MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powder coating always a good idea?

Looking at the above, I don't doubt that the small group of UES (Unquestioned El Supremmo's)
    can/have worked absolute magic w/ conventional lube/bullet/loading techniques
    (Key word is "magic")

But I would venture that for 99-44/100th of the cast population, PC solves -- and
    solves very well -- an incredible number of challenges that might not otherwise
    be available to them.

(The art of "GoodEnough" is oft times the most difficult to acquire in all of human expedience)

Boolit Master
    Well, I got the same accuracy lubed and PC'd so I guess I am happy with it. Velocity with PC is not an issue. I can drive the bullets as fast as I want without leading. But, velocity with a 'fast' twist means accuracy drops off at a lower velocity, regardless of coating or lube.

I am really close to consistent MOA accuracy, with PC. Comparing to the CBA bench rest match results I am not that far off from lubed stuff. I also noticed a couple of competitors using PC now.

I know that others are more accurate with lubed, especially in dedicated cast rifles. Custom barrels, slower twist, etc. I am happy the way my factory rifle is performing. Sometimes I wonder if I would have better results with PC if I had a custom barrel made up for it, 1-12 or 1-14 twist, maybe in .30BR to optimize case capacity for 100 and 200yd targets.

Yes, Larry and others do really well with lubed. Truth is, if I had a good lubesizer I'd probably use conventional lubed bullets as well and never would have gone to PC. One of these days I may even buy one. But, for now I am still chasing that "MOA every group" goal with PC.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I think Ric is just trolling us.
    Well, yes and no. I did want to kick in people's brain cells to see what came out. So far I have found the conversation interesting. Just look at it as a cabin fever preventative!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123