Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Knees

Boolit Master

No Knees

Both my knees are gone, I have to consider replacement: what's your experience?
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    Mine aren't quite gone yet, but have been bad since I was 19, and I'm 66 now. The surgeries have improved very much since then. Recovery times are shorter, the incisions are smaller, and the rehab is less painful, from everything I've been able to learn. Still, I'm not looking forward to having it done. I got cocks-comb extract injections in the knees almost a decade ago, and was pain free for the first time in nearly 40 years. That's wearing off now, and the knees are not pain-free anymore. Still not bad, but I can see it coming. I have known several folks who've had it done in the past ten years or so, and they all said it was worth doing. I am sure it won't be as easy as recovering from the new hip replacement surgeries, though. But if you've been hurting long enough, it will probably be better when you wake up from the surgery than it was before they knocked you out. Hope it goes well for you when you finally break down and let them do it.

Bill

Seven knee surgeries, do the physical therapy as often as you can. Get the package of what is expected of you from the Dr. or Therapist. Become familiar with the exercises before your surgery maybe practice a few to understand how they are to be performed correctly. The therapy is the most crucial element for the best possible outcome.

Boolit Master
    Had both knees replaced, four months apart. End of 2014 and the beginning of 2015. Best thing I've ever done. They're not like OEM but hell of a lot better than they were. When I hobbled into the surgeons exam room, the first thing he asked is which one you want done first.

First one went so well, that I opted to get the other one over with. Didn't do any pre exercises before surgery. However, I never been sedentary. Therapy starts day after surgery...........you're not leaving the hospital till you're somewhat up and about and can negotiate a set of stairs. I had in home therapy, couple days a week, for a little over a week. Then I drove myself to therapy, three days a week, for 2-3 months, depending on individual results.

About a week before surgery a knee bending machine was dropped off at the house, on loan for thirty days. Twice a day you strap yourself into it for two hours. You change the angle of flex on the new knee, gradually building up to 135 degrees of flex. I called it the Iron Maiden. Not all surgeons follow this procedure but I can see it's benefits.

Do your therapy and have a positive attitude. You will get though it but it's outcome depends on your participation. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Boolit Master

As Winelover just stated "it's outcome depends on your participation." The success or failure is much more dependent on you than on any other factor.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Do your therapy and have a positive attitude. You will get though it but it's outcome depends on your participation. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
    I am an RN and I can tell you that every single patient under my care post knee replacement have all said the same thing - "I wish I'd done this years ago!". Get it done, you won't regret it! As winelover has stated, surgery is only the start, you need to be an active participant of the rehabilitation phase. Do the exercises ad your therapist has outlined, you'll be walking again in no time!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Dad had his done years ago using, what was at that time, the new style where they use the inserts that can be replaced upon wearing out. If I remember correctly, the “replacement parts” are pretty standard for everyone but they do super detailed MRIs ahead of time and make special jigs to cut bones exactly right so the “generic” parts fit your body. They had him up and walking in less than 12 hours, at my home for “recovery” in less than 3 days, driving 4 hours to his home on day 4 with the first knee. Second knee he skipped the time at my place and went straight home on day 3.

If memory serves it was Dr LeClaire at Crittenden Hospital in Detroit that did his but I’m sure the same process is used elsewhere.

I’ve had several knee surgeries as well and the others have it right, your participation in your prep and recovery determine everything. The more PT you do the faster your recovery (within reason).

Best wishes on the procedure. It will be well worth it for you.

You won't regret it after the initial pain goes away. Do the PT religiously and stay active.

Boolit Master

Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    Had left knee replaced 3 years ago. Feels good. Now the right one is going, hope to have it replaced soon. I'm 70 and "was" very active. Now even regular walking is painfull.

My neighbor had his replaced and told me the story of his SIL. She flipped the PT off, wasn't going to spend the $ and is crippled today a decade later. He did the PT and said what has already been stated, "I wish I had done this sooner".
    Let's go Brandon!

My wife has had both replaced about six weeks apart. She had a good doctor. He emphasized the physical therapy. He prescribed therapy three times a week but insisted that wasn't nearly enough. Other than her visits to the therapist I helped her. We started with twice a day but quickly went to three times a day. You have a limited time to get enough therapy in. The wound will build scar tissue and therapy will help prevent that.

We found that there are two types of therapy needed. One to help the knee bend past 90 degrees and one to improve flexibility. The first is the one you will need pain pills for. The second not so much. Rocking in a rocking chair and pedaling a stationary bike helps with flexibility.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    not good
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    My wife had both knees done at the same time 6 months ago and she thinks it was a complete success. She is 61 and suffered from rheumatoid arthritis for many years. The only advice I can offer is to be very disciplined with the therapy.

Boolit Master

It's obvious that success lies in the diligent observance of physical therapy!
    Thanks to all who responded.

Boolit Buddy

I had my left knee dun 3 yeas ago. Best thing I did.
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA

Boolit Bub

I'm 72 now ,had 3 arthroscopic surgeries (total of 6 ) done on both knees between 1984-2008, was finally told by the surgeon to get them replaced. So the left got done in 2010 and the right in 2016. Other than not being able to kneel on the artificial knees , just the absence of pain while walking was worth doing both. The summers now are mostly cart golf and bench shooting , but no regret's on getting the replacements. For both operations , I was up and walking to the john , dragging the med-tower as soon as I woke up in the hospitol room post surgery. hurt like hell, but as time passed , one realizes that there is a difference between post surgerical pain and bone on bone pain ! the 1st goes away , the 2nd not so much !

Boolit Master

Before my knee was replaced I couldn’t stand in the shop more than 15 minutes or so. Way before I was mostly recovered I was able to stand a couple of hours. Three months after surgery I could stand for as long as I wanted- 5-8 hours.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Great news, I'm at the "less then fifteen minute" stage right now.

Hard work wrecked my left knee, I bought a 500.00 brace to keep me working the last few years as I couldn’t take the recovery time off from being my stroke damaged wife’s caregiver when I wasn’t working. And I wasn’t interested in a work disability. I retired and after she went home I had it replaced and while I was initially sorry I had done it I was able to work through the pain and now 3 years later my knee is 100%. Occasionally it hurts but that’s just the arthritis. You’ll be glad you did yours but be as active as possible before the surgery as the extra muscle helped me recover faster than normal. My therapist was impressed. Do your therapy. Stay active, when you stop moving you start dying. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast