903 springfield plainbase with 13 grains of red dot without the gas check. do they need to be sized?

SKS and AK 5 grains of red dot Does that cycle fine?,assuming plain base ?

I also have a 308 enfield and a hk g3 308 are there any good recommended loads for this without gas checks?Do the bullets need to be sized?

If there was a more better powder load for all these say using 2400 I could do that I just use red dot for everything else I have. Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie.
    The 312-160 is also a good one, But to answer some of your questions .

With 13 grs or RD you'll need a gas check no way around that!You can go checkless with prob. 8-9 gr max.

5 gr of Red Dot will not cycle an AK or SKS.

some decent loads I have shot checkless in the 308 Enfield I had were 7 gr of RD ,Bullseye or W231. 8-9 grs of Unique also shot well. None of those will cycle that HK

Size to whatever your particular rifle needs.

Red Dot is a decent cast boolit powder but as all of them has their limitations ,IMO 2400 is a bit more flexible for what it sounds like you'll be doing with it. but regardless you'll still need gas checks for loads powerful enough to function semiauto actions with that boolit.

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Mold
    Looks like I will definetely be going gas checks then, I would not want to use a load that wouldn't cycle the gun.Do you size the bullets with the gas checks on?

Quote Originally Posted by G309 View Post
    Looks like I will definetely be going gas checks then, I would not want to use a load that wouldn't cycle the gun.Do you size the bullets with the gas checks on?
    Yes

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

G309,
    Look at the "sticky: at the top of this page for the Bruce B article on shooting cast in the M1A. Very enlightening. Oh ya, welcome to the forum. Keep reading and asking questions and we will get you up to speed on cast shooting.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Mold
    If I got this right from the other articles I've read so far.I still need to get a

freechex 2 for making gas checks assuming it is better than the freechex1

and a 311 sizing die kit from lee for the the enfield 308, hk 308 and the 1903 4 groove 3006 from what info I could gather from the the sticky on the 308 m1a.

And a separate sizing kit for the ak and sks a 312 ?To bad the 311 wouldn't work I could just do them all at 1 time.

Also I have the dies for everything accept for the 7.62x39 does anyone have any recommendations will the lee rgb 2 piece set work? should I get the factory crimp die set?

does anyone recommend the lee universal decapping die?

Thanks in advance,I don't want to end up buying something I don't need.G309
    Last edited by G309; 01-20-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Boolit Mold
    i too am interested in the x39 loads. doing some research as i too am new so i am keeping track of this one.

In Remembrance

G309, the LEE Universal Decapping Die is something I wish I'd had decades ago. It sits in my press turret permanently, beside the LEE Universal Flaring Die. Two outstanding little niceties that make life easier for reloaders.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

G309, I have been using Lee rgb dies in 7.62x39 for years with j-words. My hornady 123gr j's group at 1.75 inches at 75 yards. I just made some ctl312-160-2r's and will be test firing them soon.