Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Winchester 1886 330gr Gould Express Bullet Loads

Boolit Master

Winchester 1886 330gr Gould Express Bullet Loads

Did some 45-90 loading today on Christmas Eve for the 1886 Winchester using the Lyman 457122 Gould Express HP bullet at 330gr. I cast these in 20:1 alloy to get proper expansion at the expected velocity of 1600fps. I decided to load some smokeless propellant this go around instead of the standard Black Powder loads. I have a little Accurate 5744 left over so I went with a 35gr charge. It is interesting to note that I had left the powder dispenser set to throw 30gr of Buffalo Rifle so I tested the A5744 before any adjustments. The same volumetric setting for the Buffalo Rifle dispensed 30gr of A5744 as well. I have heard it reported that the two propellants have identical properties, and they sure seem to match up. The look the same, smell the same, and weigh the same. They both chronograph identically with other charges in the 45-70 that I have tested.

Anyway, I loaded these up and seated the bullets so I could crimp just over the front driving band. This allows all three lube grooves to be lubed up with SPG. All the test cartridges performed exactly as expected turning an average velocity of 1650fps with an acceptable Standard Deviation. I haven’t put this load on paper yet but I suspect it will give minute of hog groups.

The shooting test went well. No leading visible, minimal fouling in the barrel (expected with 5744), and all cases popped right out of the chamber. Had a great time shooting the 1886 with these loads.

Got some nice pics of the rifle today too. Weather was great here in North Carolina! Still waiting for an elk or moose to wander by.

Attachment 293578 Attachment 293579 Attachment 293580 Attachment 293581
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 12-25-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Very good load!
    I shoot 27 grains of 5744 in my origional 1886 with the 330 poured from an old Ideal mold with very good results. Took my first Moose with that rifle and load with a frontal shot from 60 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    I shot an 8 pt Whitetail quartering on the point of the near shoulder with the Gould cast of 95/2.5/2.5. Bullet was recovered under the skin of the offside ham, flowered out like a hollyhock. That was the only one that I have ever recovered, all others have left large exit wounds. So much for the notion that you need 500gr bullets for deer hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    I have harvested a number of whitetails and 1 turkey with the Gould boolit cast 30/1 started at BP velocity (1400-1450) with a Sharps and Browning 1886. Two of the deer shot at very close range of 20-30 yards had multiple exit wounds. This boolit was designed around BP velocity and I would be a bit concerned about penetration on piggys started at 1600 given my experience, especially given pigs are often shot at close range. I killed a number at ranges measured in feet when we hunted with hounds. It performed better on longer shots where the velocity had dropped off. I never shot a pig with one though.

Boolit Master
    that is a sweet looking Winchester
    shooting elk is no joke around here

https://www.wvlt.tv/2022/01/08/rewar...-co-increases/

Banned
    One of my favorite lightweight bullets in my 45/70’s.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    I have harvested a number of whitetails and 1 turkey with the Gould boolit cast 30/1 started at BP velocity (1400-1450) with a Sharps and Browning 1886. Two of the deer shot at very close range of 20-30 yards had multiple exit wounds. This boolit was designed around BP velocity and I would be a bit concerned about penetration on piggys started at 1600 given my experience, especially given pigs are often shot at close range. I killed a number at ranges measured in feet when we hunted with hounds. It performed better on longer shots where the velocity had dropped off. I never shot a pig with one though.
    Not to worry about penetration at 1600 fs or less. It acts like a Nosler Partition. even if the nose is sheared off, the rear portion (240 grains or so) keeps penetrating like a 44 mag swc.

Boolit Buddy
    Tar Heel: Virginia dep of wildlife released 50 elk about 50 miles north of Scott County Virginia several years ago. Have you seen any of those rascals? Or have you heard if they multiplied, and spread out? That's a real nice rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the report. Beautiful rifle. I have the Gould mold but have not hunted with it yet. But I will!

Boolit Master
    that poached elk shot in claiborne county, tn may have been one of those or offspring from those released in Scott county. a lot of folks are really fired up about the return of eastern elk hopefully there will be success and elk tags will be a common thing in the future

Boolit Buddy
    No worries about penetration but I will probably never hunt anything bigger or tougher than TX whitetails with the Gould boolit, on which it is very effective at BP velocity. It would be interesting to see ballistic gel tests with this bullet with different velocities and alloys, not likely to happen though. When I first hunted with a 45/70 over 40 years ago I used those bruiser hand loads, 300 JHP over a bunch of 4198. The last jacketed load I fired at game was a 400 JSP loaded to 1850 on a NM elk back in the 90's. Probably have over 400 300JHP and 400JSP in my inventory likely to collect dust till I am pushing up daisies. The older I get the less I like recoil and the 300-500 grain cast bullets at BP speeds are a lot more comfortable.

Boolit Buddy
    The Gould does very well with duplex loads and is a blast to shoot. I put 5 to 7 gr of 5744 in the case, enough FFG BP to result in about 1/10" compression when the bullet is seated. I use a card wad over the powder and SPG or Lyman BP lube in the lube grooves. You can shoot all day without cleaning! This technique was used by the shooters in the early years of the previous century when reloading with smokeless was not recommended.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Tar Heel: Virginia dep of wildlife released 50 elk about 50 miles north of Scott County Virginia several years ago. Have you seen any of those rascals? Or have you heard if they multiplied, and spread out? That's a real nice rifle.
    Having been closely associated with the VDGIF years ago, we saw the initial surveys for the planned release of these critters. The area where they have been released is PERFECT elk habitat as is the tri-state area around it. The deer in there are as big as elk! There is a lot of natural browse as well as acre upon acre of farmland in sweet bean for these animals. I hunt east of the Mount Airy NC area in Surrey and Stokes counties. While it isn't the Blue Ridge per se, it will wear you out real fast running the terrain there. The elk should do well. I figure all three states will have permits within the next 5 years.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Nice rifle . You see many Moose in North Carolina
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!