Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 vs .177

Boolit Master

I bought a used JSAR Raptor, the rifle has a .177 barrel with no choke suitable for slugs. The former owner tuned it for Nielsen 12.5 grain slugs.
    I bought Nielsen 15 grain hollow point slugs.
    I took it to the rifle range the bottle held 4500 psi. Set up the chronograph and posted a target at 100 yards. Bipod with rear sandbag, concrete bench with steel pipe legs poured into concrete slab.
    Velocity 980 fps, when velocity fell to 935 the rifle had fired 104 shots.
    I let my grandson and a couple of guys at the range fire some.
    I fired about 60 at the same aiming point in three sessions in between letting others shoot. The impact area was four or so inches low and the aiming point stayed crisp and visible.
    My group of 60 or so shots was about 1.75 inches was fired with changing light and wind conditions.

Hollow point expansion tests show slugs opening to .22 in water filled milk jugs at 40 yards. and almost like .177 wadcutter at 80 yards.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    Now I have the same question, I recently went over to the dark side and purchased a DAR PCP air rifle in 22cal, question is at what distance will a 15.89 gr pellet going 900fps penetrate a squirrels hide? I have limited experience ,but have shot at several squirrel at more that 35 yds that acted like they were hit but ran away like someone someone corncobbed and turpentined their butt.
    Keeping in mind the pellet's rainbow trajectory, at 900 fps I'd say you can kill any squirrel as far as you can RELIABLY hit the kill zone.
    I've killed uncountable squirrels in my yard with 14 grain pellets at between 600-700 fps.
    The RWS 54 that won't penetrate a squirrel skull at 25 yards probably needs some maintenance getting back into its true potential.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now I have the same question, I recently went over to the dark side and purchased a DAR PCP air rifle in 22cal, question is at what distance will a 15.89 gr pellet going 900fps penetrate a squirrels hide? I have limited experience ,but have shot at several squirrel at more that 35 yds that acted like they were hit but ran away like someone someone corncobbed and turpentined their butt.
    I read an article on this question. To kill a squirrel requires 9 for into the lethal area...about a 1” circle.

I will assume you are using the JSB 15.89. At a MV of 900 fps there is over 18 fpe at 50 yards. I use a 50 yard zero and maximum trajectory is .95” at 30 yards. At 60 yards I am 1.5” low.

It is likely you are not hitting the kill zone, as the pellet and gun are capable. Errors in range and wind drift are the usual culprits. BTW, if you misread the wind by 5 mph at 50 yards, it moves that pellet 1.8”.

I plan to hunt with my PCP’s this year but will limit my range to 50 yards.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I read an article on this question. To kill a squirrel requires 9 for into the lethal area...about a 1” circle.

I will assume you are using the JSB 15.89. At a MV of 900 fps there is over 18 fpe at 50 yards. I use a 50 yard zero and maximum trajectory is .95” at 30 yards. At 60 yards I am 1.5” low.

It is likely you are not hitting the kill zone, as the pellet and gun are capable. Errors in range and wind drift are the usual culprits. BTW, if you misread the wind by 5 mph at 50 yards, it moves that pellet 1.8”.

I plan to hunt with my PCP’s this year but will limit my range to 50 yards.
    I plan on going to 25cal as soon as the DAR becomes available, I understand perfectly about the kill zone and shot placement, question now is will the 25cal be a more effective killer provided the shot placement where it should be? There is a you tube video on killing hogs with a 25 with head shots, another of killing a coyote at 65yds with a 25 shot was behind front shoulder appeared to be a lung shot, coyote ran guide a distance. I just question if the videos are the normal performance one can expect, or once in a while maybe for advertising purposes only?…..

I haven’t given up on the 22 for squirrel hunting yet because I got the gun late in the season and have limited experience so far.

Boolit Grand Master
    I plan on going to 25cal as soon as the DAR becomes available, I understand perfectly about the kill zone and shot placement, question now is will the 25cal be a more effective killer provided the shot placement where it should be? There is a you tube video on killing hogs with a 25 with head shots, another of killing a coyote at 65yds with a 25 shot was behind front shoulder appeared to be a lung shot, coyote ran guide a distance. I just question if the videos are the normal performance one can expect, or once in a while maybe for advertising purposes only?…..

I haven’t given up on the 22 for squirrel hunting yet because I got the gun late in the season and have limited experience so far.
    The .25 will definitely hit harder and it will be less affected by wind drift. I suggest going to another forum...GateWay to Airguns, to get input from guys who are into airguns.

I only started getting serious about them last year and like I said have not hunted with then yet. Here is an article that may be of interest:

https://www.airgundepot.com/vault/ar...ng-guidelines/
    Don Verna

Ditto what Don said.
    I wouldn't shoot any hog with a .25 that isn't a powder burner. I know a .22LR will kill hogs. I've done it more than once, HOWEVER
    I highly suggest it NOT be done unless you don't plan to bring home meat. Years ago I may have went into some thick bush that a injured hog will head for. I'm a bit older and wiser now

Boolit Bub
    I have both, and have done quite a bit of testing with newer pellets. I think the .177 is great for squirrels, but anything bigger you still want to stay with the .22.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12