RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you ever move...

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Had to smile at your description - been there and done that. Funny how when you "lose" a boolit or a primer to the floor and just can't seem to find them (they sure do a good job of hiding on a person) they all show up when you do have to pack everything up for a move. And those "problem child" casings! Hah! Does a person ever get to them to either make 'em right or toss them in the scrap brass container? And let's not forget all of those parts, pieces and doo dads that you hang on to because you "might need them"!

I moved a year ago. Found a few things I had thought I'd lost. The movers balked at taking the powder, etc. but since it was a cross-town move, they relented and loaded it up in their truck. They also took my lead; I estimate it to be about 1,000 lbs, give or take.

The guns and ammo, though, I loaded into my little 25-year old Nissan SE v-6. Guns in the cab, ammo in the bed.

Poor little truck made it but being as it was a standard transmission, it was having trouble. On the freeway at a pathetic 55 mph and people blasting by. Embarrassing. But it made it just fine. Sold the truck a few weeks later.

You learn about capacities of trucks doing stuff like that. Crazy!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

It seems from reading everyones post that doing a good job packing and labeling boxes is worth the extra time. I'm probably facing another move and I dread the thought of moving hundreds of pounds of brass and thousands of pounds of lead.

Boolit Master

Dread? No! No dread! It is FUN, if you screw that right into your thinking cap. We all "know" our stuff. Finding the stuff we had not thought about, that was lost, or misplaced is the gift that keeps on giving. It can be Christmas in July...

and Wag, I see your loaded truck as all of the other traffic wizzes by UNTIL that one Fool, too proud in his own mind, wanting to start some road rage sh...tuff, coming up to your window and the LOOK on his face as he rethinks his poor decision upon seeing just what it was that you were hauling. I would pay to see that...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Moved five years ago next month. Used those "storage units" that they move to your new place. Driver hands me half a bucket of my smelted corn muffin lead. Says you a reloader? Seems their forktruck decided to puncture the unit's floor and this is all they found in the yard. I had it in buckets and loose all around the edges. About 2,000 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    and Wag, I see your loaded truck as all of the other traffic wizzes by UNTIL that one Fool, too proud in his own mind, wanting to start some road rage sh...tuff, coming up to your window and the LOOK on his face as he rethinks his poor decision upon seeing just what it was that you were hauling. I would pay to see that...
    Oh, no, it was all tarped an covered up. Nobody was going to get a look at a load of ammo cans. I would have been fighting off a crime lord and his lackeys in this town. Ugh!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Mold
    When I moved from Atlanta to Denver, I had a lot of stuff too, and finding a reliable moving company was key. Most moving companies will help with a big move, but for your pistols, you’ll need to check local laws and possibly transport them yourself, as many movers have restrictions on transporting firearms.

I used Three Movers for my move, and they were efficient and professional. They managed to pack and move my items quickly, which was a huge relief. They can give you a quote based on the amount of stuff you have and the distance of your move. For more information on finding the best moving companies, you might want to check out https://threemovers.com/best-moving-companies/, which can help you compare services and prices.
    Last edited by adnservers; 04-15-2024 at 10:10 AM.

I’ve lost many spent primers. I pick them up one at a time when my wife walks near my bench barefooted.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

When we moved to Florida about 9 years ago I sold off my lead that I had lovingly rendered out into ingots and took the money with us with the intention of replacing my lead with the $900 bucks. Ha! We needed a new floor in the upstairs of the house so we spent the money there instead. When we moved back to Michigan I brought my lead as accumulated in Florida with us. I got the biggest U Haul truck they had and a trailer and drove it all back north. We also got 4 of the storage unit containers for all the rest of our belongings that were deemed safe to load into commercial carriers.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Moved 5 years ago after 27 at the same place.
    Wow Did I have a lot of accumulated " might need that someday" stuff. Starting to filter through and culling out. Some things are like Wow! There it is !

One of my Labs at about 10months old decided a bag of shot needed to come up frome the basement. It made the trip intact but she decided to chew the bag open and spread it around the house. That was 35 years ago! and yes I'm still finding shot!
    A few years ago I shot a tournament, skeet, trap,wobble trap and Bunker trap. I built an O/U From a box of parts and it's the perfect skeet gun. Well a few months later I'm in the safe and my Redheaded Stepchild is NOT there! I tore the house apart, called my shooting buddies, the club. Not seen or heard of. So I called the PA state police, drive an hour to make a report. Nadda. About a year goes by and I'm digging in the safe again and yup you guessed it- there's my Redheaded Stepchild! Don't ask me how I missed it...

Boolit Master

The last time I moved was in 1971 and I vowed never to do it again and I have kept that promise to myself. I will die right where I am at and be happy to go to The Lord from here. james

Boolit Master

Yeah, yeah! Sure, sure! Like none of us ever discovered dies and bullets at the back of the shelf for a handgun or rifle we sold 10 years ago! or was that 20?? Its been so long that I don't remember!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    The last time I moved was in 1971 and I vowed never to do it again and I have kept that promise to myself. I will die right where I am at and be happy to go to The Lord from here. james
    Same here. Moved January of '17. Not doing that again. We talk about finding a place in a warmer area, but we couldn't find what we have here and I love this state so...

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by lancem View Post
    Worse yet. I'm finally moving from my "garage" to my reloading room in the house, some how I have lost a 300 BO seating die and a 22-250 sizing die. I've looked every where and they are not there, how do you loose dies?? I'm sure they will show up but in the mean time I've ordered more...
    Ordering more is the most reliable way to find them.

Sneaky dies, on the other hand like to get into other die boxes and go make friends with the universal decapper etc.

Now it's been three and a half years since my move and I STILL haven't cast one single boolit or loaded one single round. I don't know what's demotivated me, either. Weird.

But I did finally get some things put up and set up and if I get the urge, I can do either. However, I have discovered that I'm missing a box of stuff. Or rather, missing several small items which I suspect are in a small box some where and I can't, for the life of me find it.

One of these days, I'll get through the last of these boxes and stumble across it.

--Wag--

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Oh man, 90 lbs of shot all over the floor... Yikes!
    As kids we reloaded in the basement. Dad had me cover the floor drain in the reloading area with duct-tape. He said the last thing he needed was 1 and 1/8 ounce of #7.5s in the drain lines.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by adnservers View Post
    I want to move now. I found a better job in another city. But I had too much stuff. In a week I have to start my new job but I don't know how to make my move. I also have pistols. Will a moving company help me? Is it cheap?
    adnservers,
    Welcome to the forum.
    You offer so little info about yourself and the locations in question, I am unable to help you, except so say, Load all your pistols into your canoe and make a float trip out of it...and God help you, if your new job is in California.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Joe504 View Post
    We have to much stuff guys.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk
    Yup!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    big Penske rental truck with lift gate and car dolly could be your saving grace. even if you might have to hire a couple helpers from your local labor pool to help load and unload.
    I remember when I moved trying to sell stuff was a nightmare we couldn't even give away the beautiful Ethan Allen quality furniture from my daughter's room. but go to buy new furniture where your moving to and see what it might cost. I have a close lifelong friend who has a saying about stuff and moving. if you have not used it in a year give it some serious thought. if you haven't used it in five years its probably best to get rid of it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast