Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How cold is it when you go to the. Range

How cold is it when you go to the. Range

Thought about going to the range today,but it's
    To cold for the chronograph..
    What's the coldest when you go to test loads.. maybe Tues. I see it might be ,40 degrees..
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Wind is more of a bother than cold. Below 20 F is usually the cutoff for me.

Chris
    Proud member of the Boom and Crockpot Club

Here, it's colder than a pawn broker's heart.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Mold
    If you are looking for the coldest when testing loads it was -11 when chronographing my sharps. Trap shooting at -25, several shotguns refused to fire at that temp.

Boolit Master
    If we were to go on Christmas day over here it's supposed to be right at 80*.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Buddy

Today it was 30F with 0-10 mph wind and I was test firing a 24" LSI Puma (Rossi) 92 lever and a 16" Chiapet 92 lever, both chambered in 44 Magnum, but I was firing 44 Specials. Fired 30 rds through each in about 25-30 mins total outside the Jeep. Wasn't cold at all. (The good news, both the 92s handled the handloads just fine; the bad news is the Chiapet's mag follower gets stuck where the mag tube is ground for the rear band screw. I'll just turn and polish a mandrel to push through to iron out the "dent" in the area thinned for the band screw, and then thin the diameter of the screw a bit, but I digress . . .)

If the temp gets in the teens I don't stay long; ironically that's when I have the range to myself. If the temp gets in the single digits I wear furs and snow camouflage, and snowshoes, and shoot a Finnish 28-30 Mosin with a 180 gr cast GC over 12 gr of Unique in old Norma 7.63x53r cases (yes, that's correct, x53r). The Soviets pile up like cordwood.

Noah

Boolit Master
    -2F this morning I couldnt believe I was the only one there, could not tell if I was shiverin, or it just my normal shakes. Still could not hit nuthin, I think I might have even missed the backstop!!!

Boolit Grand Master

The colder, the better. The days the range is empty is when I like to test things. The warm days I just shoot.

Boolit Man
    45 deg. or warmer , I'll shoot outdoors.Today was 35 deg.and spittin snow so fess'd up 5 bucks to use our club's indoor range.Fingers can't take the cold.

Boolit Master
    I tested loads at -36°F in 2019. Just the only time I had! Wasn't fun, wasn't truly necessary - but I shot my ladders and got through it!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Hot or cold aren't the issue with me; it's the wind and rain. I shoot on public lands. Even if the temperature is pleasant, if the wind's blowing like a hurricane I can't get anything productive done. If it's raining - that's just a misery.

Boolit Master
    Same for me. Wind above 20mph is usually carrying enough sand to make it miserable around here. I like to shoot when the wind is 10mph or below.

Temps? Not many days it is below freezing down here so temps don't matter much. I'd rather it be in the 30's than over 90F.

Rain? What's that?

It was terrible when I went last week, I mean, I had to wear my windbreaker almost the whole time.

Boolit Buddy
    PA resident … last weekend was mid 30’s and I only lasted about an hour and my digits were starting to get stiff … was just an ok day. Wouldn’t want to go much lower and still try to enjoy it.

Boolit Master
    What is the coldest weather you intend to hunt with, using your cast bullets? That determines what temperatures I like to test my hunting loads out at. I want to know, what to expect on that first critical shot out of a cold barrel. Might be several inches off, due to lube and powder selections.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Friday the temp. was about 70, today it is 30. This time of year we have yoyo weather.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned

its not uncommon for it to be in the - range on the temp gauge at camp in deer season. Ive also seen it as warn as 60. Ive seen bare ground, rain and ive seen 2 or more feet of snow in deer season. By muzzle loader season in the first week of december theres about always snow on the ground.

Boolit Master

For me, if it goes much below 30F. Then I move to the covered rifle house. That's where I live until spring.

Boolit Master
    When the temp gets under 40deg F I don't have much interest in shooting or choreographing.

Moderator Emeritus

Supposed to be warming here, 54 on Christmas. GF asked if we could shoot then. I love Christmas and my GF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast