MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you ever move...

When my employer transferred me to a new job at Oak Ridge TN working on the nuclear cleanup program, I went first, and left my family to take care of moving our belongings later. I packed up my Chevy Celebrity (remember those?) with all the essentials I thought I would need right away. Of course that included enough reloading gear and supplies to get started, a small collection of rifles, and a handgun.

The Y12 plant in Oak Ridge is a secure facility where they still do nuclear research, and make some parts and pieces for various classified projects. I was staying at the hotel the company paid for, and so kept all my stuff in the car which I drove to work the first day. First thing was a full day of HR lectures and various safety briefings. One presenter was describing the security rules and put up a slide that showed all the things that were never allowed on site. Guns of any description, explosives, etc. etc. The blood drained from my face; I pictured a bomb dog alerting on my Chey wagon. I could see myself in handcuffs lead off to jail, or worse.

As soon as the lunch break arrived, I ran out to the car and drove back to the hotel, where I carried all the contraband into my room, only a slightly less suspicious activity. I did survive that first day, and stayed working there for the next seven years. My employer hired a moving company to handle our household goods, which included a half-ton of lead ingots.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Last time I moved had a few friends help me, they still remember how much work it was. I hope to not do it again, but life has a way sometimes changing things. I have a whole lot more stuff that would have to be moved now.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Mold
    When I moved from Atlanta to Denver, I had a lot of stuff too, and finding a reliable moving company was key. Most moving companies will help with a big move, but for your pistols, you’ll need to check local laws and possibly transport them yourself, as many movers have restrictions on transporting firearms.

Boolit Master
    Moved 16 times with the Army including twice to Germany. Moved again by myself from WI to KY and hired movers. Downsized a lot for the last move and brought my guns and reloading and casting stuff (powder, alloy and primers) myself over several trips. Was surprised how much there was even after downsizing. If I move again will downsize even further. If I die here my son asked me what I wanted done with all my stuff, told him didn't care and it was his problem. His response was "gee, thanks Dad".

Boolit Grand Master

It took me 7-10 years to get the last of my stuff out of the ancestral home. My little brother still had a fair pile of things to drag out when we settled my Father’s estate. My older brother had moved so many times he didn’t own anything he couldn’t fit in the back of a pickup truck!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

After Irene put 8 inches in my house [just enough to wreck most everything] everything had to be emptied to rip out the floors, 4 ft of Sheetrock on the walls, wiring, kitchen cabinets etc. Most wound up next to the street to be hauled off. Solid wood and nonporous items were cleaned off and stored in a rented container in the yard. All our clothes were bagged and frirnds washed them and kept them for us. My barn only got a 1/2 inch in it so all my reloading gear and components went out there. My firearms went to several friends to keep safe, handguns went into a couple large safe deposit boxes. My wife and I were put in a hotel for a month or two but then we had a fema mini trailer put in my yard. Took a year to get the house elevated and rebuilt. We didn't move far but it was a hard year.

Boolit Master
    Another Army type. Only 6 moves with the military, 5 more after that. Guns were always moved with us when we drove to the new location (along with ammo, powder, etc). I didn't have a larger collection until later in life. The kicker on that one was when we decided to full time in the RV. That was a big downsize. Made the other moves look like a walk in the park.

When we got into the current house, and being over 70, one of my main considerations is how would my wife or family have to deal with my 'stuff'. I have sold off a few more guns that I haven't used or shot in a while and am down to my 'favorites', the ones I use a lot.

Smile

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RELOADING BENCH 001 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	325817 MOVE....are you kidding me? And this is about 1/3 of my junk...er, I mean equipment.
    Last edited by murf205; 04-18-2024 at 02:04 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RELOADING BENCH 002 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	325819 Some things a mover would cry over and I really don't want them to see what is in the "shop"
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I've got a 24x32 heated work shop with a full compliment of woodworking tools, plus a South Bend lathe and all the casting and reloading stuff needed for 70+ calibers/gauges. Plus a separate 12x36 building for the 4 iceboats, the dune buggy and the lawn/yard stuff. And the Harley. And the Rupp minibike.

Good thing is my daughter just bought a house and one of the iceboats and the dune buggy will disappear with her. And the 1938 Oliver 70. And maybe the 10', 1940's vintage runabout with the Mercury 10 horse motor. I can only hope.

That should get me down to one semi load of stuff to move when the wife and I decide a trilevel ain't for old people.
    Last edited by 15meter; 04-18-2024 at 05:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm going to move within a year to the farm where we are trying to build a house. I need to start taking a bucket or two of wheel weights each time I go on my regular trips up there. I've got a non-running car to either get running or have towed. A good amount of tools and other stuff in the detached garage. If I ever had to move off the farm with what is already up there, well, I would have to have a big auction 1st. There are 3 generations of tools and things there. One blessing is that there was no moving to do at all when my Grandfather and Father passed as I just kept everything where it was and kept right on using it as always. We have 5 tractors, a bunch of hay equipment, two good size barns full of tools, etc. A large shop with many tool chests and cabinets packed full, welder, torches, saws lathe/mill combo machine, even have a large grist mill that has been restored of all things. A belt driven hammer mill too for grinding grain to feed cattle of hogs. Several old trucks, a bunch of old V8 engines and transmissions, the list goes on and on. Moving is not even a distant thought once I get to the farm to live with what little I have at my present house.

Boolit Master

My will and estate trust name a 40 something caster/shooter/reloader/tinkerer/machinist/good friend to come to my house and remove all reloading equipment, dies, molds, lead, cast bullets, powder and primers (maybe 30K worth) for his personal use. My daughters are grateful.

Boolit Master
    44Blam, I noticed your place of residence is Nashville IN. Do you know Clint from C&C surplus? I watch his videos all the time, he is the dozer master of the universe. He even mentioned on one of his videos that he was heading home to reload.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I'm going to move within a year to the farm where we are trying to build a house. I need to start taking a bucket or two of wheel weights each time I go on my regular trips up there. I've got a non-running car to either get running or have towed. A good amount of tools and other stuff in the detached garage. If I ever had to move off the farm with what is already up there, well, I would have to have a big auction 1st. There are 3 generations of tools and things there. One blessing is that there was no moving to do at all when my Grandfather and Father passed as I just kept everything where it was and kept right on using it as always. We have 5 tractors, a bunch of hay equipment, two good size barns full of tools, etc. A large shop with many tool chests and cabinets packed full, welder, torches, saws lathe/mill combo machine, even have a large grist mill that has been restored of all things. A belt driven hammer mill too for grinding grain to feed cattle of hogs. Several old trucks, a bunch of old V8 engines and transmissions, the list goes on and on. Moving is not even a distant thought once I get to the farm to live with what little I have at my present house.
    If you end up towing the car, you might be able to put some lead in it depending on the weight. Just a thought.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123