Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tesla model S big boom

Boolit Buddy
    I sure hope they picked up their garbage, but judging from their intelligence level, they wouldn't. Bits of plastic and fiberglass everywhere.
    I guess Hillbillys come in all colors. Even with the batteries gone there is still some of salvageable metal.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    sounds like a BS story to me
    Looking at several videos, it was NOT a one man show. Quite the production and one has to wonder the cost of producing it? Having used more than a few pounds of dynamite, kinasticks etc over the years this was not cheap! But it was quite the show!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Out of curiosity I read up on automotive lithium battery recycling recently. There are two methods currently used. One is to incinerate the batteries in order to recover the metals other than lithium. The other is to dissolve the batteries in an acid and precipitate the metals out of the solution. Neither is environmentally friendly; quite the opposite.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Out of curiosity I read up on automotive lithium battery recycling recently. There are two methods currently used. One is to incinerate the batteries in order to recover the metals other than lithium. The other is to dissolve the batteries in an acid and precipitate the metals out of the solution. Neither is environmentally friendly; quite the opposite.
    Better do some more research on this subject. A company called Li-cycle with plants around the world and one here in WNY, is shredding these batteries and sorting out the material without the use of any chemicals and there is no environmental impact in their process. Here in NYS, you have to monitor air, water, sanitary sewers, and storm sewers for any chemical discharge. This company meets or exceeds all requirements for both state and federal emissions. As far as I know, they are the only company using this proprietary process and it’s quite cost effective. The biggest problem with batteries is getting them back into the recycling process after use. Most people simply drop them in the garbage when they’re done with them. Still, the company here in NYS is processing a huge amount of batteries and recycling the material in a cost effective manner and an environmentally effective manner. The problem isn’t going to be in recycling material, it’s going to be getting the material since most of it comes from overseas.
    https://li-cycle.com/news/li-cycle-a...ster-new-york/

Boolit Master

I watched the video and came away with the spoiled rich snot nose bought the car just to make the video and to have his day of fame and claim to glory , and yes what a mess that there is no way to clean up all the pieces as they only picked up the large ones .

I did not think of hillbillys I thought they just looked like the product of to much inbreeding and the need to pose for the cameras .

Boolit Buddy
    As we were driving east on a packed I-70 between thr Colorado border and Central Kansas we wondered what it would be like if there were all electric vehicles. With ranges of less than 300 miles, it would be a mess.

Today I spoke with my brother who manages an electrical cooperative in Nebraska. He was telling me a person in a small town wanted to put in a charging station and was shocked when she was told it would cost 50-60,000 dollars and she would have to pay for it. He said supplying the power isn't the problem but the demand is the big issue and then how to change for it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyRider View Post
    That Greta Thunberg girl would be verrry disappointed.
    Her dummy should have been in the passenger seat 🤣

Boolit Master

I think all you guys have covered most of the Good, The Bad and the Ugly of this topic. When you boil it down the second owner of these cars will be dunned for the battery replacement. The raw material is going to be choaking point because we don't have enough of them to keep the cars and trucks running and that brings up a nightmare with the trucks with giant sized batteries to deal with. And think about one of these trucks gets centerpunched by a train! I don't know which is worse, people that are ignorant of the downside of batteries or the people that skim over the problem and just want to get your money. I have been asking about who gets the bill for a long time and no one is listening.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerguy View Post
    As we were driving east on a packed I-70 between thr Colorado border and Central Kansas we wondered what it would be like if there were all electric vehicles. With ranges of less than 300 miles, it would be a mess.

Today I spoke with my brother who manages an electrical cooperative in Nebraska. He was telling me a person in a small town wanted to put in a charging station and was shocked when she was told it would cost 50-60,000 dollars and she would have to pay for it. He said supplying the power isn't the problem but the demand is the big issue and then how to change for it.
    yup a smart man would look ahead and buy a big truck with a huge battery that can charge cars dead on the road side because there will be a slew of them because there pumping out many cars with few places to charge. I can even see motels popping up on desolate roads for people who cant make the next town without a recharge or dont have 10 hours to wait in line to spend 3 more charging there car.

Boolit Master
    It was a used car.

The owner just had bad luck with the old battery. Boom!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Your son’s Prius is a hybrid gas/electric. It’s a completely different system than an all electric vehicle using Li batteries. I don’t think fossil fuel is sustainable forever. I don’t believe just jumping into all electric cars is the answer. We don’t have the raw material in this country to support Li batteries for the masses. I retired from GM as an engineer and I’m disappointed to see that GM is heading towards all electric vehicles as their long term business plan. People should be aware that just charging these things takes a while, about 1% per hour on a home circuit. You can buy super chargers for about a grand and that speeds them up somewhat. What happens when the whole town plugs in their all electric cars? Our grid can’t even support air conditioning in the summer in a lot of places. Where does all that electricity come from? Fossil fuels. That all alleged 300 mile range….what happens when you turn the heater or AC on? It goes to half. I could be wrong, but no one’s convinced me other wise. I just don’t see everyone, or even the majority, driving all electric cars.
    After thinking about it you are right. Big difference in demand on the battery so not a fair comparison. For the record, I do not think we are anywhere near along for a viable EV. There was a scientist who developed a battery based off of a virus if I remember correctly. Saw a show where he blew up a motorcycle using that battery. That had to be 20 years ago. Wonder if that was a case of being bought out and put on the shelf.

I would like to see at least someone looking into a standardized battery pack that could be swapped out in about the same time it takes to fill a tank. As far as electric vehicles, I can see their use in urban areas for short haul commuters. I don't see the infrastructure in place for rural areas for decades if ever.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

The best idea I saw was from a Dutch bus company, (if any of you saw the video or read the article and remember it better than I do, please chime in). They had a small diesel engine in the bus running at a constant 1,700 rpm. All four wheels had electric motors on them set up inside out, (?) so they would run the wheels and somehow generate power at the same time returning it to the battery and charging it along with the diesel engine. It said our military was interested in the idea for non-tactical trucks, (light pick-ups etc.) and that Dodge was in on the idea. This was probably around 2004 and I haven't read anything else on it.

Here's what Allison is working on, very much alike, but Allison has the electric motors in the transmission and inverters to go DC to AC or reverse. https://youtu.be/ogav_JUf0jQ
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    The best idea I saw was from a Dutch bus company, (if any of you saw the video or read the article and remember it better than I do, please chime in). They had a small diesel engine in the bus running at a constant 1,700 rpm. All four wheels had electric motors on them set up inside out, (?) so they would run the wheels and somehow generate power at the same time returning it to the battery and charging it along with the diesel engine. It said our military was interested in the idea for non-tactical trucks, (light pick-ups etc.) and that Dodge was in on the idea. This was probably around 2004 and I haven't read anything else on it.

Here's what Allison is working on, very much alike, but Allison has the electric motors in the transmission and inverters to go DC to AC or reverse. https://youtu.be/ogav_JUf0jQ
    Kind of like a diesel-electric locomotive?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post

All of the EVs I know of have regenerative braking. While it sounds all warm and fuzzy it is really not all that efficient in charging the battery.

Yep, used car, he got 1500km out of it till the battery SYSTEM failed. Key takeaway from this.... There is NO secondary market for an EV. The car is Junk at the end of the warranty. It might be a $30,000 vehicle new, but is worth NOTHING in 8 years.
    Oh, and it ain't 8 years bumper to bumper, you san still loose 30% of the battery capacity and still no replacement, and it is 120,000 or 150,000 not unlimited miles..... And outside of the drivetrain and battery, it is 2 to 4 years. Elon isnt warranting anything unlimited..
    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Handloader109; 12-28-2021 at 06:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Yep, used car, he got 1500km out of it till the battery SYSTEM failed. Key takeaway from this.... There is NO secondary market for an EV. The car is Junk at the end of the warranty. It might be a $30,000 vehicle new, but is worth NOTHING in 8 years.
    Oh, and it ain't 8 years bumper to bumper, you san still loose 30% of the battery capacity and still no replacement, and it is 120,000 or 150,000 not unlimited miles..... And outside of the drivetrain and battery, it is 2 to 4 years. Elon isnt warranting anything unlimited..
    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Pretty much nailed it. I believe this entire all electric vehicle thing is going to hit a brick wall in the not too distant future. Millions of dollars being pumped into the concept but the reality will set in pretty quickly. Inner city commuters (read people who don’t drive much at all) and the fringe “save everything” bunch are pushing this. The average rural and/or suburban drive won’t find much joy owning one. Road trip anyone?

Boolit Master
    I was reading about the electric cars and seems it's going to impact the electric utilities hard. California is talking about doing away with gasoline vehicles.And going all electric. Heck in the summer they have rolling blackouts now so will further burden their electrical system. Costs about 5k to have a charging system installed in your home. Batteries that have a finite life span and cost 22to 25k to replace. I'll keep driving my 2007 GMC Sierra till the wheels fall off.

Still all in all that 60 pounds of dynamite did do a number on that Tesla. You have to admit it. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    I was reading about the electric cars and seems it's going to impact the electric utilities hard. California is talking about doing away with gasoline vehicles.And going all electric. Heck in the summer they have rolling blackouts now so will further burden their electrical system. Costs about 5k to have a charging system installed in your home. Batteries that have a finite life span and cost 22to 25k to replace. I'll keep driving my 2007 GMC Sierra till the wheels fall off.

Still all in all that 60 pounds of dynamite did do a number on that Tesla. You have to admit it. Frank
    You will only keep driving your old car as long as the government allows it.

They will tax the emissions or raise the registration to where you cannot afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
    You will only keep driving your old car as long as the government allows it.

They will tax the emissions or raise the registration to where you cannot afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    When the auto industry starts to crash they’ll relent. Whoever is left selling both gas vehicles will see their sales going up fast. I think the auto industry is getting this all wrong, trying to figure out what will sell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast