Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tesla model S big boom

The money he's made from the views on that video, probably paid for a new tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
    You will only keep driving your old car as long as the government allows it.

They will tax the emissions or raise the registration to where you cannot afford it.
    probably accurate. living in MN I've been watching the constant surges my entire adult life by one political party - wanting to use NY and CA restrictions and taxes as their STARTING point for limiting what we can have here.

I've worked in the auto industry for over 30 years. I'm old fashioned, and like another poster said, I'll drive my gas vehicle until the doors fall off, or external factors kill it off.
    That said, this video makes me laugh every time...maybe some have seen it.
    https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...rcedes/3021121

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    I've worked in the auto industry for over 30 years. I'm old fashioned, and like another poster said, I'll drive my gas vehicle until the doors fall off, or external factors kill it off.
    That said, this video makes me laugh every time...maybe some have seen it.
    https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...rcedes/3021121
    Hilarious!

Ooo, just had an idea for a retirement job! Gonna get me a big ol' stinkin' diesel truck with a BIG ol' stinkin' diesel generator on the back, and cruise the highways as a Mobile Charging Station! For a fee, of course.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Yep, used car, he got 1500km out of it till the battery SYSTEM failed. Key takeaway from this.... There is NO secondary market for an EV. The car is Junk at the end of the warranty. It might be a $30,000 vehicle new, but is worth NOTHING in 8 years.
    Oh, and it ain't 8 years bumper to bumper, you san still loose 30% of the battery capacity and still no replacement, and it is 120,000 or 150,000 not unlimited miles..... And outside of the drivetrain and battery, it is 2 to 4 years. Elon isnt warranting anything unlimited..
    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    You are correct, as of February 2020 they ended the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty. The car now has zero appeal to me.

Yeah, say you have a 300 mile optimal range. after 2 years you are down 10%, now only 270. At 4 year mark you are down another 5%, so 250, at 6 years, 20% so 240, and at end of 8 years, just 29% loss. so you are down to 205 mile range at best case. WORTHLESS
    Look, I bought an almost new 2016 car last year that had 25,000 miles on it for 80% of new price. It is worth more at 40000 miles right now than then.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Handloader109; 12-29-2021 at 08:03 PM.

Boolit Master

The video just looks like a lot of grandstanding to me. Almost like it was the intent to begin with.

Boolit Master
    Dynamite was a Swedish invention, inventor was Alfred Nobel, (think "Nobel Prize"), The blast was definitely a stunt. It looked to me like ampho, (blasting compound) on the car, and they appeared to use electric caps to sequentially start det cord to set it off. Either one of those systems would have done it, but we wouldn't have had the pre blast light show. If you think in firearms terms, Ampho = H870 and Dynamite = black powder. As far as I know blasting compound is available anywhere in the world, although regulations do vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    There is a video of a very dissatisfied owner of a Tesla model S in Finland who after 1500 kilometers had problems with it. The shop quoted him a $22,000 bill to replace the batteries. So he decided to blow it up. They strapped a dummy with Elton Musks face in the drivers seat. Attached 66 pounds of dynamite and the results was a spectacular explosion. Not much was left. Frank
    Dude may be unhappy about his decision, now. There was a recall on the Model S that might have gotten Tesla to fix it for him. Oh well.

Boolit Master
    if you watch the lekky car videos ,such as Rich s Rebuilds......you get a much better idea of Ev costs in general......The EV fanboys admit EV is nowhere near cost effective unless you ra a Uber /taxi driver,or a real estate agent.....the big attraction for the high daily mileage operator. is/was free charging on Tesla s rapid charge network......and as even the fanboys point out ,an 8 year old Tesla is worth $22,000 with a new battery fitted costing $22,000.......so you might as well blow it up..........add to this state governments making moves to add a cost burden to EVs to equate to lost gasoline taxes.

A lot of people think EVs are pretty much maintenance free. They basically have every system a regular IC engine has just sans IC engine. So they are not. The manufacturers have long or no intervals of service on items like differential fluids so they are often surprised with a failure due to it.

I do wonder though if there is issue disposing of the vehicle, mainly the batteries. If you would have to pay to scrap the old battery or if someone takes them for nothing.

Boolit Master

"I do wonder though if there is issue disposing of the vehicle, mainly the batteries. If you would have to pay to scrap the old battery or if someone takes them for nothing."

I would imagine there is a hefty core charge on them so they would definitely be returned.

Boolit Grand Master

After market battery pack 6,000 dollars. But probably not in Finland. I ran into the same deal with an electric M/C batteries guarenteed for 1 year ran 9 months and they would not honor the warranty, batteries cost 3/4 the price of the bike.

Boolit Master
    I doubt there is enough scrap value in a Tesla battery to warrant recycling it......The lithium content has some value,but as lithium is a very light metal,the whole battery contains maybe a few pound......and from waybck ,the first days of Li batteries the maximum allowable cell size is equivalent to a D size torch cell.....Probably the most valuable recyclable is the copper content....the cell casings would be the bulk of metal ,but as shredded steel not valuable.

Boolit Master
    Incidentally,in the EU the buyers price of a new car includes a disposal fee for dismantling the car and segregating all usable components and materials.......the fee is quite substantial ,like around $7000....I suspect if the car is shipped out of the EU ,to say Africa,then the fee is all straight profit to the maker.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123